trip report: Jules undersea lodge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sean326

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I posted pics at wreckvalley.com just go to the gallery, wreckvalley divers around the world, around the USA

Last wed. night my 10 year old son and I spent the night in a former underwater research habitat that has been turned into an underwater hotel.

It was one of the coolest things that i have ever done.

It's located in a lagoon on key largo, this place is incredible and so well run.

When you first get there you go through the routine waivers and some medical questionnaires, they explain that the ambient pressure in the habitat is that of about 25'. this is nessesary to keep the moon pool stable.
in spending 18 to 20 hours at a pressure equal to 25' you become saturated with nitrogen.

After the paperwork they give you a tour of the topside facility. the undersea lodge is just a small part of their operation. they are really an educational facility. they have a second habitat that is only used by scientist. they have a mock undersea archeological site complete with authentic antique cannon and pottery donated by Mel fisher the famous treasure hunter. The tour includes the control room where the operator sleeps while guests are down below. the compressors filters and backup generators.

after the tour you get geared up to enter the habitat, they have a cubby for your topside clothes, but most of your stuff you keep in your car.
all you need in the habitat is dry t shirts and shorts. They bring these down in big pelican cases. You dive off of a dock and enter the wet room of the habitat through a moon pool. Kyle and I were the only ones checked in that night so it was very spacious, if the habitat was full i can imagine it would be crowded.

this link should take you to their page with a diagram.
http://www.jul.com/frontpage.html

after the bellman/ control room operator/ cook gives you a full tour reviewing all the amenities and emergency / backup procedures and equipment (their are 4 ways to contact the surface) he leaves the habitat your free to do whatever you want.

he calls down about 6:30 and reviews the dinner menu. Jake is a fully trained sous chef and spent most of his time working in restaurants, he is also a divemaster and one of just a handful of certified habitat control room operators (you can get this specialty cert. here).

The food is presented on china with silverware and is amazing both in presentation and taste.. I expected microwaved MRE's but the food is initially prepared in the topside kitchen then finished in the habitats kitchen.

there are videos and TV, stereos.. no cable. The favorite movies seem to be abyss and deep blue sea, both about underwater habitats that fail.

the kitchen is stocked with all kinds of drinks and snacks.

Diving is easy and you find youself heading out to go diving like you go out for a walk at home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom