Trip report 11/02/03

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleant

Registered
Reaction score
Sat. Nov. 1 found my ten year old son and I driving around Chapel Hill with it 81 degrees and the sun bright.I recalled that a friend at Gypsy Divers, in Raleigh had mentioned that Olympus in Morehead City had just called her. They were bragging about 120 ft. vis and bottom temps of 77.
I had already put up my equipment for the winter and sworn to my wife that I was done.Yea,
I jumped on the net and found that Olympus was running extended day trips on Sat and Sunday to the Naeco.Two deep dives on the same wreck instead of a shallow wreck on the way back in.If it was going to be my last day I might as well go for it.
Called and found out there was plenty of room.they had 50 ft vis and mid 70s on the bottom.As an afterthought I asked if my son could come along for the ride,he had just finished Scuba Rangers and wanted to come watch.The kind girl I was talking to
called the Capitan out on the boat asking if my son could come.Captain said sure but the ride was going to be three hours each way and the seas might be rough.
Drove down to Morehead City Sat evening and got a clean nice room at the Best Western for under $50.00
6am at the boat,had to rent a wet suit ,forgot mine in the rush.14 divers including a mate I had seen over at Discovery.All crew and fellow divers friendly,moderate seas,bright warm sun and a three hour trip out.They had changed the destination to the Lobster Wreck and were we in luck!!Dropped anchor in three to four foot seas,received a clear and thorough pre dive briefing and over we went.
First dive123 ft 22 min vis 100plus. Around 30 feet the wreck started to appear,could see 40,50 ft ot onto the sand all around the wreck.Barracuda,Pompano and amber-jacks on the way down,with some manageable current.Sponges coral,Queen angle Fish,res snappers large Spade-fish and many lobsters who showed me how much faster they were than me.My buddy had a camera and with all the light and fish he had a great time.
#2 121ft. 22min and 80 at the bottom.
Vis was still 100 plus but current had picked up some.I looked for a nurse shark someone had seen the first dive with no luck but half way up the wreck,down between two beams were a pair of Lion Fish.They just sat there even with my light on them.Saw someone else catch another lobster but with limited bottom time I looked around until I had to go back up.Seas were 5ft but everyone got back up safe.My son had a great time and didn't get into anybody's way .
It seems so strange that summer temps and vis are here in Nov.It was a great trip,dive 20 and 21 for me and a wonderful end of a long summer.
Dive Safe
Tom

Any chance your friend would post those pictures?
Nice to see that report. I've read about that wreck, is there any good places for a penetration?

Back
Top Bottom