Trilobites, do you really need one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there trim ceramic cutters? The ceramics I've found are much bigger than the Trilobite, such as the very similar looking DGX, IST, and Mares XR.

I switched to the DGX ceramic Sharp Cut after passing on a rusty Trilobite or cleaning and reassembling a razor blade in my post salt dive routine.

The risk of chipping is well taken, but it has two blades, I have shears, and several ceramic spares in my bag/house. Vs the risk of rusting out or cutting myself from repeatedly clearing a razor when I'm wiped.

Reactions: Zef
I never used a ceramic Trilobite but I am a knife enthusiast and I have used and abused a lot of blades in my life. Most ceramic blades chip when used for anything but slicing. I would imagine that using a trilobite in a normal fassion involves some stress on the blade (you pull it trough at odd angles), and again in my humble experience ceramic hates being stressed from the side. Only Trilobite I used was a very rusty and dull one, still cut trough harness without much force.

If my only cuting tool was the ceramic Trilobite I would be worried, however as I read your replies I see that you carry a number of cutting devices so there should be no problem, just examine the blade after every use.

considering the thousands of dollars spent on gear, a $20+/- line cutter is not even a blink on the radar, but available as a cutting device makes it's value priceless...
^^This... plus they're small, and don't weigh a lot...

Sorry for disappearing folks but I had a few personal issues to resolve before getting back to the fun stuff. LOL....

Now to go back and read all 8 pages worth of replies.......I can't wait!! :thumb:

Okay i went back and read all the replies (again thanks), and some good points were made.

I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't saying I didn't want or need one, but more a question of "do I need one for every appendage, and every blank spot on my kit". LOL....

It was also encouraging to see that there wasn't a large percentage of "I get snagged every 3rd dive, and absolutely need one". It appears to me that the biggest use a scuba divers knife gets, is preparing food or drink.........which I'm also good with. :)

I dive with the Hydros Pro and there is a knife attachment that I think I will order to make sure I have one (hopefully with the blunt tip as I see more use with that than I do a sharp one), as well as a trilobite......and possibly shears. LOL....

I frequently get teased for being a "Batman" wannabe (the tool belt with everything on it), by my friends and family, so I'm sure diving will be no different. Of course I'm not worried about what others think of me, I am however worried about #flappysnaghazzards and as such want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Does it make more sense to attach your cutting implements to your wrists, waist or you shoulder straps?

I guess that's more of a personal preference, just so long as something is reachable by either hand.......correct?

I'm curious about the shears. What kind are you folks using? I quit carrying after my third pair fell apart . . .from disuse.

Haven't carried my dive knife on my body in years though it still travels with me.

I have a trilobite, that also has never seen use but it hasn't fallen apart either, like the shears do.

Its trade offs, and it depends. Up to you. 12 cutting devices is over kill, :). Trillobite (steel or ceramic) on wrist (or both wrists), + sheers, +heavy cutter is well prepared to me. Another option is a tiny knife on a hand held light mount.

I have the DGX sheers which have held up well.

ETA: A factor in the number to carry is that you may drop one. If you only had one, now you have none!! One is none, two is one.

I have unintentional overkill depending on the dive. I've got a trilobite on each computer, but one is attached to my rebreather, and the other one is on a Predator EXT so it gets double duty for OC/CCR. The Light Monkey lights I have all came with the little Goodman handle knife, although I've never used either and should probably just get rid of them. I have a steak knife on my belt. So if I'm diving OC I might have one trilobite (computer) and one little LM knife (12W handheld). If I'm on my CCR in a cave I've got 4 on me, which is certainly overkill.

I like the trilobites because they are convenient, live where I need them, easy to service (silicone the blades and you minimize rust issues), and they work well for cutting. It's not gonna cut through an anchor line, but that's what the steak knife is for.

I'm curious about the shears. What kind are you folks using? I quit carrying after my third pair fell apart . . .from disuse.

Haven't carried my dive knife on my body in years though it still travels with me.

I have a trilobite, that also has never seen use but it hasn't fallen apart either, like the shears do.
I, too, have had problems with them. I wish Spyderco would make shears with their H-1 steel.

Given the cost of a pair of shears, I will happily pay the price when ever mine fall apart (from Amazon UK approx £1.80 so about $2.40). The only part that will fall apart though is the hinge pin so with a little care on that (dry and lube) it should last a reasonable time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom