Tres Pelicanos lunch location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that "recipe for DCS" is a bit dramatic. Even DAN is a wee bit uncertain about this. I would be interested to see real research on this.Where did you get the 4 hour advice from?

This is covered in most grade school DCS courses. The heating and minor blunt force style (not normally injurious) massaging techniques cause localized expansion of nitrogen within dermatological and vascular systems which may cause DCS. :)

This is covered in most grade school DCS courses. The heating and minor blunt force style (not normally injurious) massaging techniques cause localized expansion of nitrogen within dermatological and vascular systems which may cause DCS. :)

Apparently NOT the grade school course taught by DAN. Or is your course taught alongside reflexology and reiki? :wink:

Seriously, can you point to a paper confirming your "grade school" DCS course hypothesis?

I think that "recipe for DCS" is a bit dramatic. Even DAN is a wee bit uncertain about this. I would be interested to see real research on this.Where did you get the 4 hour advice from?

What is Decompression: Massage and Diving — Medical Dive Article — DAN | Divers Alert Network

From a DAN physician.

Regardless of whether it is a high or low level risk, it's not something we should be encouraging or promoting as a "safe" activity right after diving - same as exercise right after diving. Everyone's physiology on any given day is different - so to mitigate risk, just don't push the envelope.

From a DAN physician.

Regardless of whether it is a high or low level risk, it's not something we should be encouraging or promoting as a "safe" activity right after diving - same as exercise right after diving. Everyone's physiology on any given day is different - so to mitigate risk, just don't push the envelope.

Tridacna said: "Seriously, can you point to a paper confirming your "grade school" DCS course hypothesis?".

DAN stated that they had never seen a case of DCS related to massage and the real problem is that the massage can result in sore mussels which can look like the bends. That's the real problem with masage. Otherwise massage and dcs is just a fishwife tail.

From a DAN physician.

Where is @DocVikingo when you need him?

Wait, here he is...

Diving Doc: Massage After Scuba Diving — Is It Safe?

Last edited:
Tridacna said: "Seriously, can you point to a paper confirming your "grade school" DCS course hypothesis?".

DAN stated that they had never seen a case of DCS related to massage and the real problem is that the massage can result in sore mussels which can look like the bends. That's the real problem with masage. Otherwise massage and dcs is just a fishwife tail.
There is obviously some disagreement on this but there is enough on the DCS risk side that I will avoid massages right after diving. Not that it's anything I'm likely to do, anyway, but it doesn't have to be 100% proven for me to take a simple and easy precaution. DCS is not totally understood.

I think I'd rather have a margarita or two with my massage so it will just have to wait.

From your article
"Of far more concern than massage to DCS risk is laying down and taking a nap or placing a heavy load on knee or hip joints (e.g., climbing ladders back onto the boat with weights or tank on) immediately post-dive."

Well... crap. Nap is like my FAVORITE post dive activity.

There is obviously some disagreement on this but there is enough on the DCS risk side that I will avoid massages right after diving. Not that it's anything I'm likely to do, anyway, but it doesn't have to be 100% proven for me to take a simple and easy precaution. DCS is not totally understood.

You also going to avoid post-dive naps and climbing dive ladders after a dive?

Even greater risk than massage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom