Trip Report-May 14-19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
Flew into Cancun from Seattle (on Alaska Airlines) with 2 of my "kids" (aged 26 and 30). Collectivo from Cancun airport to Playa Del Carmen ($18US/person). Took a total of 1 hour (15 min waiting for the van to "fill up" and 45 min enroute).

Walked 2 blocks from where the van lets you off (right next to bus station). To the ferry. Got to the dock just in time to catch the 6PM ferry to Coz. Taxi to Fiesta Americana (charged $10, later, found out that I should have only paid $7US)

Checked in. Had room on second floor (which is the floor the lobby is on). Room was fairly nice (last trip stayed at Occidental Grand so may have been a little spoiled). Bathroom was VERY cramped. Had to straddle the toilet then sit down and reverse getting up.

Had dinner at the buffet. As reported here, the buffet food is not great, but edible. We were doing to AI, so ate at the hotel all but one dinner (ate that at Casa Dennis).

Had dinner one night at the "specialty restaurant". Food there was substantially better than the buffet (but limited to one dinner there per week).

Dove with Dive House (on-site dive op). I was very pleased with the quality of their operation. That boats are larger than the "small/fast" boats that I have used the past couple of trips (Alison Dennis and Blue XT Sea). They are not as fast, but the service was similar to what I had seen on the small boats.

We were fairly lucky, number of divers varied from 12 to 6 on different days, so it didn't turn into a "cattle boat". Divers were polled on which dives they wanted to do and then discussed conditions with the dive master. Those with computers were allowed to dive them and non-computer divers were limited by the tables. Buddy pairs ascended when reaching 700psi for a 15 ft safety stop. Boat pick-up was always reliable and relatively easy.

Dives: Palancar Bricks, Palancar Caves, Columbia Shallows, Dahlia, Tormentos, Mexican Navy Ship (C-53, I believe), and Santa Rosa. All dives were very nice. Saw all the standard stuff: turtles, nurse sharks, barracuda, lobsters, toad fish, etc, etc). Water temp was very moderate. I dove with a shorty and my kids dove with no thermal protection and were comfortable.

Apple representative on site at the FA was very helpful and good source of how much to pay for taxis, etc.

Dinner at Casa Dennis was very enjoyable.

Rich Hagelin

Nice report, Rich. I am sorry that we didn't meet at the FA while we were there. We met a bunch of other SB'rs at La Choza on the 15th, and ate at Casa Denis a few days later. Both were great! I will post a report tomorrow.

richhagelin:
Flew into Cancun from Seattle (on Alaska Airlines)
Hi Rich: Thanks for the report. So is it just me is it really expensive to get to Cancun this year. I'm trying to get there from Portland, OR, and I spent hours on the travel sites trying to find cheap airfares. Alaska was my first choice, but they wanted $700 for the week I wanted to go (last week of July). I ended up on American Airlines (through Dallas) for $608. United has a new flight to Cancun out of Denver, but it too was in the $700 range from Portland. I could have saved a little money by going through American West but that is by far my least favorite airline to fly on. I know also I could have saved more if I was more flexible on the days I was flying, but my TS was only available Sunday to Sunday. Last October the American flight out of Portland was $450.

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom