Trimming a neck seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dexloy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey what do you think about triming the neck seal before you glue it on the drysuit? Wouldn't that make it easy to cut? Just a tought cuz I need to replace mine.

I did not do this when I put them on my suits. I found the suit makes the seal "feel" different.

I was going to trim mine before I glued it on but after it was on the suit I found it fit nice.

I would say trim after installation for the reason stated by fppf.

This is slightly off topic, but where/how did you learn to install a new neck seal? I would love to learn. As far as I know, there are only a handful of places that do drysuit repairs in the San Diego area: DUI, Sea Me Repair, and former employees of Sea Me Repair.

I would show you, its not hard at all.
I have the gift of being able to pick something up and just do it.

I have installed 3 nech seals and 2 sets of wrist seals with no leaks or pop offs.

Oh, airfare may be a bit pricey, but if you want to combine it with some good wreck diving :wink:

yep me to, I have not done it yet but it shouldn't be a big deal. There are some links on the net about how to do it. I've done plenty of wet suit repairs and thats all your realy doing here, just need to think about it, visulize it in my head then do it. I think that triming it after it is attached is the right way.

I would say trim after installation for the reason stated by fppf.

This is slightly off topic, but where/how did you learn to install a new neck seal? I would love to learn. As far as I know, there are only a handful of places that do drysuit repairs in the San Diego area: DUI, Sea Me Repair, and former employees of Sea Me Repair.

Be aware that DUI will now only do repairs on DUI dry suits (per their web site).

@ Dexloy: Let me know how things turn out. If you don't want to tackle the job, I've got the contact info for a guy in Chula Vista who used to work for Sea Me Repair. He does great work and at reasonable prices. $70 for a neck seal replacement + pressure testing. Great turnaround time, too.

@ fppf: Thanks for the offer. With sky-rocketing fuel prices, I think I could probably just buy a new suit instead of a roundtrip crosscountry ticket. The Yukon is a pretty nice wreck here. PM me if you're planning to come out. :)

@ ronbeau: Yup. You're right. Thanks for clarifying.

I was very nervous about cutting my brand new drysuit's seal, but I crossed my fingers and took the advice from this board and streched the seal over a medium bowl or other similar smooth cylindrical object and used a rotary fabric cutter. I was pleasently relieved at how easy it was and it made a perfect cut. Just make sure the blade is nice and sharp.

That is the best way by far to trim a seal.
Nice to see someone reading and having a good turn out.

I should have read this first:shakehead:

I never even got to dive my new drysuit, it had to go in and have a new neck seal put on. I trimmed it toooooooo loose.:no

I did much better the second time:D

Back
Top Bottom