Trip report - Grand Cayman - Ocean Frontiers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ECPaul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
To all those contemplating a trip to dive Grand Cayman, here is what we experienced last week:

1. Accommodations. We stayed at the Royal Reef Resort (http://www.thereef.com.ky/) on the East end of GC, and this turned out to be a great choice for my wife, 2 diving teenagers, and me. At that end of the island the only other real choice is Compass Pointe, which is also very nice but lacks some of the amenities of Royal Reef (beautiful beach, nice pools, hot tubs, etc.). This was especially important for my wife, who is a diver but who could not dive this trip due to whiplash from being rear-ended a couple of weeks ago (big bummer). Note - if all that I wanted was to dive, I'd probably stay at Compass Pointe instead and save some $$, since the rooms are pretty comparable to those at the Reef, but for about 20 - 25% less.

2. Dive Op. We dove with Ocean Frontiers (http://www.oceanfrontiers.com/), and these guys turned out to be the best dive op that I've experienced anywhere. You bring your gear to them the first day, and leave it with them the rest of the week to take care of. After diving each day they break your gear down, wash it with fresh water, then hang it to dry. When you get on the boat for the next's days diving, they already have you set up - nothing to do but put weights into your BCD. And when changing from one tank to the other between morning 2-tank dives, they take care of everything. Truly valet service. And the dive masters were all superb, providing great area orientations before each dive with the use of a well-diagrammed dry-erase board. The option of guided or unguided diving was always available to everyone on board. Typically we'd go guided for the first deep dive, which was usually a wall dive to 100 - 110'. Then we'd go unguided for the shallower 2nd dive of the day.

3. The dives. We only ever dove along the East end and the Southern coast during this trip, although there is supposed to be some very good diving along the North wall of GC as well as out West. The wall dives were very dramatic - often we'd start out on top of the wall at about 60', then descend through a tunnel to pop out on the wall at 100' or so, with nothing but 6000' of blue water between us and the ocean floor. It was always a chance to look for big pelagics, but we did not see any really big fish cruising the wall during any of the 6 deep wall dives that we did. Nonetheless the coral, sponges and myriad creatures on the walls are in great shape, probably too deep to have been affected by Ivan. Likewise, the shallow dives were all fantastic, and I've never been in so many swim-throughs anywhere else. We also did a night dive and were treated to loads of brittle stars, a beautiful little octopus, a spotted moray, and a lemon ray. I dove EAN32, which is apparently the standard nitrox mix on the island, and ideal for the depths that we were doing.

Here's a bit of a confession - I did go with Ocean Frontiers to do their afternoon Stingray City trip, and although this may sound corny to some, it was really a blast to have really big stingrays swimming all over you for a handout of a little bit of squid. There was even a big green moray that decided to get into the act, which made things a bit interesting for a while.

4. Water conditions. This time of the year is supposed to be windier than other times of the year, and this proved to be the case last week. Almost every day the wind came howling out of the North or Northeast, but that did not turn out to be a problem as we were diving on the sheltered South Coast, so we never had water that was too rough to contend with. Viz was great - about 60 - 100 feet most days, and water temp averaged 80 - 81 degrees. Some people dove with skins, but my 3 mm was just right.

5. Eating. As with everything else on GC, eating out is an expensive proposition (I plan to spend more time in the more affordable Coz in the future), and so we ended up only eating out once, and that was at Portofinos on the East end. The food was very good. Since we had a full kitchen at the hotel, we made a couple of runs (30 minutes each way) to the grocery store, and cooked for ourselves most of the time. This proved to be very cost-effective and we'd do it again. Both Royal Reef and Compass Pointe have full kitchens in the rooms.

5. Rental car. Andys (http://www.andys.ky/) was the way to go, and pre-booking was an absolute necessity, providing us with a guaranteed car at reasonable rates - expect to pay a lot more if you don't reserve in advance, if you can get a car at all. And remember that as a British Colony you drive on the left side of the road, which is quite an adjustment for the first day or so (especially the traffic circles).

6. Crime. Practically non-existent on the island (in contrast to the situation in many other places in the Caribbean), making this a great place to go, although arguably the most expensive place to dive in the Caribbean as well.

Bottom line - we'll go back to GC again, probably stay at Compass Pointe next time, and have another great time.

Sounds like you had a blast. I'm trying to get on a trip there during the last week of Feb. Sounds like you've helped me make up my mind.

If you've never been to GC before, I think that one of the most important things to consider is which side of the island you want to be on from a "topside" perspective. The West end (7-mile beach side) is chock full of hotels, restuarants, and lots of things to do, people to see, cars, afternoon parasailing, a lot of people on the beach, etc. That will appeal to a lot of people. In contrast, the East end and the North side (Rum Point) are much quieter and much more laid back, and that appeals to others (including me).

Thanks, that is one one of my favorite islands. I am heading there in March, but haven't been there since the Hurricane over a year ago. Has the 7 mile area been totally rebuilt? Any major island problems, outside of traffic on 7 mile beach road? Thanks again. John

THX1138:
Thanks, that is one one of my favorite islands. I am heading there in March, but haven't been there since the Hurricane over a year ago. Has the 7 mile area been totally rebuilt? Any major island problems, outside of traffic on 7 mile beach road? Thanks again. John

Actually we never made it to 7-mile beach at all, since we were having such a great time doing nothing but diving in the morning and chilling in the afternoons on the quiet East end. But the residual damage from Ivan can be seen everywhere in the form of abandoned homes, homes and condos under repair, and occasionally only the foundations where once there stood a home. I hear that a number of the local insurance companies declared bankruptcy instead of trying to pay out the overwhelming number of claims, with the result that some properties may never be fully repaired. There are a number of real estate "for sale as is" signs listing significantly damaged properties.

A very noticeable result of Ivan is on the local vegetation - uprooted trees and others permanently bent at a 30 degree angle are still evident in many places. And a lot of the formerly lush vegetation that was present at some of the resorts was literally stripped away so that now there are only new plantings.

I think that Ivan probably also did some damage to some of the very shallow reefs - probably by washing a lot of sand over them - but we did not see this as we were generally diving deeper sites that were otherwise unaffected.

None of the residual damage stopped us or all of the other people going to GC for a great time. I think the same is true in Coz (after Wilma) - a lot of damage but many operations up and running in a pretty short time. Have a great time in March.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom