Trip Report 6/3-6/10: Blue XT~Sea/El Cantil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Martha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Our AA flight arrived in Cozumel at noon. No issues with our flights and all seven bags arrived. We were traveling with our two kids this time (ages 7 & 12) and also brought along a friend to watch them while we were diving, so we had a lot of stuff. We headed to El Cantil and the check-in was quick and painless. We rented unit 6B and all I can say is, “Wow!!!” The unit is fantastic. We got settled in and made a run to Chedraui. Dan (my husband) and I were diving with Blue XT~Sea all week and we were both getting Nitrox and AOW certified, so we had made arrangements to meet Christi at her office to do our Nitrox testing Sat. evening. Woohoo, we both passed. I didn’t know if I would, since I was completely exhausted by then (after waking up at 2:30 AM) and I tend to get a little brain dead when I’m tired. Christi was really nice about having to explain things to me numerous times prior to me taking the test. She’s the BEST! Ate at the condo since it was getting late by the time we finished.

1st dive: (Shamu) Christi’s “Happy Place”. Christi was our AOW instructor and we were doing fish ID on this dive. I was terrible at it, that’s for sure. I did enjoy the dive site though. Saw my first nurse shark, a turtle, a peacock flounder, that I actually spotted all by myself (which I was very proud of) and many other varieties of fish (that I couldn’t identify).

2nd dive: (Shamu) Columbia Shallows. I loved this place! Completed the navigation portion of my AOW cert. We saw another nurse shark. Of course Dan didn’t have his camera on any of the dives we saw nurse sharks. Maybe next time. Also saw turtles, two large barracuda, large schools of grunts. Tons of fish everywhere.

We used Christi’s restaurant list and decided on Sonora Grill. My friend and I got the mixed seafood for two. It was OK, but I didn’t think it was anything special. This was my least favorite of the week.

3rd dive: (Shamu w/Pedro) Palancar Bricks. Beautiful formations and swim throughs. Pedro pointed out some arrow crabs. I saw flamingo tongues and turtles. Very nice dive (of course, to me they’re all good). I did twist my ankle getting back on the boat and fell on my ***** (which was totally embarrassing), after that, I took off my BC prior to climbing back in the boat.

4th dive: (Shamu w/Pedro) Dalila. Saw four turtles, two stingrays and a splendid toadfish (first time seeing one). I just missed seeing another shark. They saw it when I started my safety stop. Since we were doing a night dive, we ordered pizza from Domino’s for the kids and Rachel.

5th dive: Night dive at Paradise w/Pedro. We saw a lobster that had to be over 4 ft. long. It was a monster! I lost count of how many octopus, I think someone said 10. Also saw a squid. I love watching them.

6th dive: (Bandida II w/Christi) Punta Sur Cathedral. Deep dive for AOW cert. Did the puzzle at depth in 25 sec. & 8 sec. on boat. Wow, the cathedral was an awesome dive. The formations and swim throughs were fantastic.

7th dive: (Bandida II w/Christi & Pedro) Columbia Shallows. Saw a sand diver, stingrays, crab, lobster, abundant fish life everywhere you turn. This dive site is wonderful. I could dive here every day and never get tired of it. In the afternoon, we had set up a snorkel trip back to Columbia Shallows on Shamu w/ Arturo as our guide. The kids had a blast (as did the rest of us). Arturo was wonderful and pointed out a lot of things. Mago did his magic for them, which they absolutely loved.

We ate at La Choza. I had the fish fajitas. They were excellent. Everyone was happy with their meal choice.

8th dive: (Bandida II w/Arturo) Cedral Wall. Saw a nurse shark, green moray, groupers. Very nice drift dive.

9th dive: (Bandida II w/Arturo) La Francessa. Beautiful dive! Saw two stingrays, crab, other fish varieties.

In the afternoon we took the ferry to Playa. It was kind of rough and my son wasn’t feeling too good once we got there. We stayed for a few hours, but decided against eating dinner there and headed back to Cozumel. The return trip was even rougher. Everyone did OK, with the exception of our friend who wasn’t feeling to hot. Dramamine worked for the rest of us. She didn’t feel up to eating, so she took the boys back to the condo and Dan and I wemt to Prima for dinner. We had calamari for an appetizer. It was some of the best I’ve ever had (and we eat a lot of seafood). I just got a Florentine pizza and I enjoyed it. Not the best pizza I ever had, but good none the less. Dan got the surf and turf and he was very impressed.

10th dive: (Bandida II w/Pedro) Palancar Caves. Very nice dive. Beautiful formations. Saw two turtles and an eel.

11th dive: (Bandida II w/Pedro) San Francisco Reef. I got to see my first seahorse! Wow, I can’t tell you how exciting that was for me! Last year when we were in Cozumel, Pedro wasn’t able to find a seahorse, so on my last day, he promised if I came back, he’d find me a seahorse. So I reminded him about his promise the first day I saw him and he said that he’d only seen one since “Wilma”, but he’d try his best. The best part about it, not only did we see a seahorse, but two batfish. It doesn’t get any better than that! Sue Sue, had predicted that we were going to see a seahorse and a batfish and I was totally amazed that she was right. (I need to take her to Vegas with me). Anyway, I was walking on air the rest of the day and woke up the next day still smiling about the seahorse. Actually, I still am smiling about it. I don’t know what else we saw that dive, all I recall was the seahorse and batfish.

Ate at Casa Denis. I had shrimp fajitas, which were excellent. Dan had the Mexican combo plate, which he enjoyed. Mango margaritas were enjoyed by Dan and Rachel. I had a taste and they were really good.

12th dive: (Shamu w/Pedro and Sandra) Punta Sur Devil’s Throat. Christi wasn’t sure if everyone would be up for this dive, so she sent an extra DM in case someone didn’t want to go. She goes above and beyond to make sure everyone is happy. We all ended up going, but it was nice having the option not to. I have to admit I was nervous about this dive, but after going through Devil’s Throat, it wasn’t really intimidating at all. I actually enjoyed the other swim throughs more than Devil’s Throat though, especially the third swim through we did. Coming out of it was just amazing to see the formation outlined in coral w/the blue background. It was just breathtaking.

13th dive (last dive of the trip). (Shamu w/Pedro) Paso del Cedral Reef. There was a giant green moray at the beginning of the dive under a ledge, but the current was really moving, so I wasn’t able to stay and watch it for too long. Lots of different fish. Enjoyed watching a little family of sharpnosed puffers. They are so cute! I have to say, I’m much better at fish ID now than in the beginning. I still have a long way to go, but I’m learning. We hated to say goodbye to Pedro and Mago when we got off the boat. We enjoyed every dive and had a wonderful trip from beginning to end.

Random thoughts: We had the chance to dive with a lot of wonderful people this week and really enjoyed meeting each and every one of them. A few of them are SBers (Sue Sue and xiSkiGuy), which was a lot of fun putting faces to the names. Last year we didn’t get to meet Mago because Shamu was being painted, so we really enjoyed meeting him and being entertained by his magic. We loved diving with Blue XT~Sea. Christi and her crew are all wonderful! We had an awesome time in Cozumel and wish we could’ve stayed longer. Maybe next time. By the way, my husband is the photographer in the family, so once he sorts through his pictures, I’ll try to remember to put a link to our website. Oh, one other suggestion for anyone trying to make a connection in Dallas after going through customs, if the lines are really long at the security checkpoint that you come to after leaving customs, go around the hall to the right and you’ll come to another checkpoint that probably has much shorter lines. That was the case for us anyway.

Wonderful trip report... Pedro had found that seahorse on our last day diving a few weeks ago. Unfortunately we were on the other boat! He promised to take us to see it next month. We did get to see the 2 batfish though.

We are also staying at El Cantil with a bunch of non-divers. The place is beautiful... we can't wait!

You'll love El Cantil. By the way, I wanted to thank you. If it wasn't for your beautiful batfish picture that Christi happened to show me, I wouldn't have known what Pedro was pointing at. I'm looking forward to your next trip report and hearing all about your wedding. I hope you'll post lots of pictures.

Martha:
You'll love El Cantil. By the way, I wanted to thank you. If it wasn't for your beautiful batfish picture that Christi happened to show me, I wouldn't have known what Pedro was pointing at. I'm looking forward to your next trip report and hearing all about your wedding. I hope you'll post lots of pictures.
Glad I could help with your "Fish ID" portion of AOW :D

Pedro pointed at them at least 5 times and I still didn't "see" them... not until one moved. I'd still be staring at them trying to figure them out if it wouldn't have moved a bit. :shakehead Sometimes I'm pretty dense.

Martha

What is the status on construction at El Cantil. Is the second tower finished yet? I will be staying there towards the end of the year and hope that all will be done by then.

Thanks

Rich

Rich,

I don't think you'll have any worries toward the end of the year. My husband saw them moving furniture in, so I think they must be really close to being done. I hope you have a great time when you go!

I conversed with Al Dannerman a few days ago regarding the status of the new tower, as we're arriving on June 20th for 12 nights, and are slated for one of the new units (7C North). Here's his quote:

"I am shipping the last containers with furnishings for the top 4 floors including your unit. If for any reason it is not ready, I have a unit on hold in the first tower. We still think the 15th is the ready date."

We'll soon see! I'll post pix and report upon returning

Martha - Thanks for your trip report! It was a great read!

Paul

sddiver:
Martha

What is the status on construction at El Cantil. Is the second tower finished yet? I will be staying there towards the end of the year and hope that all will be done by then.

Thanks

Rich

Paul,

Hopefully your unit is good to go when you arrive. One thing I'll give Albert is that he does seem to get things done, which in Mexico can be challenge. If you get a chance and the doors are open, check out 7L-N at the North End of the floor. We have those at the end of the year.

Have a great time

Rich

No problem Rich, we'll be sure to take a peak at 7LN and report back on the status.

Paul

Yep, I must say the mango margaritas at Case Denis were outstanding, especially after a long day in the sun. Now, the complimentary tequila shots at the end of the meal were a whole different story….

Dan (AKA Martha's Husband)

Back
Top Bottom