Trim in Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the same problems starting out. At first, an 18lb (-9 in water) canister light kept things "balanced", but when I switched to an HID I was way too top-heavy.

I switched to an Alum backplate, and a 6lb "tail weight" (sits on the lower tank bolt and drops to the bottom of the tanks) did the trick.

The other problem with the SS backplate - and with being too heavy in general - is that you have to put more gas in the wing to stay in place. However, when you move in the water column, the excess gas is just a PITA to manage.

Cheers,

-s

cfenton:
The kicker is that my tech1 is in a month!

I just went through a rec triox class where everyone in the class was at around dive# 15-30 or so in doubles and everyone had trim issues and it hurt quite a lot.

Make sure that you have your head up and resting against the manifold. Also, arch the back and do the thing where you try to act like you're holding a pencil in your butt.... If that fails, try to loosen the shoulder straps and tighten the crotch strap to pull the tanks down. I just did that and it seems like it works a bit better. I got down to 1500 psi on my last dive and was still not doing head-stands. Hopefully, I can get down to 500 psi and hover without going on my head. If not, I think I'll have to switch to an Al backplate.

I don't like weightbelts, though, since they can fall off, and if you're doing planned decompression, ditching a weightbelt is not really a good option. Tail mounted v-weights or some bullet weights on the waist belt held in by a weight keeper seem like better solutions...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom