Trip Report Trip Report: Tres Pelicanos in Decemeber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I absolutely detest being rushed on the boat when it's time to get in the water. That is how stupid mistakes happen (I know, I forgot my weight belt once - doh!) I only dive now with shops/DMs that take their time with all of us making sure everybody is geared up properly & ready to go. What's that - an extra 5+ minutes?
I understand what you are saying but in most instances the time to get ready is not the same time as “time to get in the water.” When the boat arrives at the dive site and opens the pool one should be kitted up and ready to go, especially if it is a group dive and others could potentially be waiting on you. Of course things do happen, oring blows etc so delays do happen. But it should never be because you didn’t start getting your kit ready the moment you hit the boat decking. This is even more true of drift dives where the boat Captain has to position for the drop.

I absolutely detest being rushed on the boat when it's time to get in the water. That is how stupid mistakes happen (I know, I forgot my weight belt once - doh!) I only dive now with shops/DMs that take their time with all of us making sure everybody is geared up properly & ready to go. What's that - an extra 5+ minutes?

Rather than everyone else waiting an extra five minutes for you, why don't you start getting ready five minutes sooner? I never feel rushed but maybe that's because I've got my chit together.

I don't mind being rushed at all, my mask is the only I have trouble with. Everything else - as long as it doesn't get left on the boat, I can fix it quickly on the way down or on the surface. I've lost my BCD weight pockets several times getting in, and I need another diver to get those, but I don't have that problem since switching to a backplate and wing.

To clarify - I start getting ready: unpacking my bag, getting my fins out, regulator on tank, changing into my wet suit,, booties, putting on wrist computer as soon as I get on the boat. I'm talking about when the boat starts to slow as we get closer to the dive site. Yes, then it's time to finish gearing up, with mask being last. My gripe is my experience with some DM's who rush-rush and others who make sure everybody is ready and then give each diver the go to roll off. Rushing can and has led to mistakes and omissions. Trust me, nobody is hanging around waiting for me. It's a tone that is set that I don't like: hurry up and go.

If you have prepared like that I'm not seeing what there is to rush about. I'd rather see the mask on before the BC, or at least around the neck so there isn't any looking around "where is my mask". BC on, ready to roll. In my opinion, what leads to mistakes is people who are still trying to have a conversation when people are supposed to be gearing up. When the boat slows, shut up about your dinner last night or your hotel or your previous trips and get your head in the game.

In all the ops I've used in Coz - at least 6 or 7 - the DM gets in the water first to verify location and current before any diver gets in. And the DM doesn't get in until he and the captain have everybody in their BC.

I learned early on that if I rush prior to splashing, I will forget something. So I get completely ready, except for fins and BC, as soon as I get on the boat...and I'm typically on the boat at the Aldora pier :) . This includes checking my kit, tank PSI, nitrox testing, and setting my DC accordingly. Often some of the newbies look at me and wonder if we're almost at the dive site :).

@ReefHound your comment about the various conversations happening while divers are gearing up is spot-on.

Ha! Seems like the new normal in travel. I have never yet found good sushi in an airport. I don't dive with TP so just guessing here...early fin donning is a safety measure if boat capsizes. I just ask a crew member to rinse my mask if I can't reach the ocean.

Thanks for your review!
If you ever go by Naha - Okinawa airport, there is a shop that sells really good sashimi and sushi. Recommended !

Reactions: MMM
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom