Triggers of Dive Accidents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never dive without my 40 cubic pony bottle and always dive with people who use them and sometimes on occasion I have come really close to running out.
Therefore I tent now to do more planned dives than just going to go get wet.
I think I would rather share my pony than my main air unless it was to save someone.
I think everyone should learn to us them.....

For those who read the linked article....when George talks about the speed of ascent from "the bigger dives"...he is talking about doing 280 foot deep dives for durations as long as 6 or 7 hours.....Big dives for George means going to the end of the line in Wakulla, or some comprable big adventure dive.

There is another article that Scott could have been referring to on http://www.frogkick.nl/files/george_irvine_dir_articles.pdf I tried to copy the page 12 and 13 articles ( fairly relevant), but the pdf is copy protected.

REgards,
DanV

That isn't what Dan is saying.
It's a pretty straightforward restatement of every time he's addressed the risk of gas absorbtion. No concern for anything except clinical manifestations. No need for any concern beyond the limits of dive models. Read #199: bubbles = no big deal.

ken really do you believe what you are saying or just pulling my leg not teaching ooa drill is like telling a fighter pilot you dont need a parachute if you dont run out of gas . my point is there are other things that stop air or you have a rapid loss of gas ie lp hose fail you have about 72 sec to solve that problem ( I know it happened to me) training solves thatproblem not the stupid yes i said the s word stupid idea we dont teach ooa drills really classes are to short now and your darwin approach to scuba instruction must come from ingestion of mercury in sea food . so I say your just pulling my leg as your naui # shows your old enough to know better lol that a good one

delete

I read him as saying that if you have to make a choice between DCS or OOA, DCS is fixable ... death is not.

I don't know if this is what Dan meant or not but I happen to agree with this statement 100%.

Therefore, don't get so fixated on the safety stop that you run yourself out of air and therefore put yourself in an even worse place ... because in any case, running out of air greatly increases your risk of a bad outcome.

Also good to keep in mind.

- Ken

It's a pretty straightforward restatement of every time he's addressed the risk of gas absorbtion.

No, its really not. If you had a better background in decompression theory you might be able to understand what you're reading.

No concern for anything except clinical manifestations. No need for any concern beyond the limits of dive models. Read #199: bubbles = no big deal.

If you're paranoid about bubbles and you're worried about bubbles in the absence of any clinical symptoms, then you should take up a different sport. Bubbles happen after every single recreational dive of any consequence.

Back
Top Bottom