Trip Report Trip Report - Key Largo 5/13-5/16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwarrenod

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I and our oldest son (he dives, she loves to be a beach and pool bunny) spent 3 nights in KL, he and I did 9 dives over 3 days. We were on Molasses Reef for two Dives the afternoon of Friday the 13th. That trip with with SeaDwellers, I had a 2 tank trip rain check to use up and I’ve enjoyed diving with them.

The first two dives were fun, first dives for my son with his new reg and SPG set up. I‘ve enjoyed my Cressi set up so much that after talking with him about options I ordered it for him for his birthday. He’s also a big fan now! Vis was great, lots of reef fish, sharks and one smaller turtle seen on those two dives. Water temp 82F.

We stayed 2 nights at Amoray Dive Resort and did our final 7 dives with them. Really enjoyed the accomodations and the crew on shore and on the boat were great.

The next day, we did 5 dives. First two on French Reef and the other two on Molasses. One of the afternoon dives was on the Benwood, which set up the final dive of the day in a great way. Vis was good, but degraded a bit on both the second dives of each trip. But lots and lots of fish in the different depths, from the bottom right up to the top. Saw a large group of ‘Cuda at about 3’ in 30’ of water. Kinda of cool to see.

The highlight of the trip with the 5th and final dive that day. Our first night dive on, and back to the Benwood. I’ve heard great things about night dives, wasn’t sure how well I’d like it. I’ve got 41 dives “under my wetsuit” now and it was a great time. My son and I splashed a bit early, still a bit of surface light, and a full moon meant that I didn’t really need a light for the first 10 min or so of the dive. Two groups of about 10 divers each on the wreck so never felt “alone in the dark”. Tons of turtles, parrot fish and a goliath grouper were seen and enjoyed.

Our last dives were the next am. I crossed off another ”scuba diving bucket list item”, Christ of The Abyss. Glad that I saw it, don’t need to see it again. I’d suggest to anyone who’s going to do many dives out of KL, its worth seeing. Enjoyed the reef structure in that area quite a bit. Several fun swim throughs to enjoy. Our final dive (we did COTA first dive) was nearby on Horseshoe Reef. More fun swim throughs and diving fun with my son.

Flew home the next night and called a great trip! Just pics of my son and I on the boat, haven’t downloaded and edited any video yet. As an aside, my son ”lost” the go-pro we had on one of our early dives. When we got back on the boat it was floating in the fresh water tub. Boat crew had seen it and sent a snorkeler to grab it!

Attachments

• D775A1ED-B723-4A54-B9A0-2EE02E532C37.jpeg
    D775A1ED-B723-4A54-B9A0-2EE02E532C37.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 34F807CC-75F7-4AF4-A20C-217B38827476.jpeg
    34F807CC-75F7-4AF4-A20C-217B38827476.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 64
  • E4B6FA70-72DC-4E3D-95EC-B578FDCA633F.jpeg
    E4B6FA70-72DC-4E3D-95EC-B578FDCA633F.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 44303E0E-3525-476C-8B4E-D8121CF346FB.jpeg
    44303E0E-3525-476C-8B4E-D8121CF346FB.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 73
  • A8086097-0517-4431-9272-8D06D41A2A29.jpeg
    A8086097-0517-4431-9272-8D06D41A2A29.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 60
  • BD847EF4-358D-4968-A056-C3768724CF5A.jpeg
    BD847EF4-358D-4968-A056-C3768724CF5A.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 67
  • EDB9DB6F-1DD7-4323-813C-A0CC2636599B.jpeg
    EDB9DB6F-1DD7-4323-813C-A0CC2636599B.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 4F412A93-3A81-4899-AF77-AFA2B6A06FEE.jpeg
    4F412A93-3A81-4899-AF77-AFA2B6A06FEE.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 76
Congratulations on good diving with side order of quality family time. I got to dive out of Key Largo back in 2013 and it's on my 'I'd like to go back there' list.

Richard.

Awesome, thanks for sharing. Glad you got such a dive-dense vacation in, that is impressive.

When we got back on the boat it was floating in the fresh water tub.
Great eyes on the boat Capt & Crew for something that small. Shows they are paying attention to the water line !!

My wife and I and our oldest son (he dives, she loves to be a beach and pool bunny) spent 3 nights in KL, he and I did 9 dives over 3 days. We were on Molasses Reef for two Dives the afternoon of Friday the 13th. That trip with with SeaDwellers, I had a 2 tank trip rain check to use up and I’ve enjoyed diving with them.

The first two dives were fun, first dives for my son with his new reg and SPG set up. I‘ve enjoyed my Cressi set up so much that after talking with him about options I ordered it for him for his birthday. He’s also a big fan now! Vis was great, lots of reef fish, sharks and one smaller turtle seen on those two dives. Water temp 82F.

We stayed 2 nights at Amoray Dive Resort and did our final 7 dives with them. Really enjoyed the accomodations and the crew on shore and on the boat were great.

The next day, we did 5 dives. First two on French Reef and the other two on Molasses. One of the afternoon dives was on the Benwood, which set up the final dive of the day in a great way. Vis was good, but degraded a bit on both the second dives of each trip. But lots and lots of fish in the different depths, from the bottom right up to the top. Saw a large group of ‘Cuda at about 3’ in 30’ of water. Kinda of cool to see.

