Triggers of Dive Accidents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assuming a depth of 50 to 60 feet--most divesites in Florida, common at resorts as well....I should have added the 50 to 60 foot depth....

If they notice they are suddenly at 500 psi, at this depth, the risk is that by the time they get their act together ( buddy team) and ascend, by the time they reach 15 feet they could easily be at 250 psi or less....I do not believe under these conditions, the new diver should do a stop. No Way!.

First, typical new diver on 50 to 60 foot dive, will probably have been down 30 minutes to 35 when this happens....even if they get to 45, this is a NO STOP required depth and duration....this means the stop is a relatively trivial issue, when compared to the REAL danger that they could run out of air at 15 feet, and then screw up in an OOA panic. If they have practiced CESA many , many times, I should think the danger would be tiny, but again, there is no need to stop in this scenario, and why risk running out of air for real?

Regards,
DanV
Well you gave the whole physiological side a pretty dismissive pass, so I have to say, how much risk is there of running out of air if you've got 500 psi at 60 ft and want to ascend slowly - directly or with safety stop - and then what is the joint probability that 'running out of air', which is not a precipitous event, will result in injury?

The physiological implications of diving a full tank out at 60 ft aren't nothing, nor are they necessarily properly assessed from solely the likelihood of acute damage or noticeable manifestation, are they? To say a safety stop is optional under any profile, much less one at 2 atm of overpressure, begs for inspection of the analytical framework to say the least.

People have a pretty intuitive grasp of what it means to manage their equipment and actions so that they don't drown or injure themselves, at least the ones I've known. Not that some extra conservatism isn't helpful for some. The same can't be said for managing the risk from the harsh physiology of diving. The markers for how you're doing are just not certain or immediate. The diver knows there's a trade-off between safety of ascent and air supply, and here he hears that hands down, air supply (even with perhaps 2-3X what is needed for the recommended profile), is all but his only concern and nearing crisis (referring to the hyperbole used). Are you that certain?

I think you are proving Dan's point.

Dan's point was that new divers may not be well-advised to carry out a safety stop if they are caught at depth with less than 500 psi. In my case that did happen and the circumstances were managed calmly. What in my post led you to believe that the safety stop was not a good idea in my case, especially considering that I could have done a CESA from 20 feet?

Saying that you have an AI computer and know how to use it doesn't make sense when you then say you were at 70 fsw with 400 psi...the AI computer didn't do it's job apparently.

Why would you claim that my computer did not do its job? It allowed me to monitor my rate of ascent and to count down both safety stop and air remaining on one display? I only claimed that it was air-integrated, not an artificial intelligence.

I think you are proving Dan's point. Ending a dive with 50 psi on the gauge is not a good idea. The gauge isn't even that accurate. Saying that you have an AI computer and know how to use it doesn't make sense when you then say you were at 70 fsw with 400 psi...the AI computer didn't do it's job apparently.
:idk:

What? He'd been at 70 ft long enough to be at 400psi! The symbolic value of finishing with >50 psi exceeds the prudence of a slower ascent in your theory of dive risk management? Why the slavish fealty to an arbitrary standard for wasted gas?

Dan's point was that new divers may not be well-advised to carry out a safety stop if they are caught at depth with less than 500 psi. In my case that did happen and the circumstances were managed calmly. What in my post led you to believe that the safety stop was not a good idea in my case, especially considering that I could have done a CESA from 20 feet?

Why would you claim that my computer did not do its job? It allowed me to monitor my rate of ascent and to count down both safety stop and air remaining on one display? I only claimed that it was air-integrated, not an artificial intelligence.

I don't think it's well advised to end up with only 50 psi. Do you feel great if you pull into a gas station with your car running on fumes?

An AI computer should be telling you how long you can stay at whatever depth you are at and still have an appropriate reserve. You already didn't have an appropriate reserve before the assent. You can do that without an air integrated computer.

:idk:

What? He'd been at 70 ft long enough to be at 400psi! The symbolic value of finishing with >50 psi exceeds the prudence of a slower ascent in your theory of dive risk management? Why the slavish fealty to an arbitrary standard for wasted gas?

A slow ascent is fine but you need air to do it. Winding up with 50 psi is not a good thing in my book. Winding up with essentially an empty tank is not a good thing. After the fact it's fine. Winding up at the gas station in your car on empty is fine if you actually make it there. It's not a good plan however.

If you are on a boat you may slip off the ladder, get caught up in kept, need to assist a buddy, whatever. 50 psi is essentially 0 since gauges aren't that accurate.

It's dangerous only because typical dive training only requires students to do it once, in simulated conditions, from relatively shallow depths, while an instructor is holding onto their BCD. After OW class, they're never required to do it again ... and almost nobody practices the skill.

That's not learning a skill ... that's being shown how to learn it. Skills are only learned through repeated application.
Might I recommend repeated application?
Facing a situation under stress is nothing like doing it with the assistance of an instructor. The assertion that OW divers are "trained" to do a CESA is a fallacy if one only follows the minimal requirements of their agency. It would be more accurate to say they've been shown how to do it ... once ... perhaps years ago.
Might I recommend repeated application? Oh, and periodic practice.
String..I think your suggestion about the OOA not being so easy a year or two after training, is what the agencies are afraid of.....I am not so sure I agree with them though. If you really practice this CESA enough, in the early days of your diving, it becomes a skill you don't lose...essentially like "riding a bike".
And if you continue to practice, say from 90 up to 20, you stay fresh.
I remember the first time I decided to practice free ascents back in the late 70's....from around 90 feet....... heading up, my lungs felt like a factory making air....the higher I got, the more air kept coming...it was actually kind of cool, and kind of fun.
Yup, back in the day we had to do free ascents from the depth of our certifications, 30, 60, 100, 130, 150, 190. But it was easier back then, the ascent rate was 60fpm and there were no safety stops.
After you have done this several times, I think there should be almost a neuro-chemical change in your brain and your permanent memories....every time you do an ascent from then on..year after year, for decades, each ascent should remind you that air is being "manufactured" as you rise...There should be no need to "process" the thought of "how" to free ascend to the surface 20 years later...you should still have this, just like riding a bike..it should still be hard wired. If it is not, I don't think you ever really learned it in the first place....indicating original training was sadly inadequate.
Agreed, but why not practice anyway? Just be careful.
On another note.....
Scubapro used to make a regulator back in the 80's that would have the 1st stage start really HONKING when the tank got low....This was a high flow potential reg, as Pat Frain used to use one of these with us back in the 90's for everything from 140 foot deep HOLE IN THE WALL dives to even deeper stuff like the wrecks around 220.
That was the MK-VII, it was annoying as all hell.
But a reg like this could be mandated for Beginning Open Water Divers, or any diver that dives infrequently. The training agencies could use this to prevent OOA...they could mandate proceedures for what to do if the reg starts honking....if you see your buddy with a reg that begins honking, you know he/she is in an emergency surface- now scenario, and you need to get them to the surface...some agencies would have the buddy with sufficient air, donate a long hose prior to OOA, and have both head to the surface....another might just suggest the one buddy help make sure the low on air buddy with honking reg actually gets up to the surface---directs behavior, assists bouyancy if needed, etc.
The honking leaves no doubt about the problem.
With the stats we are discussing in this thread, it would seem this old technology would be perfectly in line with the issue.

REgards,
DanV
It would work in that application, but so would a lot of easy to use electronics these days.
Which is exactly my point. IF it happens for real its not going to be a nice controlled ascent looking up, making a sound and just riding positive buoyancy. Its going to be click..no gas. wide eyes, look for buddy. there isnt one, panic, i need to be out of here now, fin like hell and maybe inflate to the surface MAYBE remembering to breathe out. A real life cesa is NOT going to be controlled.
Every real life case that I have had actually witnessed was perfectly controlled. If your experience is different ... you're diving with the wrong crowd.
My main reason for disliking it however is it teaches a student that its "OK" to bolt to the surface if you get a problem rather than problem solving on the bottom. Im also against buddy breathing being removed as believe a breathable source of gas is far better than bolt n pray.
It is never OK to bolt, it is always better to solve it at depth and BB is a much better solution that an ESE, what's your point? That the agencies are run by fecocephalics? What else is new?
I don't think it's well advised to end up with only 50 psi. Do you feel great if you pull into a gas station with your car running on fumes?
I feel much better than I would walking down the road with a gas can.
An AI computer should be telling you how long you can stay at whatever depth you are at and still have an appropriate reserve. You already didn't have an appropriate reserve before the assent. You can do that without an air integrated computer.
Or with one, just depends on what you got.

I like your analogy of the car. Would you run a red light so that you'd get to the station with 1.5 gallons left instead of 1 gallon? How about if it were 8 oz instead of 4 oz? Even if you could push your car the rest of the way into the station? What's the worst that's likely to happen if you run out of gas (near the station)? A little inconvenience, or a heart attack at the mere recognition of your vulnerability? When does the gas(oline) not become the obsession?

Other things can get you, as you point out, yet running the light to spare the fuel you need to swerve around the dog that probably isn't waiting to run into the road ahead is not how you should prioritize risk.

I don't think it's well advised to end up with only 50 psi.

Yup - that is precisely what I stated in my post which you are taking issue with. Thanks for agreeing with me.

An AI computer should be telling you how long you can stay at whatever depth you are at and still have an appropriate reserve.

That depends on which warnings you have enabled and which you have disabled. It also depends on what value (zero or non-zero) you have entered as a reserve.

You already didn't have an appropriate reserve before the assent.

Thanks for agreeing with me, again.

You can do that without an air integrated computer.

Yes, you can.

I'm not arguing that you endanger yourself to get to the surface with some magical number. It's a balancing act obviously. You make a slow ascent (you define slow) and end up with a reasonable reserve.

To me it's not reasonable being at 70 fsw with 400 psi in the first place. Correct that and everything else falls into place.

I don't think the old time practice of running out of air and making a controlled ascent straight to the surface is a great standard practice. I just don't agree that a prolonged safety stop is called for if you are about to run out of air. I think something in reserve is a good idea.

I'm not arguing that you endanger yourself to get to the surface with some magical number. It's a balancing act obviously. You make a slow ascent (you define slow) and end up with a reasonable reserve.

To me it's not reasonable being at 70 fsw with 400 psi in the first place. Correct that and everything else falls into place.
I don't think that was being advocated, it just happened.
I don't think the old time practice of running out of air and making a controlled ascent straight to the surface is a great standard practice. I just don't agree that a prolonged safety stop is called for if you are about to run out of air. I think something in reserve is a good idea.
I don't remember bodies lining the shore in the old days, that approach worked just fine. I agree with you about safety stops though, we got people so scared to skip a non-required stop that they'll get themselves into all kinds of other trouble just to make it, when they really don't need to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom