Trip Report - Cocoview Resort, Roatan, Nov 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a great "pay back" for all of the pre-trip questions you posted! Well written and some snappy pix!

Go back and do more night dives- two wasn't near enough!

Thanks for posting details of this trip. I always appreciate the time it takes to do detailed write ups. It also helped confirm that this is definitely not the place for us. If it wasn't for the way they treat divers like brand new OW students I would be planning a trip there next year. Sounds like the dive sites are pretty cool. Glad you had a great time!

Thanks for the write-up, Robin. I'll be visiting for the first time April 4-11, and appreciated the pictures and info before my trip :) Looking forward to the night dives, too :)

If it wasn't for the way they treat divers like brand new OW students...
At CCV? You can't be serious...

Maybe this is worth its own thread vs. threadjacking this one, but that comment flies in the face of the experience I just had there last month.

Thanks for posting details of this trip. I always appreciate the time it takes to do detailed write ups. It also helped confirm that this is definitely not the place for us. If it wasn't for the way they treat divers like brand new OW students I would be planning a trip there next year. Sounds like the dive sites are pretty cool. Glad you had a great time!

You are so wrong! I think you are totally missunderstanding the Orientation dive. It isn't meant to treat everyone like noobs, it is meant to give all the divers the information needed in order to do the Dropoff Dives (which they will have to do alone the rest of the week) AND a chance to let the DMs know who they need to keep an eye on for the week. Nothing more. Some of the DMs do the skills test, some don't. I think Mel just felt safer doing it and I felt safer knowing that all the divers who would be with us for the week were competent.... last thing I want to have to do is have someone on our boat who needs handholding all week. Luckily, everyone was great, even Char and Wes, the brand new OW divers on our boat. They were fantastic, great bouyancy from Day 1, and eager to learn and improve their skills. I really wouldn't have known they were brand new divers if they hadn't told us! :D In fact I think CCV makes divers more self-sufficient and less dependent on DMs, much more than any place I have ever been other than Bonaire! Once you have done the Orientation dive there, you never have to do it again - it is only for brand new CCV guests.

I think that CCV treats divers like Experienced divers after that first assessment dive. There is no scuba police there. No one checks your logs or computers. You can dive as many dives as you want each day. You can dive solo if you want, you can dive 24/7 if you want. The only requirement is that you sign in and out on the Night dive log if you are going out at night for safety. On the boat dives, the DM does lead the group but you don't have to go with the DM... all you have to do is tell him what you are doing before you get in the water. We had one diver, Wally, who was a photographer and experienced who didn't go with the group 50% of the time. No biggy, he made it back to the boat in the 1 hour required time. :D

One of the reasons we picked CoCoView is that the do treat divers like they are Advanced, not noobs! We don't need a DM to handhold and we didn't have one. That first Orientation dive was the only time all week that Mel asked us what our air was, he just expected divers to tell him if they needed to find the boat. We did have 2 people who ran out of air before the rest of the group each dive - they told him they were low, he would look at his compass and point them in the direction of the boat.... you call that being treated like a noob? :confused: I call that treating divers like competent divers responsible for getting themselves safely back to the boat. And they were, they would take the heading and off they would go, the rest of us staying where we were. No one went up early due to them or anything other than our own air consumption.

robin:D

There are new divers and experienced divers... both at every dive venue. And then there's a lot of folks in between.

Demonstrating regulator recovery and flooding a mask on the first day of the first dive is hardly invasive. It is the simplest minimal that a DM might request to ascertain that you are not a hazard to yourself or those around you. Even more invasive tests are not a guarantee, but I call that regulator and mask drill a non-issue.

I know that the occasional very experienced diver and also some divers who are unsure of their skills bridle at any assistance or DM checking process. I am often reminded of the scene in Stripes, where "Psycho" says, "Call me Francis, and I'll kill you. Touch my stuff, and I'll kill you. Touch me...and I'll kill you." Then Sgt. Hulka responds: "Lighten up, Francis..."

The DM's have been doing this every day, four times a day for 3 to 15 years and that trumps my untold thousands of dives any time. They can poke me, prod me, check my tank valve, whatever they want. I have done dive stuff they wrote books about- but any DM at CoCoView knows 1000x more about diving in their operation than I'll ever know. I would say, the same applies to most better dive ops in the world. I am always the Noob there.

At CCV, you do that first day Orientation dive, and that is just what it is. They show you around the "Front Yard" dive site, with all of the objects and navigational aids. The 140' wreck, the chain, the buoys, the walls, the DC-3 wreck, the way home through the coral heads.

Some boneheads try to refuse doing that "orientation dive", fearing for whatever reason that it will evolve into Open Water Skills Test #3. Not at CCV.

You do the first day orientation dive and you are as free as you wish. If you are going below 100' on any dive, the Divemaster asks to be advised lest he thinks you're unaware of what you are doing and has to streak after you. Do whatever you want, but don't forget to tell the DM.

After that first CCV Orientation Dive where you learn the Front Yard landmarks, you are free to do Solo Night Dives. Knock your socks off. I do them there all the time, but I paid close attention to the DM's for many dives.

Certain things may cause a trained DM to get his radar up. These are observational skills that are taught right there in DM School. They will watch your social demeanor looking for nervousness, they will watch how you rig your gear, they will watch you during the minutes they call out to you- "gear up".

It's fairly easy to spot the Noob diver. Sometimes its the fumble factor, sometimes it's the equipment being all sparkly new, matching your newlywed dive buddy, and rigged all wrong. Sometimes it's easy.

Or then, sometimes you see the old salt diver, sometimes with beat up minimalist gear. These guys usually get ignored, at least in terms of gear being a cautionary sign.

When I first started "warm water pretty fish" diving, I had 1500 dives in cold water or under ships. I was experienced enough to know that I didn't know much about Caribbean diving for fun. Like I always say, pay attention to the DM's and procedures- If he were your guest back home in the big city, how many times a day would you be telling him what to watch out for? Diving is no different.

Then there are the heavily equipped divers. Having all of the right gear in the right place does not a qualified vacation diving survivor make. Many divers who are most comfortable with heavily structured gear configurations are sometimes worth a second look for DM's. Many folks compensate for experience and level of ability through acquisition and positioning of gear in a codified manner. I have seen divers show up in Tobago with wreck reels and wrenches. Long clanky wrenches they call adjustable spanners.

If you show up in gear that is selected for the type of local diving, you are less likely to cause interest. Many divers show up in full DIR rigs to CoCoView, and blend right in. CCV used to be considered to be very advanced diving, largely due to the difficulties in transportation when it was discovered back in the 1980's. The diving there now, at least out of CCV, is simple, shallow and essentially very safe in terms of the operation, the boats, the shore dive and local conditions.

I once watched a heavily (matched) geared couple ($300 fins and all) refuse to do a weight check test dive on their first day in the Galapagos. In the next six dives, they ran out of air twice among other issues. Can't tell much by looks.

I think carrying minimal surface signaling gear is always a must, but those little inflatable life rafts tucked into the BPW, the pony tank, the ePirb, the underwater case for the Sat Phone, the SCUDA... that is an attention getter, and yes- I've seen them even at CCV. Certainly, people will wish to argue, but all I can say is that it is a matter of having gone beyond dogma and having reached the level that SEALs operate, being "mission specific". Take what you need.

So, my intent was really not to hi-jack this thread, but in that some readers might think that CCV's Dive Masters are invasive or pushy... no, far from it.

Oh- there is another class of divers who raise attention. The ones that light off as if it were a race, the ones that blow down to 85+ feet on every dive, the ones that simply refuse to follow the Dive Master so he can find the really cool stuff. The CCV DM's are the best on the island for this task.

The DM's know where the interesting critters hide. Whether they are a safety cushion or a Naturalist Tour Guide, as many thousands of dives I have off of Roatan's Southern shores, I am following that DM as if he were my new best friend.

Because he is.

I think that CCV treats divers like Experienced divers after that first assessment dive. There is no scuba police there. No one checks your logs or computers.
We experienced an example of this, almost to the extreme, when we went to CCV this past August. Continental ran a flight that arrived on Sunday. Even the folks doing CCV reservations did not know about it until we told them. We were met at the airport OK and taken to CCV along with one other couple. CCV was really quiet, experiencing early afternoon doldrums. All the divers were out diving, there were no staff around (it was Sunday PM, afterall).

We wanted to know about if we could do the checkout dive and the orientation that afternoon. Well, after substantial looking around we found someone, who found someone else, who told us that so and so would appear in about 15 min. When he did, we explained the isssue, mentioning that we had been to CCV before. He chortled and said, "You know the drill. The water's out front." So, we did our first dive about 30 min after arrival. All equipment worked and the front yard was still as advertised:).

Now that's what I'm talking about!! What a great report. Thanks, I feel like I was there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom