Trimming a neck seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a warning about that folks.
Your neck will shrink when its cold. So a seal that feels tight at home in the warm house will feel loose out in the cold water.

I overtrimmed my first neck seal the first time as well.

Put your drysuit on at home - if only the neck and shoulders, and wear it for 10 minutes:

1) Do you go scarlet or blue?

2) Is it hard to breathe normally?

3) Do you feel faint?

4) Do your carotid arteries start bulging?

5) Are you choking?

6) Have your eyeballs popped out of their sockets?

7) Are you unable to sit around and do your normal activities while wearing it?

No? Just it just feel a little bit tight but you are otherwise fine and comfy and able to operate normally after 20 minutes?

Then don’t trim it!

The neck seal will feel very different on the suit vs by itself. The suit pulls the bottom half open and lowers the pressure on the neck.

The seal needs to be tight enough that there’s a certain snugness but you are still able to wear it for a few hours without ill effect.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Wrist seals are easy to enstall with a suitably sized glass inside the seal to allow you to butt the suit and seal together. Just flip the seal back on itself 3/4" to 1", butt it up against the edge of the cuff, apply glue per specifications and roll the overlapped portion of the seal onto the cuff and roll out any air bubbles.

DUI neck seals come pre attached to a neck ring and that makes installing them much easier on a suit of any brand.

I got a new DUI neck seal this weekend but there was no ring with it I read in there hand out about the instal ring and it should make it easier to install does anyone have the inside and outside dia of that ring? I'll just cut one out myself.

It's in our book. 10-5/8" x 8-7/16"ths.

The rings, though (you usually use 2, one for the suit and one for the seal), are sized to fit the seal, so you can easily figure out the dimensions just by laying the neck are of the suit flat, and measuring the I.D. and O.D. of the seal flange. The DUI rings are made to fit DUI suits and seals, and work on many others, but seals come in different sizes so most suit techs and serious DIYers end up with several sets of rings.

I got a new DUI neck seal this weekend but there was no ring with it I read in there hand out about the instal ring and it should make it easier to install does anyone have the inside and outside dia of that ring? I'll just cut one out myself.

Thanks Vance,

Guess I'll have to buy that one too, I love the O2 Hacker!

It's in our book. 10-5/8" x 8-7/16"ths.

The rings, though (you usually use 2, one for the suit and one for the seal), are sized to fit the seal, so you can easily figure out the dimensions just by laying the neck are of the suit flat, and measuring the I.D. and O.D. of the seal flange. The DUI rings are made to fit DUI suits and seals, and work on many others, but seals come in different sizes so most suit techs and serious DIYers end up with several sets of rings.

Hey Dex
Here is the cheap way....
Go to your local Target store, in the kitchen section they have plastic cutting boards for a few bucks. Buy 2 of them.
I cut mine a little smaller, 7" x 9", I use OS seals and on my pinnacle suit that seems to match up better. But hey, what works for you and other folks is fine too.
For the suit side I used the second cutting board cut down to 12" square. Then I went to lowes and bought some $2 clamps I use to hold the suit flat and tight on the board.
I find a solid board is easier to work with and hold while rolling the new seal.

I bought cutting boards because they where cheaper than buying plastic from the local supplier.

Hey Dex
Here is the cheap way....
Go to your local Target store, in the kitchen section they have plastic cutting boards for a few bucks. Buy 2 of them.
I cut mine a little smaller, 7" x 9", I use OS seals and on my pinnacle suit that seems to match up better. But hey, what works for you and other folks is fine too.
For the suit side I used the second cutting board cut down to 12" square. Then I went to lowes and bought some $2 clamps I use to hold the suit flat and tight on the board.
I find a solid board is easier to work with and hold while rolling the new seal.

I bought cutting boards because they where cheaper than buying plastic from the local supplier.

That sound about right, I have some plastic laying around so I thought I would just Roto-Zip it out real quick but the cutting board would work too I know just the ones you are talking about.

Yeah, just stick with a Polypro or Polyeth plastic, the glue does not stick to it at all.

Back
Top Bottom