Trip report: CoCo View Resort, Roatan, Honduras May 9 May 16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We'll, having just returned from Cocoview, let me tell you...

We dove the morning after the quake and had one healthy aftershock during the dive and it sounds like a freight train going by you under water.

The reef has some damage as expected. Every thing from little pieces broken off to entire sections of wall gone. The biggest section we saw missing was a piece of wall over 100 feet wide that slid off the ledge completely. I suspect there are larger sections missing as there was a report that the water level at french harbor dropped really low and them came back up, which is what you'd see with a big slide. The wreck (Prince Albert) cracked down the right side and all the walls in the cargo hold fell down inside.

It shook the resort pretty good and damaged the plumbing on a few rooms, cracked a lot of drywall, warped the boat dock and walkways and I heard that one of the rooms had a piling come up thru the floor. And anything on a shelf or hanging on the wall ended up on the floor. Everything there at Cocoview is built on pilings, so the longer the pilings were the more motion you felt. Some of the folks on our boat were staying on the second floor of a beach house and got thrown around pretty good.

I'll try and post some video when I get unpacked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom