Trip Report - Bonaire 8/19 -8/27 at the Harbor Village

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjames

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Ratings:

Overall Trip: 4.5 out of 5 (This is a very high rating for me)
Diving: 4.8 out of 5 (Lembeh and Palau still the only 5)
Diving Photo Opps: 5 (Come on, it is Bonaire)
Dive Shop (Great Adventures): 4.8 (Would be a 5, but I always like to leave room for improvement :) )
Hotel Overall: 4
Hotel Room: 3 (See details below. Without the issues we had, would have been a 4.5)
Hotel Beach: 4.2
Hotel Bar (very important to overall rating): 4
Hotel Food: 3.8
Island Food:
It Rains Fishes: 4
Casablanca: 3
Patagonia: 4
Norca’s: 4
Blue Mekong: 4.5
Flight: 3.5 (Continental)
Rental Car: 4

Photo Gallery: Facebook

Details:
Our flight was from Austin, Tx. to Bonaire through Houston via Continental. We used points to upgrade to first class, which doesn't suck. The flight leaves around midnight which isn't the most fun, but the good news is you arrive around 6 in the morning and you are ready to start your day. Getting through customs at Bonaire is easy. You don't have to fight through the crowds of folks trying to sell you transportation as you do in a lot of other Caribbean destinations.

We were met by somebody from Harbor Village and taken straight to the hotel (15 minute ride tops). If you've never been, Harbor Village is one of the nicer properties on the island. The big draw for my wife is the fact that they have a nicely groomed, sandy beach for her to relax on. Even though we were there early in the morning, they put us into our rooms right away. That scored points because at Buddy's we had to wait until later in the day to get in. The property is big and generally very well kept up. They were making upgrades to their beach side bar and restaurant that week, but we got a couple of good meals / evening drinks in before they shut it down. The wait staff was all very good and very friendly.
I had arranged for a rental truck through the hotel. That was delivered the next day and was pretty nice compared to what we had at Buddy’s. That said, I had to pay extra for the rental car, where at Buddy’s it was part of the package (extra $250).

My issue with Harbor Village is that the water heater in our room was out and basically wasn’t fixed for most of the week. The room also had a funky smell. They later moved us to another room, but for the money, I wouldn’t expect to even have been put in the room. That said, I would go back.

The dive shop at Harbor Village is Great Adventure Bonaire and is run by Mark and Muriel Spychela (sp.?). They are located on premise. To be honest, I wasn’t expecting a lot when we got there and was very nicely surprised. The facilities are well organized and clean. They have two boats and both were comfortable and very well run. All of the staff was friendly and competent. We dove with Nick and Alfosnso who were great and watched them do some open water checkout dives. I would definitely feel safe sending students to them. Mark and Muriel are great folks and were a pleasure to talk to. Muriel is a fantastic photographer, so if you go, get her to show you some of her shots. They have UW camera rigs (Ikelite) for rent that a number of other guests took out.

The house reef off Harbor Village is an interesting one. My first impression was that there was not a lot of living coral right off the resort. Frankly, I wasn’t that excited about it. That quickly changes as I started finding all sorts of critters in the coral rubble that I hadn’t seen elsewhere and that I could easily photograph without worrying where my fins were. Our first dive out we found two huge sea horses, yellow headed jawfish, and I got one of my best shots of a juvenile and adult drum. The other nice thing is that it is a 5 minute swim from the entry point at Harbor to the Something Special dive site which is one of the best on the island.

For the rest of the week, we usually did one or two tanks on the Great Adventure boats, then one or two off the beach somewhere.

I strongly endorse the island, hotel and dive shop. If you’ve never been, you’re missing one of the best spots in the Caribbean.

Good report - Have never stayed at Harbor Village and have often wondered what it is like. I agree with you on the Something Special site. The reef from just north of Eden Beach to the harbor was destroyed by a storm several years ago. I am always in wonder at the stuff that you find living in he rubble. Thanks for sharing

Thanks for the report. I was surprised to see mention of Muriel as I spent 10 days diving Tahiti with her on a fam trip (Aggressor and 3 nights in Moorea) and it would be great to catch up with her. Hopefully she'll stick around there until I can make my next trip over.

Excellent report. I love the rubble in front of Harbor Village. I normally stay at Eden Beach and do that dive a lot. If the current is running south we'll get in at Eden Beach and out at Something Special.

Now being a photographer I have found I take about 3-4 times as many pictures on a rubble dive than a coral dive. Weird but true.

Have you seen the monster snake eel???

Absolutely awesome pics. Long time Bonaire lover. You got me wishing my life away, can't wait til Dec/Jan trip. Thanks again for the great shots.
We stay at the Black Durgon, have the Small Wall house reef there. It's also a good dive, but then again all dives in Bonaire are great.

Back
Top Bottom