The highlight of the trip with the 5th and final dive that day. Our first night dive on, and back to the Benwood. I’ve heard great things about night dives, wasn’t sure how well I’d like it. I’ve got 41 dives “under my wetsuit” now and it was a great time. My son and I splashed a bit early, still a bit of surface light, and a full moon meant that I didn’t really need a light for the first 10 min or so of the dive. Two groups of about 10 divers each on the wreck so never felt “alone in the dark”. Tons of turtles, parrot fish and a goliath grouper were seen and enjoyed.

Our last dives were the next am. I crossed off another ”scuba diving bucket list item”, Christ of The Abyss. Glad that I saw it, don’t need to see it again. I’d suggest to anyone who’s going to do many dives out of KL, its worth seeing. Enjoyed the reef structure in that area quite a bit. Several fun swim throughs to enjoy. Our final dive (we did COTA first dive) was nearby on Horseshoe Reef. More fun swim throughs and diving fun with my son.

Flew home the next night and called a great trip! Just pics of my son and I on the boat, haven’t downloaded and edited any video yet. As an aside, my son ”lost” the go-pro we had on one of our early dives. When we got back on the boat it was floating in the fresh water tub. Boat crew had seen it and sent a snorkeler to grab it!
Thanks for the report, enjoyed reading it! My adult son, 28, is finally getting certified and will be finished the end of July. He wanted to go on a short dive trip so I started looking into taking him to the Keys. I think the Keys are a great easy spot to take him for his first ocean dives. I have done numerous dives in the Keys but mostly around the Marathon area. A friend highly recommended Amy Skeets Amoray Dive Resort. I've always wanted to dive the Key Largo area so I looked into it and book a long weekend there the end of August, 3 days of diving. Looking forward to it! If anyone has any suggestions for this trip please let me know!

Thanks for the report, enjoyed reading it! My adult son, 28, is finally getting certified and will be finished the end of July. He wanted to go on a short dive trip so I started looking into taking him to the Keys. I think the Keys are a great easy spot to take him for his first ocean dives. I have done numerous dives in the Keys but mostly around the Marathon area. A friend highly recommended Amy Skeets Amoray Dive Resort. I've always wanted to dive the Key Largo area so I looked into it and book a long weekend there the end of August, 3 days of diving. Looking forward to it! If anyone has any suggestions for this trip please let me know!

If you’re going to stay at Amoray, talk to Paola in the dive shop about scheduling your dives. If you stay 3 nights you get a discount on your dives, 15% I think. Their night dive to the Benwood was great, but really all of the dives we did with them were good. its nice to walk less than 2 minutes from your room to the boat in the am.

If you’re going to stay at Amoray, talk to Paola in the dive shop about scheduling your dives. If you stay 3 nights you get a discount on your dives, 15% I think. Their night dive to the Benwood was great, but really all of the dives we did with them were good. its nice to walk less than 2 minutes from your room to the boat in the am.
Yes, they do have a package rate of 15% off room and dive for at least 3-4 night stay, and 20% if you stay longer.. We did get 15% off. Thanks!

Thanks for the great report! Sounds like the boats go out mornings, afternoons, and evenings, so that you can 5 dives a day? Sounds like a land-based liveaboard, which I really like in a dive trip.

Any ability to get food (at least breakfast) at the resort?

How were the dive guides? I've read that Florida/Keys dive operations typically let you do your own thing, without a lot of guidance.

Thanks again.

I am not sure about food at the resort, but do not think so. From what a friend told me, there are a lot of restaurants nearby and I think he said one or two were walking distance.

As far as a guide goes there is NOT one that goes with you at the resort because the dive in the keys are pretty easy and not real deep. When I booked the trip they made it a point to tell me there are no guides. I guess they had some issues with some who thought they would have guides, and then found it was extra. I've dove many times in the keys and very seldom had a guide with us.

Amoray does offer a guide at an extra cost. I'm thinking of getting a guide for our first dives since this is my sons first diving. Even though I am experienced, I'm thinking it might be better to have a more experienced instructor dive with us in case he has some issues...

I am not sure about food at the resort, but do not think so. From what a friend told me, there are a lot of restaurants nearby and I think he said one or two were walking distance.

As far as a guide goes there is NOT one that goes with you at the resort because the dive in the keys are pretty easy and not real deep. When I booked the trip they made it a point to tell me there are no guides. I guess they had some issues with some who thought they would have guides, and then found it was extra. I've dove many times in the keys and very seldom had a guide with us.

Amoray does offer a guide at an extra cost. I'm thinking of getting a guide for our first dives since this is my sons first diving. Even though I am experienced, I'm thinking it might be better to have a more experienced instructor dive with us in case he has some issues...
Hi I don't know how committed you are in going with Amy slate but, if you check out rainbow reef they do offer some good rates for accommodations at a hotel near them and all their dives include a guide. They are a fun bunch. I dive with them almost every time I dive Key Largo. That being said, Amy Slates is gtg too. Can't go wrong with either.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom