Trip report - First time diving in the Similans!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munselln8

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all, I wanted to share a link to my blog, which is not normally SCUBA-centric, where I posted an (hopefully) entertaining write-up on my recent trip to the Similan Islands. It was both my first time on a live-aboard AND my first time diving SE. Asia. I hope you enjoy :) Manta Hunting in the Andaman Sea!

Last edited:
Great blog. Thanks for sharing.
I had a liveaboard trip of similan last year. Nothing giant encountered.

Somebody visited there recently. They said environment and creatures are better than last season.
When i watch your movie, i think the viz is not good. Somebody say viz bad but more chance to see whale shark and manta rays. In the same dive site same day, they saw giants when viz bad, and when the viz get good, all giants gone. May be because of the planton.

I'm going to similan again on March. I hope i can see big creatures this time.

However, thanks for sharing.

Since it was my first time diving the Similans it is tough for me to say if it was "good" or "bad" for the norm. Certainly it was not good compared to Cozumel, where most of my diving has taken place but I didn't mind the trade off for encountering two giant Manta rays out of 4 days diving :) In Cozumel, you can see the Spotted Blu Eagle ray from 30-40 meters off so it generally feels like the experience lasts longer but hey, I'm not complaining! :)

Back
Top Bottom