Trimix pricing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lemonade

Reaction score
As I’ve experienced it, air fills are usually priced from $2 to $5 per tank, nitrox - $5 to $10.
Out of sheer curiosity, how much is it to get a set of doubles filled with trimix?

...ridiculously high. Not to mention they will probably want to see a card that says you are qualified to breathe helium. When you get to that stage you want to be blending at home. I would guess in the neighborhood of $50-$75 for a set of double 80s around here. We are setting up a home blending station at the start of next season to side-step the whole problem...

Better idea...call "The Dive Shop" in Fairfax and ask them...they pump trimix.

We blend mix. So far the only one I've sold it to is me though. To give you and idea He costs me $0.33 per cubic foot. I actually pay a little less but I can't use the whole tank full (pp blending and I can only have so many tanks as a cascade). So...if you have double 104's and you want xx/40 (40% He) I pay $27.45 just for the He

And yes, I need to see a worthless piece of plastic before I sell it. That is because after a diver goes and does a dive he isn't ready for and doesn't come back his family will do everything they can to make me pay for every mistake he ever made. Thats why I am forced to spend a huge sum of money every year on insurance. If I don't see the worthless piece of plastic the insurance company will leave me high and dry.

Not onlt do I need to see the card but I keep a log od every other than air fill I sell. Recorded on that log is your agency and cert # along with your signiture stating that you verified the gas analysis and the MOD for the mix. This is so I have some evidence that you knew what you were buying and how to use it.

It isn't the gas that's dangerous it's the dives where the gas is normally used.

O-ring,
Even if you mix your own many boat operators won't let you do dives without the right cards. Are the cards worthless? A card by itself doesn't mean anything. but if your plan is to teach yourself to do these dives I suggest don't but if you insist I suggest EXTREME CAUTION. A DIRF and reading GI's internet posts doesn't qualify as tech training. A dive that requires multiple stops and multiple gasses adds a level of complexity and task loading that is easy to underestimate and it can kill you.

I know there is alot of anti-agency sentement going around and they certainly have there problems but there is no substitute for a good tech instructor who does tech dives.

These guys with the websites that declare how easy it is to mix gas and dive it and how useless the agencies are will kill people before it's all said and done. Get the worthless card and then stay current. You will choose to incorporate new methods and theories that were not in your class but you will have help surviving the learning curve.

This is just my opinion but I do the dives and I know some of the associated challanges first hand. Also IMO you don't know enough to eveluate what you read on the net without the training. ok, I'll shut up now.

I will retract part of my post...
A DIRF and reading GI's internet posts doesn't qualify as tech training. A dive that requires multiple stops and multiple gasses adds a level of complexity and task loading that is easy to underestimate and it can kill you.
I was thinking recreational helium usage, but you are right about deeper/staged deco diving. Anyway, I wouldn't have responded since I don't dive mix, but I know Lemonade and he lives near me...dives some of the same wonderful quarries I do. Figured the local heresay/knowledge would be worth something.

Lemonade once bubbled...
As I’ve experienced it, air fills are usually priced from $2 to $5 per tank, nitrox - $5 to $10.
Out of sheer curiosity, how much is it to get a set of doubles filled with trimix?

About $30 for dbl 95/104. Depends somewhat on He content.

Phil

At the price I pay for Helium... about $13 goes into a set of double 104s for a 21/35 fill. Round up to $15 to cover electricity/maint.

Course that is if they are flat - which they never should be. If they are half full... then half that.

Between 10 and 50 cents per cubic foot for most mixes depending on whether you do it at home or go through your local shop. A new shop just opened in the wreck alley of FL that banks mix and sells it for 20 cents/c.f. Check out http://fillexpress.com/fills for specifics.

I got the idea. Pricey, but cost definitely is not prohibitive.

The thing is, I just finished reading "The Last Dive". Per book, the narcosis was the major contributing factor in the chain of events leading to the main heroes' death.
They couldn’t afford trimix… must’ve been even more expensive back then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom