Trimming neck seal @#$#$%#&^*@!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well I just screwed myself. Got my suit back today from DUI after having a new neck seal put on... stretched the seal over an AL80 and began to trim it with an exacto knife just like the last neck seal I trimmed. Got about half way around and the damn thing split all the way down on both sides. Can't believe it... I leave for a dive trip to california in 5 days. My only option would be to pay $115 to next day air it back to DUI and then pay them $150 for rush service all for a new neck seal by next thursday. Should have gotten a neck zip seal too. I can't even call them to see if they can have it done by then because if I wait until monday to ship the suit it's a day longer it's going to take for it to get there. What a great day. $#@$ me... I guess this should have went in the whining forum. :shakehead::shakehead: I'm not blaming it on DUI, probably stretching it too far while trimming it but damnit it's the same way I did the last one :shakehead:

I'm really thinking about paying $300 for a new neck seal AND driving from LA down to san diego to pick it up because I cringe at the idea of diving wet... :depressed:

Two words - ROAD TRIP.

Call Mike at DRIS , he has seals in stock and can do the repair.
If he doesn't have the seal in stock, I can lend you one and you can replace it when they come in.
Option # 2
Drysuits Plus Pricing

Give these guys a call and see if they can help you out.

Jim Breslin

Dive Rite In Scuba has the self adhesive ones. You could just change it yourself for $45. I have never stretched a seal when cutting them. A clean cut is very important so it doesn't split down the road though.
Accessories - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

The seals aren't self adhesive in fact, but rather a circle of adhesive tape & a separate seal.

Yes, I know what it says. Yes, I know what the picture looks like. Yes, I know what you get when you order one.

Dive Right in Scuba is hooking me up. The suit is there now getting a new seal put on. :D

StreetDoctor: Good deal. Glad you hooked up with Mike. You will be good to go for your CA trip.
Where are diving in California?

Glad you're getting it fixed. Just wanted to say I empathize -- I tried the same cutting method on a seal when my Fusion came home from Florida, and the EXACT same thing happened to me. I will NEVER cut a seal that way again!

Mine was one week before leaving on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to the Red Sea. My LDS saved my butt that time, bless their hearts.

I'll be diving at Catalina. Lynne, yep learned my lesson also. Mike recommended a 4" diameter piece of PVC to straighten out the seal but not stretch it too much. I have a feeling I'll be getting a zip neck seal retrofitted next time I need one though so something like this won't happen again.

Back
Top Bottom