Trip Report... July 24 - Aug 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Titletowndiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Travel

I booked this trip with Bay Adventures and have no complaints. We flew out of Chicago Midway via ATA and had no problems at all. Aside from the HORRIBLE shytown traffic, the trip down was fine. From Cancun we used the Riviera to get to the PDC ferry. I highly recommend using this service. Its cheap ($6.50), comfortable and took less than 1 hour to get to the terminal in PDC.

Accomodations

We stayed @ Brisas and had the AIC package. The rooms were nothing special but they were clean and had adequate storage for your gear on the patio to dry (although with the humidity it rarely did). The hotel is in a very convenient location to the grocery store, downtown, and its about a 1 minute walk thru the tunnel to the dock. Cab ride = $3 to downtown but isnt needed unless your either drunk or lazy. I've heard stories about how the beds @ Brisas are very hard and uncomfortable. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe these people sleep on a cloud:confused: but I had no problem with the bed at all. I actually found them quite comfortable:wink:. 1 last note on the hotel. For people staying @ Brisas for thier 1st time: When you check in save yourself a bunch of walking and ask for the room safe key and a dive locker key right away. They wont offer them too you.

Food

The people @ Brisas have yet to figure out how to keep food warm. It ranged from tepid to ice cold. The selection was usually awful but every few days they would surprise us with a decent meal. The restaurants were always horribly understaffed and you often waited quite awhile if you wanted something prepared fresh. With that being said, Would I do the AIC package again??? Absolutely. For the conveniece alone its worth it. I can't imagine having to deal w/ going into town in the morning for breakfast or even worse- having to pay the ridiculous prices @ the the restaurant for the crummy food.

Diving

We dove with Dive Paradise all week. In 6 days we only did 19 dives. Many of which were on the cattle boats. We were only able to upgrade to the fast boats on 2 days because they were so overbooked. I HIGHLY recommend upgrading your package immediately upon arrival if you dont want to get stuck on the cattle boats. The slow boats were ok and we did have a lot of fun, but if your an experienced diver and prefer getting out to the locations faster- UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE. Im not going to go into much detail about the actual dives other than we had an absolutely awesome time. I've never come back from diving in Coz disappointed and this trip was no different. My favorite locations included Punta Sur, Cedral Wall and Maracaibo.

Anyone with trips planned that have specific questions email or PM me........Pix to follow!

Tim

Thanks so much for sharing. My husband and I are doing the same package. We leave on Aug.16
We are booked on the "cattleboat". We have been certified
for 3 years, but don't get to dive a lot. Can you tell me typically
how deep you went on your first dives?
Were most of the people on the larger boats in-experienced?

scubajen once bubbled...
Thanks so much for sharing. My husband and I are doing the same package. We leave on Aug.16
We are booked on the "cattleboat". We have been certified
for 3 years, but don't get to dive a lot. Can you tell me typically
how deep you went on your first dives?
Were most of the people on the larger boats in-experienced?

With the huge number of dive companies on Cozumel, there is absolutely no reason to get "stuck" diving a cattle boat when you want to do otherwise.

First dives are usually 80-100 feet, second dives 40-60, but those numbers are very approximate and vary with the sites you choose. BTW, if you dive off a small boat the divers generally choose the site; not so on the larger ones. Small boats can be great for inexperienced divers; you'll get more individual attention.

And yes, the one and only time I dove from a cattle boat, early on in my diving life, a large percentage of the divers were newbies, and it was to nobody's advantage, not even the newbies ourselves.

ggunn is right....the cattle boats generally have newer divers. Thats not to say its always gonna be bad but I think more experienced divers prefer to be on the smaller faster boats and have the option to choose the location. We had a few days where we were on the larger boats and it was a lot of fun just relaxing on the roof of the boat and taking in the sun. Your first dive of the day is almost always gonna be around 80-100 and the 2nd generally less than 60.

I just got back from Cozumel Saturday night and can't wait to go back. I did a mix of Fast and Slow boats(Cattle Boats). The fast boats usally were a little tighter on space plus had less Sun cover but got us back to port 1 to 2 hours earlier. I ended up using Aqua Safari for most of my dives and can't complain about any of the dives boats nor their staff. They were very professional and friendly plus at a great price.

One thing to note is the shore snorkeling and Shore Diving. It was fantastic. I saw some great stuff with out having to boat out and back. :)

Don't miss a Night dive. Whoohoo! Saw over 15 octopi one dive.

Finally got around to posting some pix from vacation

Click here

Please note: I am not good at taking U-W pictures- so all you shutterbugs go easy me! :wink:

Thanks for the pics. I liked them!

Titletowndiver once bubbled...
Finally got around to posting some pix from vacation

Click here

Please note: I am not good at taking U-W pictures- so all you shutterbugs go easy me! :wink:

Picture "114_1474.html", captioned "Paradise Cafe (I think??)" - definitely Paradise Cafe, aka Bob's Marley Bar. I have many hours of flight time logged on that hammock in the right foreground. Heavy sigh. Uno mas Negra Modelo, por favor...

I don't know what you mean by your not good at U/W photos. Most of those pictures are good. Some are worth framing and showing off to friends.

Mark

Thanks for all the kind words...Some of them turned out OK but I've got a lot to learn (and a strobe to purchase!)

Uno mas Negra Modelo, por favor...
Replace Negra Modelo w/ Sol and you've got me!!! I was getting a bit wobbly on my way to Punta Morena to suck down a few more!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom