Trip Report: Bohol w/ Phil. Fun Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuggler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Today's our last day in Bohol. We did 8 dives: all the sites at Balicasag, Kalipayan, Arco, and BBC. We noticed that viz is better above 30 feet here. My favorite dive was at Divers' Heaven in Balicasag. In terms of convenience and proximity to dive sites, I liked Puerto Galera better. It seems like the good sites in Bohol are at least a 30-minute boat ride versus the 5-minute sites in PG. Bohol has more weird critters and PG has more nudibranchs. (Only saw one nudi here in Bohol!) Nonetheless, I enjoyed all our dives here. Would definitely try to come back to Balicasag.

We stayed at Lost Horizon and dived with Bohol Fun Divers. The dive guides were very nice and accommodating, but there's something wrong with the servers at the resort. I speak Tagalog fluently but each time I order, they look at me as if I just spoke some Alien language. Maybe I'll learn bisaya just to see if that'll ease the communication difficulties... It's like that everywhere here and we tried 3 other joints! Anyway, it's a nickel and dime type of place. You want an extra towel/pillow/whatever, pay 30 pesos. Once, I even asked to borrow forks so we could eat our instant ramen on the boat to Balicasag, and the servers had a 5-minute discussion on *** to do. Oh ok, 20 peso deposit, fine, except I'm in my wetsuit, do you expect me to have cash shoved in my pwet? Top that with a busted leaking AC, shower's water pressure equivalent to a dog peeing, hot water almost non-existent, the dive shop manager not willing to let me keep/use my remaining 2 dives towards a future stay, and an incident where a fellow diver waited 20 minutes at the surface for the boat to pick him up... don't wanna stay here again. I'm going to miss diving in the Philippines, for sure, but I'm ready to go home. I'm all dived out.

IMG_3937.jpg

IMG_3854.jpg

IMG_3881.jpg

IMG_3638.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

IMG_3710.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg

me
me.jpg

the boyfriend/dive buddy
IMG_3520.jpg

IMG_3402.jpg

Last edited:
For topside activities, skip the Loboc River Cruise unless you want a super cheesy ride down the river and crappy lukewarm Filipino food. If you're outdoorsy, however, definitely go to Danao Adventure Park. My friends and I went ziplining and caving there and it was so much fun. The tarsiers are also toooooooo cute for words. :)

IMG_2998.jpg

not exactly chocolate, eh?
IMG_2900.jpg

Hinagdanan cave
IMG_3062.jpg

cave drawings
IMG_3064.jpg

Nice write up!!! Wow.....I now know to look for any posts by FUGGLER!!! Nice job. We are very happy to hear that you had a good time in paradise. Okay, make reservations and come back very soon!!!

Thanks for this report, very informative and helpful, I enjoyed reading it.
Lost Horizon certainly lost me with their petty attitude :thumbs_down:

Loved the pics as well as your finned hood:)

Nice pictures, fuggler. I believe picture 4 from the top shows a white spotted snake eel. I have never seen one in this color, although I have seen others in Moalboal, Cebu.
I just came back from Cabilao Beach Club resort in Bohol early this month and did 8 dives in 2 days of diving. It was a small, well-run, self-contained resort which at that time was not crowded, with the clientele mainly Europeans. The biggest group was ours- there were 7 of us American divers and we were very satisfied with the resort and the diving. Being an underwater photographer like yourself, I can say Cabilao is right up your alley. I would suggest you allow at least 5 days of diving there.

Nice write up!!! Wow.....I now know to look for any posts by FUGGLER!!! Nice job. We are very happy to hear that you had a good time in paradise. Okay, make reservations and come back very soon!!!

Babyd - you guys have it good in Pinas :wink: (at least when it comes to diving!)
Where do you suggest I go next year? I'm thinking of doing a week on a live-aboard to Indonesia, tapos 2 weeks in PI. My non-diver friends keep suggesting Palawan, but from how they describe it... traveling/transportation there sounds like a nightmare!

Nice pictures, fuggler. I believe picture 4 from the top shows a white spotted snake eel. I have never seen one in this color, although I have seen others in Moalboal, Cebu.
I just came back from Cabilao Beach Club resort in Bohol early this month and did 8 dives in 2 days of diving. It was a small, well-run, self-contained resort which at that time was not crowded, with the clientele mainly Europeans. The biggest group was ours- there were 7 of us American divers and we were very satisfied with the resort and the diving. Being an underwater photographer like yourself, I can say Cabilao is right up your alley. I would suggest you allow at least 5 days of diving there.

Cim, that white spotted snake eel's head was as small as my thumb. Would have totally missed it if our dive guide didn't show us! I wanted to do Cabilao as a day trip but I didn't want to deal with the 4-hour boat ride because it rained almost every day we were in Bohol. Is Cabilao diving varied, or concentrating on pelagics or macro?

Babyd - you guys have it good in Pinas :wink: (at least when it comes to diving!)
Where do you suggest I go next year? I'm thinking of doing a week on a live-aboard to Indonesia, tapos 2 weeks in PI. My non-diver friends keep suggesting Palawan, but from how they describe it... traveling/transportation there sounds like a nightmare!

That sounds like a sound plan. I have always wanted to do the Micronesia/PI combo. A combo trip with YAP, PALAU, and Philippines sort of schedule would be the pinnacle of a diving trip!

[Cim, that white spotted snake eel's head was as small as my thumb. Would have totally missed it if our dive guide didn't show us! I wanted to do Cabilao as a day trip but I didn't want to deal with the 4-hour boat ride because it rained almost every day we were in Bohol. Is Cabilao diving varied, or concentrating on pelagics or macro?]

Cabilao is macro, but what exceptional macro! I saw 3 urangotan crabs in 2 days of diving. Also, stargazers, mandarin fish, and pygmy seahorses (red and yellow) among others (some I have yet to look in a book so I can identify it). There are areas for wide angle shots but these are mainly for beautiful coral reefs that could equal the ones I saw in Palau at its prime. I've been to Panglao/Balicasag in a different trip and my opinion is that Cabilao would be a wonderful complement for a P/B trip, but stay in Cabilao for a few days rather than diving it from P/B.

Fuggler,
Great report... I can't wait till it's my turn. Unfortunately I'm not as skilled with a camera as you are... maybe I can take lessons whole I'm in Manila :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom