Trip Report Ambergris Caye March 27th- April 5th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At Splash in Placencia, we have a full range of equipment and most of it is less than one year old and well maintained. Lots of good food and beer here and a wide range of accommodation but most importantly, we are the caye you can drive to so we have the laid back life style of a caye with good access to lots of really interesting inland tours for those days where you want a break from diving (and yes we do take breaks from diving when there are other great things to do or the weather is not optimal). Check us out at Splashbelize.com

How did you guys manage the equipment in Belize ? Is everything provided ? Need to rent ? Worth bring some/all your gear/suit (3mm max, YYEEEESS!) ?

Thanks

It's best to bring certain items. A well chosen and fitting mask is a godsend, as you may not find a rental one that seals properly to your face (everyone's face is a different shape). And of course that way you can also have any required correcting lenses.

A thin neoprene suit or a thick furry diveskin (which is what I use and prefer) are very personal, both for reasons of hygiene but also because a suit stretches to fit the wearer. If you use a rental one it is not going to fit you properly, and the key to keeping warm underwater is not the thickness of the suit but how well it fits you. I would always travel with my own dive computer, as I know how it works and I thereby get a record of my dives. And I would prefer my own regulator, simply because I know it works properly.

Beyond that is a matter of personal preference. A BC is not such a critical item and can usually be rented safely and reliably. Ditto fins, though if like me you like a stiff fin you'll be better off taking your own as most rental fins are soft and floppy. Things like a weightbelt can be rented (though as I prefer integrated weights I would have my own BC anyway). If you want a hood take one with you. Safety gear such as a DSMB/reel won't be available for rental.

It comes down to what gear you're fussy about, and what really doesn't matter to you. If you choose your gear wisely and carefully you can carry a complete set without it weighing too much.

Yep, mask comes first for sure, especially as we all need correction !
We carry suit, reg and DC as well, but i dont like to bring BC and fins.
Very good to know we can get this !

Ralph,
We are leading to a few days in Placencia, so likely we'll splash ;-) before going up north.

Thanks to all.

Looks like you had a really fun time. San Pedro is a really fun town. My wife and I were originally certified at Ramon's, it's a good dive op.

How was the mangrove tour? We missed doing that.

I think #44 of the UW pics is a Grey Angelfish, not French.

I'm glad to see you also take photos of beer bottles, my wife thinks it's silly but for some reason it never gets old for me to take some photos of the beer I'm drinking. Nice trick using two bottles showing both front and back.

Thanks for the info about the Angelfish... I am still learning my marine IDs..

The tour was pretty cool... The mangrove that we boated through was pretty short.. but very neat.. it was on the way to the cave tubing and the zipling.. Everything was worth the trip..

I actually have to give credit to my hubby for the beer bottle pics... I too was quite impressed with the front and back shot... What I would give to be holding a Belikin right now!

How did you guys manage the equipment in Belize ? Is everything provided ? Need to rent ? Worth bring some/all your gear/suit (3mm max, YYEEEESS!) ?

Thanks

Sorry for delay getting back to you... "life"

My husband and I take all of our gear.. fins, mask, reg, and BC.. the boys took all of their gear as well except BCs..

We use these...

Costco - f?l 30" Drop Bottom Rolling Duffel

They are fantastic.. We can fit all of our gear in the bottom and use the top for our clothes... great inexpensive bag for divers IMO..

We each had our own bag to manage.. in addition to a carry on that we use for our regs, masks and swimsuits.. We figure if we have our regs, mask and swimsuits.... the rest of the luggage can get lost and it wouldn't ruin the trip!!

Peter summed it up.. It really depends on how picky you are about your own gear... You can rent it all if you need to and Ramon's gear all looked newer and well taken care of.. We all wore our own 3mm full wetsuits.. I get cold after a few days of diving and I like the protection of a full suit.. so that is also a personal preference. A lot of the people we were with were diving in 3mm shorties.. a few in swim suits only..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom