Trimix instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big name does not equal excellent instruction. There are several "big name" instructors here in cave country that put out horrible students. There's also those I call the "kave kardashians" that have a presence on social media that makes them seem like the best of the best instructors, but are acutally a-holes that put out ok students at best

Preach on @rddvet -- I feel your pain.

Concur with others about the “big name” bit. Lots of personality to sort through when you’re just trying to cut tables, get on with gas switches and deal with failures.

I referenced Landon for his knowledge, experience and values. He’s in the water all the time diving at and above what he teaches. Definitely the antithesis of a person pursuing a big name. He’s pretty humble and he won’t push you to buy Deep 6 Gear which was, for me, the precise trick to get me to start buying Deep 6 stuff (that sneaky b*stard).

I referenced Landon for his knowledge, experience and values. He’s in the water all the time diving at and above what he teaches. Definitely the antithesis of a person pursuing a big name.
+1. I've been really impressed by his approach!

He’s pretty humble and he won’t push you to buy Deep 6 Gear which was, for me, the precise trick to get me to start buying Deep 6 stuff (that sneaky b*stard).
:rofl3:

Years ago I did several decompression divers from a boat that included a famous name instructor and a student. Our decompression was done drifting next to a line that had been tied to the wreck but was allowed to float under the ball so that everyone could drift along with it as the boat followed. All the divers, of course, hovered in trim at various stop depths near the line. The exception was the famous instructor and student. They hung onto the line at each stop, negatively buoyant, hanging vertically.

Years ago I did several decompression divers from a boat that included a famous name instructor and a student. Our decompression was done drifting next to a line that had been tied to the wreck but was allowed to float under the ball so that everyone could drift along with it as the boat followed. All the divers, of course, hovered in trim at various stop depths near the line. The exception was the famous instructor and student. They hung onto the line at each stop, negatively buoyant, hanging vertically.
there are no rules - if youre doing an hour of deco get comfortable -ive stood on trapeze bars on some long decos

there are no rules - if youre doing an hour of deco get comfortable -ive stood on trapeze bars on some long decos
Actually, there are rules when it comes to instruction.

The agency for which I teach requires students to hold decompression stops while hovering within a narrow range. They are required to be able to do gas shutdown drills during decompression stops, again holding that depth.

BTW, in the dives I am talking about, typical total decompression time would have been maybe a half hour.

Actually, there are rules when it comes to instruction.

The agency for which I teach requires students to hold decompression stops while hovering within a narrow range. They are required to be able to do gas shutdown drills during decompression stops, again holding that depth.

BTW, in the dives I am talking about, typical total decompression time would have been maybe a half hour.
ok fair comment

As one who took the Trimix course with him, I'd also recommend @LandonL as well. The reasons are numerous, but suffice it to say that I don't regret it at all and would recommend him to any of my friends/family looking for the same type of training.

They don't have to be big names, but you do need to get on with them as there's multiple courses to do.

Before that though, you need to have your core skills -- buoyancy, finning, trim -- well and truly sorted. If not, doing the technical courses will be very hard work and a strong chance of failure.

The main thing is to chat to them. Make sure that they actually dive as technical divers with helium and probably a rebreather. What you don't want is some recreational instructor who's "done their tek tikit".

A big name instructor's great, but you may find they're strict and don't cut much slack.

But it's fun! Enjoy!
Other than the travel it’s usually not significantly more expensive to train with well known instructors than with people you have never heard of whose qualifications and experience is unclear. It might be more complex to schedule but such is life.

And strict attention to detail is not usually bad when doing things that can kill you if you are sloppy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom