Trip report: Barefoot Cay, Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The light on the Arrow Crab was very cool!

Any of the resort itself and the dive op? This is a place with a lot of good buzz, but we'd all like to see some pix of the operations.

Sorry, I didn't take any topside pics... Don't ask why, I have no idea! But there are some on their website and they give a basic idea of the dive shop. And everything was always as clean as you see on those pics

Roatan Scuba Diving - Valet Diving Service in Small Groups

Their compressor was really well maintained, they offer EANx32 at 8$/fill or 75$ per 10 dive package. You can also have a different mix if you ask for it, but I don't know the price.

I checked every tank we had for CO and always got 0 or 1 ppm.

And although I had my own gear, my GF rented a BCD and reg. From what I've seen, all their rentals are scubapro, good quality, seemed in great shape, breathed extremely well and she had no problem at all. The new gear for sale in the shop is also only scubapro.

Several years ago, while staying at FI, we did a drive-by (on the dive boat) and I really thought this place was a dump. Trash everywhere and rundown.

Last March I did an SI at this resort, and all I can say is "wow". They really made a lot of changes. Looks as if they completely rebuilt the resort. Great tank washing/service/storage areas, all in out of the sun. The only downside, IMHO is that the resort is situated right next to a shipping area.

Wow, sounds fun. We leave for Roatan on Saturday the 29th and are also staying at Barefoot Cay. The only bummer sounds like no beach. Diving and relaxation sound great though!

There is a large patch of sand on the eastern part of the cay but it's surrounded by a boardwalk between the sand and the water. There is also a sandy area in front of each villa and bungalow, each with its private lounge chairs and hammock, but these "beaches" are surrounded by a small (maybe a foot high) concrete wall to prevent erosion. They all (I think) have an opening in the wall to access the water, at least our bungalow had one. But don't expect white flour-type sand. Anyway, it really did not matter for us, I can't imagine lying on the beach very long with the sandflies...

Thanks NorthO. This morning I sent an inquiry and already got answer. Impressed. :D

Only a studio loft is available for ther week we want and it's $1317/person and only includes 10 dives. Price is probably too much to add more dives.

Thanks anyway. The place looks great!

Nice report, thanks for posting!
When we were at CCV a few years ago, we did a "ride by" between dives and asked our DM about it. He said it was a nice place but they only do 2-3 dives per day, not a place for people who want more diving, plus it is right at the shipping lane and tons of fishing and cargo boats are going by in the channel day and night. It didn't appeal to us at all for those reasons.

For the sand flies: http://cactusjuicetm.com/
We used this stuff for a whole week and only got a couple of bites. Other people we saw who didn't use any protection got numerous bites each day. Cactus Juice smells really nice too and has SPF in it, so dual purpose. It doesn't work as good against the mosquitos at night though, DEET is about all that will stop those bad boys! Luckily I only saw 2-3 mosquitos all week!

robin:D

When we were at CCV a few years ago, we did a "ride by" between dives and asked our DM about it..... plus it is right at the shipping lane and tons of fishing and cargo boats are going by in the channel day and night.

That islet was formerly owned by CCV and that is exactly the reason they sold it off.

Picture19-7.png

I've heard complaints about that noise issue as well. Likely it depends on the time of year/season.

Everybody loves their dive operation, the smaller "volume" of dives appeals to many, not everybody is a Nitrogen junkie like RobinT :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom