TriLam Drysuit Repair Question - Patching on Outside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a DUI TLS. Love it.

Been getting a bit wet on the back, so I started searching for the hole. Turns out I've abrated the place where the drawstring knot is. My BP has likely been rubbing there long enough to cause a leak.

The problem is I can't get to the source of the leak from the inside and slap on some Aquaseal / Cotol, because the flap of material that holds the drawstring in place (on the inside of the suit) is sort of cemented over the area of the abrasion (on the outside of the suit.)

So I'm thinking I have two optons:

a) Somehow pull off the fabric patch on the inside and just do the usual Aquaseal/Cotol thing. Unless there is a magic way of doing this, I forsee lots of tugging and yanking and likely some cursing. I guess I could cut a small slit into the fabric patch to access the abrasion...

b) I would prefer to attach a little patch over the area on the outside. Because even if I am able to fix it from the inside, it will one day get rubbed open again. A patch will add a measure of toughness to this frequently rubbed area.

MY QUESTION (finally, ken....)

What is the proper way to apply a patch to the outside of a TriLam suit? It can't be an Aquaseal / Cotol thing, can it? Don't I need to rough up or remove the Nylon to get to something smooth? Do I use Seal Cement?

Anyone who's successfully patched the OUTSIDE of a TriLam suit, I'd really appreciate some pointers here.

Thanks!

Ken

OK - here's what I did.

I thought about that wacky shock cord thingy, and decided my suit fits pretty well, and the mighty 3/4" to 1" of fabric it took in across the back of the suit doesn't make a material difference.

So I got inside and peeled off the fabric panel - as forever my BP would rub that darn knot. So I patched it from the inside. We'll see how it goes this weekend.

I'm telling you, the water test reveals all. Love it.

---
Ken

SelfMo2vated:
OK - here's what I did.

I thought about that wacky shock cord thingy, and decided my suit fits pretty well, and the mighty 3/4" to 1" of fabric it took in across the back of the suit doesn't make a material difference.

So I got inside and peeled off the fabric panel - as forever my BP would rub that darn knot. So I patched it from the inside. We'll see how it goes this weekend.

I'm telling you, the water test reveals all. Love it.

---
Ken
Glad you successfully weeded through all the conflicting suggestions and patched wisely. Self-rescue Rules!! :D

Field testing to commence at 2000 hours on Thursday. See you there!

'Dette

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom