Trip Report, Nekton Pilot, Belize 12/03/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for your report. I would like to do that trip but my wife is afraid of getting sea sick. Where there any people that you knew of that got sea sick on the trip?
Thanks.

floydpackard:
Thanks for your report. I would like to do that trip but my wife is afraid of getting sea sick. Where there any people that you knew of that got sea sick on the trip?
Thanks.

May I speak of the numerous times I have been aboard her?

No matter how stable a platform, someone will get seasick at some point.

Does it rock and roll? No, the table edges don't even have quarter round, the salon's electronic gear sits atop shelves, the books and vhs tapes sit on shelves.

When you set something upon the narrow ledge of the wash basin, it will be sitting there when you return.

The air inside is cool and clean, with strict rules about not dragging sea-critters inside with you.

It doesn't roll, but it has a low frequency throb, kind of like a 50+ foot sailboat under sail. I would suggest a lower deck cabin as close to midship as possible. You can feel some of the "surge" when you are further forward, but I really could only notice this in 10 foot seas (quite unusual).

Here's why: http://www.nektoncruises.com/Liveaboards/SWATH.aspx

This is a very pleasant boat.

As their engineer says, in reference to her speed, "She's a slow boat, but she's ugly"

Let me add this- it has all the speed that you'll need. They reposition her when you are snoring or eating.

Mmmmm. Nekton food good!

floydpackard:
Thanks.

I would second what RoatanMan said. On our trip I'm pretty sure no one got sea sick. Getting sea sick would be hard to do aboard that ship.

floydpackard:
Thanks.

My son usually gets motion sick very easily, but was off the Dramamine by the 4th day, she was so smooth.....

bikefox:
I was checking out their website today. I was wondering if most of the cabins have a single queen bed or two doubles? The boat layout on their site makes it look like mostly single queens.
BikeFox - The two most forward cabins on each level are queen bed only. The other cabins can be converted between 2 twin or 1 queen. Hope this helps

:monkeydan Yippee - just booked a week on the boat - Feb 25th

On the seasick front, this is one of the major reasons I chose this boat. It is likely to be considerably more stable than a monohull in the same water conditions. I am guessing that this advantage goes away in really heavy seas, but I don't plan to be out in those conditions.:D I have tossed my cookies on more than one dive, even floating on the surface in a moderate swell will do it for me. Thankfully down even just a few feet and its gone, even if I am bouncing around in the same swell. Go figure.

I like boats, owned three, but have to be very very careful or else.

Maybe redundant from other posts, but I find if I keep my eyes on the horizon, stand not sit, in the middle of the boat (middle from all directions) that eventually I get my sea legs. Eventually being a day or two. I have been on a boat that was pitching, rolling to the point where 20% of the passengers were sick and managed to be ok following this advice. Whatever you do DO NOT go into the head to be sick This is guaranteed to make it worse. Over the side is way better. Fresh air and a horizon line that you can look at. DO NOT go into your cabin and lie down - same thing you need a fixed point of reference so your brain can start to override the stuff that the ears are delivering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom