Tricks for separating OPV from bladder flange assembly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moby_

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm trying to replace a broken bladder flange assembly but one side of the old assembly is stuck in the OPV. The OPV was screwed on the the assembly too tightly and it's just stuck. The problem is that it's difficult or impossible to get a good grip on the assembly side in order to remove it. I had the same problem with the elbow being too tightly screwed onto the assembly and completely destroyed the assembly trying to get it off with vice grips and STILL couldn't get it out! I might just have to replace everything but it's such a waste. Anyway, any advice or tricks to separate these pieces would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2107.jpeg
    IMG_2107.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 100
Ultrasonic and hot water to try and blast loose any salt or mineral deposits, freeze it, and try again?

Vinegar and warm water are my go-to for breaking up light corrosion.

i hope you are using the tool for that ? also +2 for the ultrasonic and vinigear for salt

i have drilled 2 small holes on either side then use a hole spanner .....after its apart then glue the holes shut with JB weld , this is a last resort ive used this procedure 4 or 5 times to save buying new

You could drill 2 small holes in the rim of the outer bladder, then use a pin spanner on it. Or file a small notch and attempt to tap it around with a screwdriver. I agree with others though, try a hot vinegar soak if you don't have an ultrasonic (I would make the vinegar 1:10 vinegar to water). Might loosen up any salt deposits from salt water wicking up into the threads.
Respectfully,
James

edit: Ninja'd by @abnfrog ! lol

Great, thanks everyone. I'll try the recommendations and then resort to buying a new OPV if necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom