Triangle Wrecks 20 August 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Burke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to put together a dive for 20 August.

The logistics would be pretty easy. We could meet up at Outer Banks Dive Center, ask the people at the shop, and go from there. http://www.obxdive.com/

Plan "A" is the Triangle Wrecks, although there are several others to choose from.

http://www.obxdive.com/NagsHead.htm http://www.obxdive.com/article4.htm

The guided dives meet up at 9:00. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me since I have never dived the triangles.

These guys are also an option: http://www.beachdive.com/ From reading the two websites, I would say it is likely beachdive is the outfit doing the beach dive guiding for obxdive. $30 per person seems to be the going rate for a guided beach dive.

Sounds like a winner to me. I can be ready for a dive on the 20th. So, unless something unusual happens, you can count me in.

I've done the triangle wrecks twice now with 2 other attempts which were foiled due to bad conditions. I'll gladly guide a dive for $0 per person! Yes you heard me right Zero dollars per person. But this is only a limited time offer, so call in the next 20 minutes and I'll throw in as much sea water as you can drink absolutely free!

Seriously guys, if we meet at the mile marker 7 pier (I'll get full details) we can go in there. The entry is the only really awkward part and the wrecks are buoyed. We could do the Triangle wrecks for one dive and the Huron for a second. Possibility of the Tug next to the Nags Head fishing pier for a 3rd. Also I've heard the Duck Pier is supposed to be good as well. It is a tough surface swim even though it is 100 yards.

Don Burke:
From reading the two websites, I would say it is likely beachdive is the outfit doing the beach dive guiding for obxdive.
You are correct.

When I do shore dives in Florida, I normally get my fins on and back into the water. Then as soon as I'm up to my chest, I drop down and head out. I can make up some buddy lines for us to use if the viz is really poor right where we drop down. That way we won't lose each other. There is a guy in Williamsburg that may want to go with us. I haven't heard back from him yet, so we'll see. My dive flag is in Florida, and although I am going down there this weekend and bring back some of my gear, I will not be bringing the dive flag back on Air Tran. So, I hope one of you two have a flag.

Steve, Thanks for the offer to guide us.

Dr.Steve is telling the truth. The guided dive thing is definitely a rip off if you can just get someone that is at all familiar with the area.

The wrecks are very well marked with buoys and the entry is a little tricky but nothing that having a guide will make any easier. The swim can be a little bit strenuous, but once again nothing that a paid guide will make any better.

We will be getting ready for our trip to Key Largo the next weekend or I would definitely jump in on this with both feet, but right now I will have to be tentative on it, to see if we can fit it into our plans. I would like to do this dive again though.

I'll check back

Paula

I will take Dr Steve up on his offer.

I have a dive float and flag.

If this dive is as good as people have been saying, this certainly will not be my last trip to the triangles.

Mile marker 7 pier it is. Does 9:00 AM make sense?

Mrs.Prages:
Dr.Steve is telling the truth. The guided dive thing is definitely a rip off if you can just get someone that is at all familiar with the area.

Awww you believe me! :wink:

Mrs.Prages:
We will be getting ready for our trip to Key Largo the next weekend or I would definitely jump in on this with both feet, but right now I will have to be tentative on it, to see if we can fit it into our plans. I would like to do this dive again though.
You or any of the NC crew would be welcome to join us (is that OK Don?)

Don Burke:
I will take Dr Steve up on his offer.

I have a dive float and flag.

If this dive is as good as people have been saying, this certainly will not be my last trip to the triangles.

Mile marker 7 pier it is. Does 9:00 AM make sense?

Most welcome to offer it! I want to dive and I'm too tight to pay anyone 30 dollars to guide me on a dive like this! 15 more gets me a trip to the tower reef!

Give me a day to check on the tides. But, I'd aim for 9-9.30 (you can guarantee I'll wake up later than I planned or something). That way you miss most of the traffic coming into the OBX area.

If the conditions are anything like they were last time it would be a liability to drag a dive flag around (plenty of current and wave motion)...I'd suggest we tie it off on the buoy. Buddy lines will be a good addition, but wreck reels again could be a liability in terms of getting tangled. The wrecks are small enough that it doesn't matter so much if we surface at the same point we went down.

Anyway, water temps were 72F a few months back. It was definitely colder on the bottom, so bring a thick and thin suit just in case.

Back
Top Bottom