Tried a BP/Wings set up this weekend.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillAbbott

Reaction score
Well, I tried out a BP/Wings set up this weekend, and slowly I'm becoming more and more DIR. I also got a computer from a friend who was upgrading, and though it is a console, I still attach it to my BC with a single Bolt snap as in DIR (and like it that way, no cheasy retractor for me :))

But I did also try an wing set up, I belive the BP was OMS, it was an older single tank Halcyon wing (no integrated STA) an STA, and a Dive Rite Delux Harness.

First off, I would NOT buy the same set up. I would buy a full Halcyon rig, with the single peice harness. I proved the point while still in the dive shop. I was just standing there checking the fit, and accidentally popped the "quick" release snap on the shoulder... WAY too easily.

That being aside, it was very comfortable in and out of the water, though the plate and STA weight more than a normal BC (and you could feel the extra weight) it was still comfortable even though it felt heavier.

In the water I did find it slightly difficult to maintain vertical a few times, but quickly found that letting more air out of the wing, and more into my drysuit kept me at the same buoyancy but without trouble staying upright.

I do belive I was overweight, which I didn't like. The harness also was missing the crotch strap, which didn't seem to effect it much (not knowing for sure, it still fit and stayed on me ok) the waist strap was too loose, and I couldn't tighten it fully, it kept sagging down on me slightly (had weight pockets as well)

Once I finally got underwater I found it interesting, it did have a tendancy to hold me horizontal, though I had no trouble in changing that attitude (to go deeper, look in holes, etc) but it did 'feel' as if it wouldn't let me pivot, though it would let me. The shorter LPI hose was a little awkward in that I had difficulty finding it a few times being SO used to longer ones. However it worked 10x better, and liked venting with it much more.

The left side lower dump valve is WAY better, I don't know why anyone would put it on the right side, I even tried it at one point, and found it easier to find and use than other BC's.

The LPI was also awkward in that it was the older style with the inflate button on the left side (which the newer ones have it on the right side) it was a real pain to inflate with it like that, but newer ones wouldn't be.

I used 39lbs of weight, including ankle weights, and the weight of the STA/BP I feel as if I was at least 2-4lbs heavy as I sunk quite easily from the surface, but also in moving up and down 5-10 feet that I had to vent or add way more air than normal. I felt like my buoyancy control was worse than my first day in the pool. (though I never was really bad, I did bounce around too much for my liking) I used 37 later this weekend with my instructors BC's and actually felt a little light at the surface, I was floaty until 5' down at which point I was heavy. Seems like his BC's are 2lbs more buoyant than any BC I've used before as 35.5 has been enough to hold me down on 500psi on a jacket BC at 5-10feet under. Where as with his, I slowly sank until hitting 5feet and finnaly was weighted right (so I was a little light on the surface, but fine after 5')

Overall I guess it was a questionable experience. There were items I liked and disliked. I haven't rulled out a BP/Wing set up, however I'm not as sure I want one now. I will more than likely give it a nother opportunity, possibly with less weight, to see. But I really didn't like the yo-yo ride I was having, the loose waist strap (easily fixed with my own BP), and it was a little weird of a feeling. I'm sure with a properly fit rig, proper weighting, and a few dives that I would enjoy it FAR more than this dive.

It seems from previous readings on the board there have been others who didn't like the BP/Wing at first but later gave it another shot and did enjoy it far more. Maybe I will be the same way. I do also have a club member or 2 who offered to let me try thiers, with the DIR harness, maybe I will take them up on it now, so I can get a feel for a PROPER rig, and all.

Any oppinions, comments, etc. Greatly appreciated. As well as suggestions as to why I had the issues I did. Just for reference, I used 30lbs (15 per side) in the weight pockets, and I belive the ankles were like 2lbs total, plus the BP, and seperate STA (not a weighted one, so around 1-2lbs)

WillAbbott once bubbled...
I used 39lbs of weight, including ankle weights, and the weight of the STA/BP I feel as if I was at least 2-4lbs heavy

I think you put an extra - here, right? with 39 lbs you probably were about 24 lbs heavy!

WW

24lbs? I cant imagine I was THAT overweight. I guess I should mention I use a dry suit.

I also didn't mention I could deffinately feel the streamlinning effect. Though I didn't find it Dramatic, I could tell I was slipping through the water a little easier, and I still had junk, like lights just dangling of the chest D-rings.

I'll have to talk to my club mates and see if they still want to let me use one this comming weekend at the club dive, and have them help me make sure I'm weighted properly too.

WillAbbott once bubbled...
24lbs? I cant imagine I was THAT overweight. I guess I should mention I use a dry suit.

Maybe I overstated it a bit but 39 lbs seems excessive. A lot depends on factors like your physical size and body type, type of tanks(s), material of drysuit and drysuit underwear.

My drysuit is a TLS 350 and with either 100 or 200 wt underwear I use 12 lbs with double 80s, no weight with double 104s in salt water. I'm average size, 5' 10", 175.

WW

Trying an ill fitting, poorly setup Harness is a complete waste of time and effort, you need not have bothered.

See if you can get with someone who knows how to set one up correctly and try again, the results will speak for themselves

Sorry WW, I somewhat caught you're meaning. To be honest I'm not sure it is too much weight, but it could very well be. I know I'm about right with a Jacket BC, any less and I can't stay down on an empty tank, or get down for that matter. I used like 24lbs in fresh water with a 7mill 2 peice suit, and 34 with the dry suit on the same gear. 37seems to be perfect with a non overly buoyant BC.

Now, for what I am, and use. I use a USIA Aqualite (shell suit), with the USIA Exotherm II's right off USIA's site heres the description of the undergarment
"Exotherm II is a double-layer undergarment of 16 oz. fleece with a wind and water resistant outershell that provides unbelievable protection and comfort in or out of your dry suit."

I'm right about 6' 0" tall and run right around 160-165 currently (skin and bones)

I'm using a single Aluminum 80 tank.

Hope that helps more. I guess BP/Wings have a very different buoyancy characterisic? Is that right?

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
Trying an ill fitting, poorly setup Harness is a complete waste of time and effort, you need not have bothered.

See if you can get with someone who knows how to set one up correctly and try again, the results will speak for themselves

Agreed (after trying it) The actual only part that didn't fit right was the waist strap, and it was tight enough it didn't bother me once underwater. It was still enough to realize that for the most part I like the rig. But I know the guys who offered to let me use thiers know how to set one up, so I'm sure trying on of thiers will be a night and day difference. Not to mention the one I know is about my size already, so his may not even need much adjusting.

It would have fit right if it weren't for the weight pockets. The main straps were perfect, but the right weight pocket kept me from sinching the waist strap down enough.

while a wing does have different buoyancy characteristics, it sounds to me like you might be having a little air-trapping situation in either your BC or your suit. If I wear to guess I would think about 20 lbs would be a good starting point.

Be sure to do a proper buoyancy check. When you deflate your BC you should drop your right shoulder to make sure that the inflator is the highest point. Hold the button down til your eyes go under water. Also keep your ankles crossed while you do it.

are you "burping" your suit prior to getting in the water?

WW

Welcome to the wonderful world of bp/wings.It does sound like you are overweighted.

I am 6'2" 220lbs and exercise regular basis.

I dive cold water in a drysuit and wear a fairly thick thinsulate undergarment at the moment till i order my new 300gm version.

I use a fredt heavy plate(9lbs) an (8lb) channel weight and fredt 2 pc STA(2lbs) plus 8lbs on my weightbelt.I am hoping to shed a few more pounds with the new undergarment.I know a lot of seasoned divers that use about 5-10lbs less weight than i do with almost the same build and set up.

Do you use your drysuit for bouyancy or just to eliminate squeeze.Try to maintain about a 20ft squeeze in your drysuit.I dropped quite a bit of weight when i learned this on the board.

WreckWriter once bubbled...
while a wing does have different buoyancy characteristics, it sounds to me like you might be having a little air-trapping situation in either your BC or your suit. If I wear to guess I would think about 20 lbs would be a good starting point.

Be sure to do a proper buoyancy check. When you deflate your BC you should drop your right shoulder to make sure that the inflator is the highest point. Hold the button down til your eyes go under water. Also keep your ankles crossed while you do it.

are you "burping" your suit prior to getting in the water?

WW

I do "burp" my suit, but I usually end up putting air right back in once I hit the water just for the extra air and warmth. Mine seems to get a little cold on the surface swim if I just "burp" and then crack the neck to let it equalize to outside air pressure. So I usually fill it with a little air on the way out. When I goto descent I crank the exhaust valve full open, and squeeze the suit on the way down. About 5-10 feet down I close the exhaust valve back down some so that I can put air in it to remove the squeeze.

I do tend to keep my suit low on air, and get a little squeeze, it depends though, sometimes I do add more air, but only when weight is permitting. I use my BC as a BC, and my suit for squeeze removal... My instructor taught me to use the suit as a BC, but on my first dive after cert (before hitting the water) I decided to throw that out the window for many reasons. A dry suit full of a lot of air, isn't as comfortable, not to mention it doesn't vent as easily or rapidly (and mine even has a very high flowing exhaust valve)

I'll deffinately have to try it with less weight. I probalby was more like 10+lbs overweight, hearing from all of you guys now. Which is cool. Another reason to buy a BP/Wings... lose 10lbs of lead... I can Live with that :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom