trip report - occidental grand and blue xt sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d56nut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

Figured I'd better get this trip report posted before I get too lazy!!! Our trip was from April 30th through May 7th.

We flew US AIR out of Chicago O'Hare Airport on Saturday April 30th. We had a 45 minute layover in Charlotte, NC. Then flew from Charlotte to Cozumel. No problems with the flights. We got our flights free with our dividend miles. When we got to the airport in Chicago we were offered the opportunity to upgrade the first leg of our flight to first class for a hundred bucks. It was totally worth it!!!

We arrived in Cozumel to a warm, windy, sunny 90 degrees. Customs was no hassle and we headed out to the shuttle vans. Got to sit up front with the air conditioning.

From this point in my trip I'm going to split it up...the hotel and the diving:

The Hotel: THE OCCIDENTAL GRAND

The grounds are just beautiful!!! Our room was plenty big and the bathroom was huge! It was really nice having the tub and the shower separate (tub for gear...shower for us!) A two dollar tip to the maid each day ensured that our room was cleaned early and that we had our mini fridge re-stocked everyday. We were on the top floor of our building and our room had 2 beds (full size I think). If you want a king size bed you need to request the first floor I think. The hotel has 3 specialty restuarants for dinner (reservations required), 1 buffet place for dinner, and 1 pizzera place for dinner. Breakfast is a buffet that also includes made to order eggs. Lunch is a buffet outside (covered) by the beach. We managed to eat at each and every place! Breakfast was always good...fresh fruits (the pineapple was to die for), eggs, french toast, and all the usual buffet stuff. Lunch outside was also good...you just have to find what you like. Our favorite dinner was at La Hacienda. We had the chicken enchiladas in verde sauce. We also at at Sonora Grill (steak house) and Los Olivos (mediterranian). All in all, we were happy with the food. Now, as for the drinks...we thought they pretty much sucked. We stayed at Fiesta Americana 3 times last year (2004) and the drinks were much better there. We aren't big drinkers (especially with the diving) but every drink we ordered was bad (margaritas, amaretto stone sour, fuzzy navel, etc). After a few days we decided it was better to just stick to water and sodas (it's a pepsi place..no coke). There are two pools at the hotel. One is very active...the party pool. The other is quiet. Both are very nice. If you need it, there is internet access (when it's working) for 3.00 for 15 minutes. Checkout was a breeze. We called the front desk from our room and they sent a bellboy to come get our luggage and give us a ride on the golf cart to the lobby (it's a walk otherwise). We did go into town to eat at La Choza. Wonderful food, of course!!! It's one of our favorite places to eat. Now...on to the diving!

DIVING: Blue XT Sea

You've heard it before and you'll hear it again here. Christi's operation is wonderful! We called her on Saturday when we arrived and she told us that we would be picked up at the pier at 8:30 on Sunday morning. They were right on time. On Sunday the water was extremely choppy. It was a bit of a rough ride out to the first site...I felt a tad queasy but once I hit the water I was fine! My hubby is a bit of an air hog and Christi provided him with larger tanks (he was still the first one up most of the week!). When Rick (hubby) hit 700 psi, he was sent to do his safety stop with another person in our group...I got to buddy up with Pedro (divemaster) at that point. Well, 15 minutes later when I got on the boat...which was rocking pretty good with the waves I realized that Rick had been sitting on that rocking boat...and not feeling very well!!! We did our surface interval and went back out. He still wasn't feeling very well but hadn't gotten sick. Mago (captain) called Christi while we were on the dive and asked if he could drive us back to our hotel in a truck after the dives ended so that Rick wouldn't have to be on the boat any longer than needed. She, of course, said yes. Very nice as they didn't have to do that! After that first day the water started calming down and the rest of the week was great. My octo (mine...not rented) started leaking early in the week (monday or tuesday) and Pedro (divemaster) offered to take it in and have it fixed where he gets his gear serviced. I figured it was going to be big bucks...not so! 25.00 for the part...5.00 for the labor. I won't go through all the dive sites we visited as you've all heard about all of them before. We did 10 dives on this trip. My longest dive was an hour and three minutes. Saw eels, turtles, sharks, two squids mating (interesting!), and all the usual beautiful fish. Our surface intervals were always at a pier and/or beach and always lasted at least one hour...many times longer. We were given water, juice, cookies, crackers, pretzels, muffins, and trail mix. On Sunday, Monday and Tuesday we got to dive with Jay from Scubaboard! Great guy!!! Hey Jay...we enjoyed diving with you! On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday we got to dive with Rick Inmann (nothing like having 2 Rick's on the same small boat!). Hey Rick...great diving with you (hope you found your batteries in town!).

It was a wonderful week and we are already starting to plan our next trip. We are trying to decide which hotel we like better...Occidental Grand or Fiesta Americana. Both are great to me. They both have their specific qualities and it's hard to choose between them!

I'm still working on my pictures and I'll post them as soon as we have them all back! If anyone has any questions please ask away!
Michelle & Rick Hart

Okay I have to ask. . .what exactly do two squids mating look like?

d56nut:
Hi All,

Figured I'd better get this trip report posted before I get too lazy!!! Our trip was from April 30th through May 7th.

We flew US AIR out of Chicago O'Hare Airport on Saturday April 30th. We had a 45 minute layover in Charlotte, NC. Then flew from Charlotte to Cozumel. No problems with the flights. We got our flights free with our dividend miles. When we got to the airport in Chicago we were offered the opportunity to upgrade the first leg of our flight to first class for a hundred bucks. It was totally worth it!!!

We arrived in Cozumel to a warm, windy, sunny 90 degrees. Customs was no hassle and we headed out to the shuttle vans. Got to sit up front with the air conditioning.

From this point in my trip I'm going to split it up...the hotel and the diving:

The Hotel: THE OCCIDENTAL GRAND

The grounds are just beautiful!!! Our room was plenty big and the bathroom was huge! It was really nice having the tub and the shower separate (tub for gear...shower for us!) A two dollar tip to the maid each day ensured that our room was cleaned early and that we had our mini fridge re-stocked everyday. We were on the top floor of our building and our room had 2 beds (full size I think). If you want a king size bed you need to request the first floor I think. The hotel has 3 specialty restuarants for dinner (reservations required), 1 buffet place for dinner, and 1 pizzera place for dinner. Breakfast is a buffet that also includes made to order eggs. Lunch is a buffet outside (covered) by the beach. We managed to eat at each and every place! Breakfast was always good...fresh fruits (the pineapple was to die for), eggs, french toast, and all the usual buffet stuff. Lunch outside was also good...you just have to find what you like. Our favorite dinner was at La Hacienda. We had the chicken enchiladas in verde sauce. We also at at Sonora Grill (steak house) and Los Olivos (mediterranian). All in all, we were happy with the food. Now, as for the drinks...we thought they pretty much sucked. We stayed at Fiesta Americana 3 times last year (2004) and the drinks were much better there. We aren't big drinkers (especially with the diving) but every drink we ordered was bad (margaritas, amaretto stone sour, fuzzy navel, etc). After a few days we decided it was better to just stick to water and sodas (it's a pepsi place..no coke). There are two pools at the hotel. One is very active...the party pool. The other is quiet. Both are very nice. If you need it, there is internet access (when it's working) for 3.00 for 15 minutes. Checkout was a breeze. We called the front desk from our room and they sent a bellboy to come get our luggage and give us a ride on the golf cart to the lobby (it's a walk otherwise). We did go into town to eat at La Choza. Wonderful food, of course!!! It's one of our favorite places to eat. Now...on to the diving!

DIVING: Blue XT Sea

You've heard it before and you'll hear it again here. Christi's operation is wonderful! We called her on Saturday when we arrived and she told us that we would be picked up at the pier at 8:30 on Sunday morning. They were right on time. On Sunday the water was extremely choppy. It was a bit of a rough ride out to the first site...I felt a tad queasy but once I hit the water I was fine! My hubby is a bit of an air hog and Christi provided him with larger tanks (he was still the first one up most of the week!). When Rick (hubby) hit 700 psi, he was sent to do his safety stop with another person in our group...I got to buddy up with Pedro (divemaster) at that point. Well, 15 minutes later when I got on the boat...which was rocking pretty good with the waves I realized that Rick had been sitting on that rocking boat...and not feeling very well!!! We did our surface interval and went back out. He still wasn't feeling very well but hadn't gotten sick. Mago (captain) called Christi while we were on the dive and asked if he could drive us back to our hotel in a truck after the dives ended so that Rick wouldn't have to be on the boat any longer than needed. She, of course, said yes. Very nice as they didn't have to do that! After that first day the water started calming down and the rest of the week was great. My octo (mine...not rented) started leaking early in the week (monday or tuesday) and Pedro (divemaster) offered to take it in and have it fixed where he gets his gear serviced. I figured it was going to be big bucks...not so! 25.00 for the part...5.00 for the labor. I won't go through all the dive sites we visited as you've all heard about all of them before. We did 10 dives on this trip. My longest dive was an hour and three minutes. Saw eels, turtles, sharks, two squids mating (interesting!), and all the usual beautiful fish. Our surface intervals were always at a pier and/or beach and always lasted at least one hour...many times longer. We were given water, juice, cookies, crackers, pretzels, muffins, and trail mix. On Sunday, Monday and Tuesday we got to dive with Jay from Scubaboard! Great guy!!! Hey Jay...we enjoyed diving with you! On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday we got to dive with Rick Inmann (nothing like having 2 Rick's on the same small boat!). Hey Rick...great diving with you (hope you found your batteries in town!).

It was a wonderful week and we are already starting to plan our next trip. We are trying to decide which hotel we like better...Occidental Grand or Fiesta Americana. Both are great to me. They both have their specific qualities and it's hard to choose between them!

I'm still working on my pictures and I'll post them as soon as we have them all back! If anyone has any questions please ask away!
Michelle & Rick Hart

Hey Michelle,

Great report - you actually got yours in before me!! It was great diving with you and Rick and Rick I. I am hoping to make a return trip 9-12 months from now. Probably will go to FA again. Really liked it and so did my wife (non-diver).

Jay

Hi again!

TIM....well, two squids mating looks like...ummm....two squids kind of mashed together!

JAY...we are planning another trip, too! Maybe early December. We may go back to Fiesta Americana also...we loved it there, too. The Occidental Grand was great...both have their qualities. We only went to the Grand because we had the free flights. Might go back to Fiesta Americana as the cost is less and the quality is still good.

staying at the grand in near future, does anyone have any info on the different rooms was thinking about upgrading from the deluxe room to the royal with concierge, any thoughts on if it's worth it? .

Hi Michelle,

When you arrived is Cozumel, remember seeing the people at the airport anxiously (or not so anxiously) peering out the windows waiting to board the USAir flight back to Charlotte :) Well my wife and I were in that mass of people.

We also stayed at the OC Grand. Glad to hear you enjoyed the place, it really is a great property and the staff and service were exceptional.

GREG R.:
staying at the grand in near future, does anyone have any info on the different rooms was thinking about upgrading from the deluxe room to the royal with concierge, any thoughts on if it's worth it? .

Hey Greg,

My wife and I were at the OC Grand 4/23 - 4/30 and stayed in the Royal Club buildings.

Some advantages to the Royal Club:
1. Free internet access (just can't seem to keep my fingers off the keyboard) :)
2. We could make restaurant reservations for La Hacienda, Los Olivos or the Sonora Grill at any time.
3. There is an additional restaurant in the Royal Club area which is very nice. It is open for all three meals and is a great place for a hot breakfast (as opposed to the sometimes lukewarm breakfasts we had in the buffet) or a nice quiet lunch or dinner
4. There is a large hot tub in the Royal Club area with padded lounge chairs which worked out great for me as I wrenched up my back while in Cozumel.
5. The mini bar was filled every day
6. We also received extra towels (including beach towels) each evening (I don't know if this was part of the regular rooms service or not).
7. There was a concierge on duty around the clock to help with any needs we had...which worked out great for me whenever I needed an ice pack for my back.
8. The Royal Club buildings were the closest to the beach and just a few steps from the quieter pool area.

As d56nut stated the resort is very nice. It's clean and well kept. We're not drinkers so I can't comment on the adult beverages but in regards to the meals most were good but could be a little hit or miss. We enjoyed the specialty restaurants although with both Los Olivos and the Sonora Grill something seemed to be missing. The food was good, the service was impeccable but when our meal was over I just felt that something was lacking. But to be fair I was a little fidgetly all week. Sitting around with a bad back instead of diving and golfing didn't have me in the best of mindsets.
As for La Hacienda, I could have eaten there every night. The setting was beautiful (right on the beach, sunsets, nice breeze, etc) and the food was very good. The pizzeria while the food was good the service was disappointing. On the night we went there they seemed to be understaffed. It took almost 2 hours for salad, soup and a personal pizza. The lunch buffet beach was pretty good. The other buffet (La Posada) was a little hit or miss. A couple breakfasts were good, others were cold. The one lunch we had there was good. We did not have dinner there at all. We did go into town several evenings for dinner and had much better meals there (I did a mini trip review in the Cozumel section).

Would I stay at the Grand again and if so pay the extra for the Royal Club? Yes.
We really enjoyed our stay in Cozumel (as soon as I got over feeling sorry for myself that I could not dive) and look forward to our next visit.

Sorry this was so long. Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about the resort.

d56nut:
On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday we got to dive with Rick Inmann (nothing like having 2 Rick's on the same small boat!). Hey Rick...great diving with you (hope you found your batteries in town!)
Nice report, Michelle, thanks! Great meeting and diving with you!

Yes, found the batteries, but the flooded light never recovered.

TWO Ricks on one dive boat?? Like a dream come true... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom