Trip recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pro99line

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am wanting a little advise about some dive trips that have good shore diving. I have been looking at Bonaire and so far it is striking an interest with me and my girlfriend. We are new divers and don't need anything really challenging. We would like a decent place to stay and unlimited shore diving. We would prefer somewhere that we can do shore dives the entire time instead of having to go on boats. This way we can dive at our leisure and if we decide to call a dive, then we are really not out anything other than some time and can try again later. I did alot of reading and it appears that you can do shore dives around the entire island of Bonaire and the dives are really good from the photos I seen. I tried reading alot of other post to see if I could find any other ones but after several hours of reading I just did not find the answers so I thought I would post.

Any suggestions on a place that has really good shore diving? We would be going in either December or May if this makes any difference. This is the only two months I have time away from school. I am leaning towards May since I cna possibly get a better price for booking so far ahead. We have no geographical limitations or preference other than warm waters.

Go to Bonaire. Its justifiably referred to as the shore diving capital of the world. I took my first trip there in January and can't say enough good things about it. You might want to specify your budget for the trip.

Like Tim said, it won't get any better than Bonaire for the ease of shore diving. Another thing I like about Bonaire is there are a lot of places to stay at all price ranges so it can pretty much fit anyone's budget. Lots of places to eat as well and the folks are great!

I don't know if you will save all that much by booking early. With the way the economy is right now, prices next year may be cheaper than this year. Who knows. What I would do is pick the best possible dates for you to travel, December or May, and start watching airfare. That will be your big variable in price. Once you book that, there will be plenty of places to stay.

So just start watching airfare pretty much everyday because the prices can take some crazy swings. Here is a link to the flights from to states (and other locations) to Bonaire. Bonaire Flight Information - News on Airfare to Bonaire

Good luck in your plans.

Thanks for the information. We are leaning towards Bonaire but were just keeping our mind open for any other spots that have a good reputation for shore diving. We personally would not like to spend anymore than we have to on a place to stay. It willr eally only be a place to sleep anyway since we will be out diving and exploring the island anyway. We don't need any fancy place. I would say not more than 4-5k for two people for a week if possible. This is another reason we would like to keep it to shore diving also is because of budget. It would get expensive to pay for boat dives everyday. Shore diving is not really costly. We will be bringing all our own equipment other than weights and tanks.

Thanks for the information. We are leaning towards Bonaire but were just keeping our mind open for any other spots that have a good reputation for shore diving. We personally would not like to spend anymore than we have to on a place to stay. It willr eally only be a place to sleep anyway since we will be out diving and exploring the island anyway. We don't need any fancy place. I would say not more than 4-5k for two people for a week if possible. This is another reason we would like to keep it to shore diving also is because of budget. It would get expensive to pay for boat dives everyday. Shore diving is not really costly. We will be bringing all our own equipment other than weights and tanks.

Bonaire is the Shore Diving Capital of the World. You will not find anyplace on the planet that compares. There are lots of other destinations that offer decent shore diving, but not enough to be able to do 5 dives per day for a week and never hit the same spot twice. Bonaire does! And those shore dives are fantastic dives!
Check out: Bonaire WebCams - The Works - All the WebCams and Weather and UW Temperature on One Page!
Topics - Bonaire Talk
Info Bonaire - The Bonaire Information Site - The Most Current and Up-To-Date Information
accommodations you might like: Golden Reef Inn, Black Durgon, Carib Inn
buy this: Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, BSDME, Author Susan Porter

my Bonaire shore diving video:
[vimeo]3273329[/vimeo]

the rest of my Bonaire videos: http://www.vimeo.com/album/18778

robin:D

You should easily be able to do Bonaire for that amount including airfare. Check this place out. Golden Reef Inn Resort--Home

Liz, the owner, is a member here on SB. While I have not stayed at her place, I have been to see it and visit her and would stay there in a heartbeat. There are many folks on here that have stayed with her and do so every year. It's probably the best deal on the island.

We don't need any fancy place. I would say not more than 4-5k for two people for a week if possible. This is another reason we would like to keep it to shore diving also is because of budget. It would get expensive to pay for boat dives everyday. Shore diving is not really costly. We will be bringing all our own equipment other than weights and tanks.
You can do Bonaire for 2 for one week all-in (fly/condo/dive/drive) for under $3000. That's including $750pp RT airfare from San Diego (don't know where you live)!
Do some research on the better known all-inclusives (Buddy Dive, etc.), but understand that you can do a lot better price-wise. Economize where you can (bring granola bars, instant oatmeal, tea with you to the island). Arrange accommodations with a kitchen and eat-in since local restaurants can be expensive. I had fun hopping in the truck and hitting up the local markets for groceries -- excellent cheeses and good beer. I understand that some people loathe having to cook while on vacation and like to being pampered on dives (by a DM/dive sherpa). I'm not one of those people.
Bonaire is a great place to do a truly relaxing shore dive vacation...at your own pace...on your own terms. It's one of the best places to take a dive buddy who is prone to seasickness. :D

One more thing: get nitrox-certified before your trip.

Good luck with your trip planning...

I agree with the price point - total cost for me in April 2009 staying at the Belmar was $2,800 for two for everything - food, diving, rental truck, airfare, etc.

You can do Bonaire for 2 for one week all-in (fly/condo/dive/drive) for under $3000. That's including $750pp RT airfare from San Diego (don't know where you live)!
Do some research on the better known all-inclusives (Buddy Dive, etc.), but understand that you can do a lot better price-wise. Economize where you can (bring granola bars, instant oatmeal, tea with you to the island). Arrange accommodations with a kitchen and eat-in since local restaurants can be expensive. I had fun hopping in the truck and hitting up the local markets for groceries -- excellent cheeses and good beer. I understand that some people loathe having to cook while on vacation and like to being pampered on dives (by a DM/dive sherpa). I'm not one of those people.
Bonaire is a great place to do a truly relaxing shore dive vacation...at your own pace...on your own terms. It's one of the best places to take a dive buddy who is prone to seasickness. :D

One more thing: get nitrox-certified before your trip.

Good luck with your trip planning...

We both got nitrox certified last week. :D

We would be happy hitting local markets, eating sandwiches, fruits, and pretty much making our meals. We are not travelling for the cuisine or we would prefer to go to Thailand or Indonesia. We are going for the beaches and diving. Under 3000 for 2 is awesome. I have the money put up so when we make our decision I can make the purchases so we are all set. We would prefer to not have a DM if possible since we seem to have a slower pace than most people. We prefer to take in all the little things in a small spot rather than skim over a large area. She will be getting her moneys worth out of the camera also i'm sure. Haha.

You should easily be able to do Bonaire for that amount including airfare. Check this place out. Golden Reef Inn Resort--Home

Liz, the owner, is a member here on SB. While I have not stayed at her place, I have been to see it and visit her and would stay there in a heartbeat. There are many folks on here that have stayed with her and do so every year. It's probably the best deal on the island.

Thanks. I checked out the website and emailed them with some questions I had. Prices seem very fair.

Back
Top Bottom