Trip report - Atmosphere Resort, Dauin (near Apo Island)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiggsy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
“Best dive resort I have ever seen - and I've seen a lot of them.”

Pure and simple - this is an amazing location and a superb dive resort. I was lucky enough to take a large group to Atmosphere, and by midday on the first day I had secretly decided that this was my new favourite place in the world - and I've dived the Maldives; Solomon Islands; Sipadan; Palau; Vanuatu; Fiji; Tahiti and the Cook Islands (many of them several times). By the time I'd had lunch at the superb open air beachside restaurant and done my first dive, I'd decided that this place was a sure bet and would be the venue for next year's trip back to back (normally we go somewhere different each year).This is like a Dive Resort built from the ground up for divers, by a team of consultants - they have thought of every possible feature to improve your comfort and safety. And it is all done with such style. There are no compromises - it is rare to be at a resort where everything just simply works so well. The rooms are superb (we were in a 200 sq. metre penthouse that was well lit and beautifully appointed. Always plenty of hot water - lots of power points...brilliantly lit, tastefully decorated - modern but stylish.Neat as a pin. And with a view over manicured gardens that are beautifully landscaped and slope gently down to the very chilled pool/bar area and the beach. The pool is big and at 3 metres deep is designed for SCUBA training, but also perfect for a leisurely dip. The pool bar is the hub of social activity and offers great coffee (the iced coffees are just about a major food group in themselves); fruit smoothies; cheapish cocktails and cold San Mig beers.
OK - the beach is ordinary, but Atmosphere don't hide that - it is greyish sand with a lot of pebbles (take beach shoes or dive bootees to board the boats) but it is still rather attractive and presents gorgeous views across to magical Apo Island. And just off the beach is some of the best House Reef diving I have ever seen. Only metres from shore we saw turtles in the shallows; young solitary Great Barracuda; Banded Sea Kraits; healthy corals and schools of Butterfly and Angelfish. There were even Frogfish one day in the shallows visible from the dive boat. 200 metres to the left there are guaranteed Mandarin Fish at the Bahura House reef (as in hundreds of them).
The dive operaration is professional and extremely well organised. They even have an air-conditioned camera room set up with work benches'/charging station with air blower nozzles and a camera pro in residence (who proved extremely useful when I had some strobe synch. issues! ..... Well done Steve!) Divers each have a storage cubicle in the drying room and all you need do is look after your wetsuit; booties and camera. Everything else is washed; stored and handled for you. WARNING: do not come here unless you like to be spoilt rotten. If you have some weird fixation about washing your own gear, then, you certainly can if you must. But you will find no fewer then 3 deck hands fussing around you supporting tanks and putting your fins on for you. The most common comment I heard from my group was "These guys cannot do enough for you". They even anticipate your needs and do stuff before you've even asked. It is full on luxury diving - complete with hot moist cologne face towels after the dive and loads and fruit; cookies and hot coffee/tea.
The restaurant is brilliant - crisp linens; polished glasses and an impressive menu that includes local dishes; lots of seafood and amazing desserts. The Penna Cotta and "BTS" {Better Than Sex} Chocolate cake were my favourites. Presentation is equal to a top restaurant here in Melbourne. And 500 bottles of French Wine in the cellar!? And yet this was not an expensive package at all relative to Pacific destinations such as Fiji and Vanuatu.We loved the place and the general opinion was that we could not beat (yet alone equal) what we had at Atmosphere. Can't wait until we return in 2012.

Thanks for the tease and description................

We'll be there in 4 weeks time, spending a week at the Atmosphere, after a week on the Philippine Siren solid teak 140 foot live-aboard. should be 2 weeks of spoiled bliss.

Can't Wait! and as you pointed out, it's pretty darn affordable!

http://www.diveadvice.com/Philippines_Siren_Atmosphere_Combo.htm

can you make any recommendations for off-resort activities such as going into town for the Wednesday locals Market, or any other tours? We've checked into some ATV quad bike tours, caving, but many of these seem to be a 1.5-3 hour drive one way from the resort.

Any gifts you may suggest for the dive staff, as we try and bring things from the States that they can't get local.

hundreds of Manderin Fish? drool drool drool. :D I hear the current on the house reef can turn it into a drift dive, is it very tide sensitive and will they let you dive it any time of day or night without a dive master? Just grab a tank and go?

thanks again for the write up, sounds like you're confirming everything else we've read/heard, and yeah, like you, we've dove around the world a bit as you can tell from my sig line.

Last edited:
Wiggsy -

Thanks for posting. Sounds excellent, and just wonder if the 'ideal' sounding arrangements were a lot more expensive than other resorts in that area ?

Cheers

Short answer is...not exactly sure as I didn't price other options, once I saw the deal we were getting. The word around is that it is a little more expensive but you get a lot more. This certainly worked out a lot cheaper than 3 star resorts in Fiji or Vanuatu and was actually one of the cheapest dive trips I've done for a long time. I reckon it would be over $1000 cheaper than Kapalai or Borneo Divers (Mabul - Sipadan) but I actually would rank ir higher - certainly the resort is way up there and the diving is also very high quality - not as much big stuff as Sipadan (not as many turtles/barracuda/trevally/sharks) but a lot, lot more of everything else....The coral is brilliant at Apo and the most colourful - right up there with Siladen Wall, Bunaken in North Sulawesi. We did get a great price as I booked it about 18 mounths ago and still got the 2009 prices....But I am going back again next year and it is still affordable. Not backpacker prices - you could do it cheaper elsewhere...but the quality of Atmosphere has few rivals.

Glad you enjoyed it. It's a great spot!

Well - I trusted your recommmendation and it really paid off in a big way. I had a group of 42 - we loved it so much that I have booked it for July and Septemkber next year. Hey - how are things over at Malapascua..?

You're more than welcome!

Things are great here and we doing some fantastic diving... Sounds like you're addicted to the Philippines now!

You're more than welcome!

Things are great here and we doing some fantastic diving... Sounds like you're addicted to the Philippines now!

Yep - I must admit I was not expecting the diving to be so top notch.....I enjoyed Apo Island more than Sipadan, and we all thought it was even better than North Sulawesi for biodiversity, thought the soft corals of Siladen Wall take a lot of beating. I guess my dive travel agent buddy undersold it a little. He told me the resort was brilliant (true) but told me the diving might be a little under some of our previous experiences....(false).
And regarding other options for Rocky Heap---I just dived my backside off.....but some went off to the Casoriri Falls and loved it....They do take you down to Guisauaan on a Wednesday, and you spend surface intervals at Malapatay Market (fantastic but smelly!)....And we did go into Dumaguette a couple of nights to go to HayahHaya - a local open air night club that has great bands and a good atmosphere....Wednesday night is Reggae night, but Friday but great with a very cool covers band with a little pocket battleship rock chick who sounded like Alanis Morrisette...

Shore dives at the resort - only a slight current. And I think you can dive it anytime - but they do count it as s dive from your package (although if you have the unlimited package then that is not as issue...) They will guide you at any time day or night and they will run a boat out for even only 1 diver (one evening we had one guy only turn up for the Mandarin fish dive..No problem - the boat ran regardless.

Thanks for the tease and description................
Can't Wait! and as you pointed out, it's pretty darn affordable!

DIVE ADVICE TRAVEL - Philippines Siren & Atmosphere

Any gifts you may suggest for the dive staff, as we try and bring things from the States that they can't get local.

hundreds of Manderin Fish? drool drool drool. QUOTE]

Also, Rocky regarding gifts for the dive staff....they really are well equipped and have everything as far as I could see. But speaking of gifts..the resort feeds 85 school children every day....a feeding program that provides the kids with a cooked lunch 5 days a week. The children are from one of the most impoverished areas in Dumaguete, 30 minutes away from the resort. Their parents are part of a large community that has developed at the dump site and their income is gained through foraging through the city’s refuse in search of recyclables for conversion to cash. Rice Sacks and plastic bags are collected and washed; glass and cans are gathered as is anything of the slightest value. The average family income here is around $2 per day and families are accommodated in housing provided by Scandanavian mission organisations. The aim is direct and simple: One nutritional balanced meal per day to school children between the ages of 6-12. Too often, these children do not have access to one substantial meal a day, which makes it hard to pay attention in school or even go to school if they have to spend that time finding a means to get food. The soup kitchen also provides named toothbrushes to each child and dental hygiene is part of the education process.

The success of the program is owed to the mothers of the children who volunteer and run the program, do the daily preparation, serving and clean-up. Atmosphere Staff visits the Soup Kitchen on a weekly basis to monitor weight and nutrition. A great contrast is evident between the squalor of the tip, and the brilliant smiles of the children, turned out neatly in immaculate school uniforms. We visited the children and I confess to tearing up frequently as the experience was a little confronting.
If you had any contacts in the medical profession, I know a few items like bandaids/disinfectant/dental hygeine products would be useful...and any small gifts for the kids (pencils...t shirts...stickers) would put a lot of smiles of some faces.

Atmosphere is superb, great staff, comfy rooms, good food, gorgeous grounds. But the best was the awesome dive staff. We often had a divemaster for just the two of us; after they got to know us they took us to "off the beaten path" sites; most divers would not spend 30 minutes looking for a flamboyant cuttlefish but wow, when we found him it was spectacular; after he got to know us he did his hunting thing, we watched his "tongue" flash out to catch food. AND on a nite dive we found 2 blue ringed octopus; I actually spotted them, took a few photos before anyone saw me and the divemaster came over and I could hear him whooping through his regulator; just an indication on how excited they got with us.

Boats were a gas; not all that comfy but the crew was a hoot. We had to walk a ways on the rocky beach, but now I hear they can tie up in front of the resort. Actually boarding the boat was a trip in itself; the guys practically carry you on, and we were all laughing the whole time.

Oh, yes the mandarinfish dive.... WOW. img136_194 2 mandarinfish lr.jpg

Great place, may well be the most organized resort with the best food and the best diving I have ever seen. GO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom