Trip Report: Kona Diving Company 1/6-1/11 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaERDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi folks!

I went to the Big Island with my girlfriend 2 months ago. My girlfriend was not PADI certified before our trip and was planning to get her C-card in Kona. We did a lot of research into the different dive operators on the Kona coast and choose Kona Diving Company based on the universally positive reviews on Tripadvisor. It turned out to be one of the most awesome vacation experiences we have ever had. Kerry and the folks at Kona really made us feel like we were diving with friends.

Accommodations: We booked our trip through Expedia and stayed at the Sheraton. Definitely a comfortable hotel with nice views of one of the Manta diving sites. Premium prices at restaurants and bars however and no swimmable beach. Also a little of a drive from downtown and farther from the dock.

Weather: Beautiful and calm conditions with water temperatures around 76 degrees. Good visibility. A little trouble with surge during Manta Dives but I hear that is normal.

Dive Shop: Kona Diving Company has a dive shop which is very easily accessible close to an exit from the highway. Good selection of equipment at good prices, especially if you take a class and get a discount. I bought a Oceanic Geo 2 in San Francisco prior to the trip and realized that I could have saved about $60 if I got it at Kona Diving Company!! My GF bought her mask there.

Dives: My first day of diving was a Saturday long range dive. Pretty much a full day of diving. Kerry made some great snacks to keep us fed and happy during the trip out and back. Did a site call Suck'em up which was featured a lava tube, as well as another site which I could not remember. This was planned as a 3 tank dive but it turned out to be a 2 tank day because.... we saw an ENORMOUS WHALE SHARK on our way to the third dive. Spotted by our eagle eyed captain who gently got us close enough that we were able to slip in and swim with mask and snorkels. Spent more than a half an hour swimming around this magnificent animal, everyone was respectful and kept their distance from the shark. One of the divers on the boat had an awesome camera and took the shot that is now my profile pic. This was the most beautiful experience I have ever had diving. Suspending in cobalt blue waters next to this amazing animal.
The next two days were spent with my gf as she got her open water check out dives done as detailed below.
On the last night, pretty much a couple hours after my gf had her pic taken for her C-card, we did the Manta Night Dive with Kona. This was spectacular. This was a 2 tank Dive, the first in the late afternoon which allowed us to become familiar with the site and got a preview of a few Mantas swilling, shadowed against the dimming light. The night dive itself was a surreal Close Encounters of the Third Kind, sort of experience. There are other operators there and we purposefully got in last. Swam down to a "campfire" of several groups with dive lights huddled on the rocks against the surge. You need to hold on to some rocks to not get knocked around. All the time, there were about 16 huge Mantas buzzing us only a few inches from our heads. After the other groups left, it was just us and the Mantas for several minutes. This is THE signature dive of the area and you should not miss this.

Open Water Course: Ok so this really made our trip great. My gf was extremely apprehensive prior to the course and actually had a mini freak out in the hotel the night before her check out dives. But all was well because her instructor, Paul, was totally awesome. Took his time and repeatedly calmed her down and walked her through mask clearing, etc. This did wonders for her confidence and by the end of the first check our dive she was totally having an amazing time. Watching Paul work with my gf was totally impressive and I got the sense that I was watching a natural teacher at work. By the end of the last day, she was so comfortable that we did the Manta Night Dive together...wow.

Staff: So this is were Kona Diving Company really excels. The entire time we were there, the crew made us feel like we were diving with a group of friends. Kerry is amazing and really worked to make sure that we were happy and comfortable. And makes brownies to die for. Paul was our main DM and instructor but the other DMs were likewise great. Also made a good effort to spot wildlife on each dive, so each trip ended up with a mini whale and dolphin watching experience.

In conclusion: If you are going to Kona, dive with Kona Diving Company. Period. This is a very professional and personable operation. We did not want to leave. The only downside is that I think my girlfriend is now completely spoiled and all other trips will have to measure up

The second dive site was the Matterhorn and you completely neglected to mention the hammerhead!

Reliving such an epic day through your excellent report was a breath of fresh air. Kerry and Kona Diving Company are always a sure bet for top notch Kona Coast diving. I'll probably not go elsewhere as long as they're around. Thanks for the report!

I totally agree. Kona Diving is the best there is. We dove with them over Christmas and could not have been happier.

Nice trip report. We dove with KDC Dec 30 and Jan 2. Definitely the benchmark to compare to. Don't think I ever had hot soup on a dive boat before. Nice boat too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom