Trip advice: A diver and a non diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm very pleasantly surprised by cozumel. Extremely affordable compared to some other locations I've looked into.

Great! Thanks! My wife wants a good pool and beach first and foremost but also rooms with a nice view. She doesn't care to much about going into town. She also wants good food and all inclusive. That's really it. She is going to take in the scenery, read, and lay in the sun.

with those requests, personally i would recommend Hotel Cozumel | Iberostar Cozumel | All inclusive hotel

Dressel Divers is onsite, offer free nitrox and they have nice big boats
also if you book your dives,excursions and equipment online and pay at least 4 days before arrival its 20% off

World class scuba diving in Cozumel!

this year alone we stayed at Iberostar in DR in February and just came back from Iberostar on Mayan Riviera

the resorts are gorgeous and the food is excellent

Great! Thanks! My wife wants a good pool and beach first and foremost but also rooms with a nice view. She doesn't care to much about going into town. She also wants good food and all inclusive. That's really it. She is going to take in the scenery, read, and lay in the sun.
Cozumel Palace has a great view, but no beach. The Occidental Grand had no view, even in the upgraded "Royal Club". Food was very hit or miss there, especially in the Royal Club restaurant. If you don't do the Royal Club, you're only allowed one sit-down restaurant reservation per week - otherwise it's buffet and that's garnered so many negative reviews that I didn't even try it when I stayed there. My original deal was pretty good, but when I priced out the Royal Club for another stay, it was almost as much as the Palace.

Hopefully Secrets will be all I'm expecting. They have a beach. They have oceanview rooms. They have a huge lagoon pool and many rooms are "swim up". They have no kids. They have premium booze and 24-hour room service.

But you may also need to consider price, depending on your budget. AIs in Cozumel range from $80/night or so per couple for the cheapest up to over $400/night for the priciest, though you should be able to find a deal in the summer that gets you down into the $300-range.

I stayed at the Occidental Grand a few years ago and really liked the resort, didn't bother with the sit down restaurants, just did the buffet. Wife and I were not overly impressed, but it wasn't bad either. That being said, my wife had an issue with the kids (I didn't even notice them) so we are staying at Secrets this year. I hope to post a quick trip report in June.

I stayed at the Occidental Grand a few years ago and really liked the resort, didn't bother with the sit down restaurants, just did the buffet. Wife and I were not overly impressed, but it wasn't bad either. That being said, my wife had an issue with the kids (I didn't even notice them) so we are staying at Secrets this year. I hope to post a quick trip report in June.
I liked the layout of the OG. The pizza was great. I also like the Mexican steakhouse enough to eat there twice. Royal Club impressed me for one dinner, but I had an extremely disappointing rib-eye at the next. The Italian was completely unmemorable.

I prefer sit-down over buffet when possible since I'm quite lazy after a long day of diving and it's nice to be waited on, though buffet breakfasts are great for their efficiency on dive mornings. Room service is even better!

Definitely looking forward to your Secrets review.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom