trim progress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nimoh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been having trouble with my trim for quite some time now. Whenever I stop moving, my feet sink, unless I keep them moving in a semi-backward kick to keep me stationary, and my feet up. I have been working on keeping horizontal, and my knees up, but hasn't seemed to change this.

Then, last weekend, I stopped a couple of times on the dive and low and behold my head was dropping. I was ecstatic, and for the rest of my dive, I alternated between stopping and keeping up with my team :)

Now, all I have to do is find the fine line between the two :)

What sort of BCD do you dive?
Is this noticeable in a wetsuit, drysuit, or both? If you dive a dysuit, how do you control buoyancy?
Have you changed anything about your set-up prior to the change in trim?

Does take tweaking doesn't it? I started out with a Zeagle Express Tech with zip-touch weight pockets, and I was head-up in it. Added a couple of trim pockets at the top of the shoulder straps so they ride just to the back of my shoulders and with 1 lb in each I ride just right (although it makes donning the BC a bit of a hassle because the shoulder straps now tend to twist when I put them on). Now I mostly dive a steel BP and have no trim problems.

What sort of BCD do you dive?
Is this noticeable in a wetsuit, drysuit, or both? If you dive a dysuit, how do you control buoyancy?
Have you changed anything about your set-up prior to the change in trim?

On this dive I was diving steel HP100 doubles on a backplate with a 60lb wing and in a drysuit. I have been diving this configuration for a few months now.

I have had negative feet both in this configuration and in a wetsuit diving an AL80 single.

Have not made any other changes other than trying to change my technique (getting horizontal, slight back arch, tightening up my gluts, and getting my knees up). I think previously, I would get my knees up, but then get a little wobbly on balance, and first instinct was to drop my knees causing the sensation of being foot heavy (It's a learning process).

Be aware of equipment variations, including tank size and type, exposure suit, and fins. Trim can be controlled by weight placement in most cases. Nimoh is a divemaster with over 100 dives. Should be getting this down pretty soon, but all of us can always improve.
DivemasterDennis

Does take tweaking doesn't it? I started out with a Zeagle Express Tech with zip-touch weight pockets, and I was head-up in it. Added a couple of trim pockets at the top of the shoulder straps so they ride just to the back of my shoulders and with 1 lb in each I ride just right (although it makes donning the BC a bit of a hassle because the shoulder straps now tend to twist when I put them on). Now I mostly dive a steel BP and have no trim problems.

yes it does.

I am convinced that my issues are not related to my equipment configuration, so trying to avoid doing things like trim pockets. Looking forward to getting back out for some dives in a couple of weeks to try things out again :)

Keys to Trim - Arms out in front, head up, crunch butt cheeks, ankles closer to your butt and point toes. Majority of the time when legs are dropping, your ankles are too far away from your butt. Legs dropping when stopping is common when first learning, small loss of focus, keep at it and it will come. Try to get someone to video you and look for the things that I mentioned.

Keys to Trim - Arms out in front, head up, crunch butt cheeks, ankles closer to your butt and point toes. Majority of the time when legs are dropping, your ankles are too far away from your butt. Legs dropping when stopping is common when first learning, small loss of focus, keep at it and it will come. Try to get someone to video you and look for the things that I mentioned.

Thanks Wayne, this is consistent with the current advice that I have. I am going to be divemastering in the pool this coming weekend (but not in my doubles), and I think I am going to take your advice and have someone shoot some video of me for a few minutes after the class.

That is a good game plan. Sometimes to go back to a single tank and work on technique will give some more confidence, then apply in the doubles. Pool time is key, even if only 8' deep. A lot of my tec students come in weekly with doubles, stages etc. and practice while cooped up during the winter, this way they keep sharp. If you can do all these skills in shallow water, it will be even easier at depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom