Treat every dive like a tech dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see "contention that some safety topics and approaches are too advanced for serious discussion and consideration by anyone except tech divers" in those links. I see a few suggestions that "Basic Scuba Discussions" was perhaps the wrong forum for some of the discussion. There are a variety of forums in an attempt to organize a huge board. The "Basic Scuba Discussions" forum has special rules, created for good reasons which will become clear after you've been on the board for awhile. "Basic" is designated as a place to give new divers a friendly place where they're not overwhelmed or confused to start. (One could argue that thread, as well as this one, kind of fail on that count.) Note that there is also "Advanced Scuba Discussions", which isn't necessarily all that advanced (kinda like AOW :) and isn't tech.

In my opinion, "tech" is a mindset, an approach to diving where you think about your dive ahead of time, you foresee and plan for likely problems.

If that's the definition of "tech", I've been a "tech" diver since my first post-OW dive. And if that was the essence of the OP, I agree, too.

I didn't read it that way. I've seen and talked to too many who has become infatuated with the solutions required for technical diving, i.e. diving with a hard or soft overhead, and believed that less complex dives within NDLs require the same solutions. That may have colored my interpretation.

What I am suggesting is having the mindset that you should try to solve problems except OOA under water instead of first resorting to bailing out to the surface. I've seen a number of [probably poorly trained] OW divers who get their mask flooded or their reg kicked out of their mouth and their first thought (apparently) was to bolt for the surface. Yes, being cold is not something that can be handled U/W, nor a complete loss of the mask. Equipment failures? Depends on the failure. Loss of a computer shouldn't be a problem if you have planned the dive and still have a watch (which you obviously remembered to set properly upon entering the water).

Where exactly did I ever suggest that "bailing to the surface" should be the first, last and only response to any problem on any dive?

When did proper planning and execution become an exclusive part of tech diving and not *all* diving?

Direct ascent to the surface is a resource available to the Recreational diver and not often to the Technical Diver.

It's just silly to not plan any dive around the resources available.

The fact remains the OP's question centered on gear, and it's a poor choice to over burden any diver with gear not vital to the circumstances.

Tobin

The fact remains the OP's question centered on gear, and it's a poor choice to over burden any diver with gear not vital to the circumstances.

Tobin

I don't see that. He mentioned equipment in general terms, but he certainly didn't center on gear. The only piece of equipment that he mentioned was a backup regulator (I'm guessing that he meant a backup second stage). Hardly an unusual pice of rec gear.

I'll bet that the majority of recreational divers in the world consider a BP/W to be technical gear (at least until we correct them here) - but that's sort of the same basic premise. It's just a best practices thing, that is good for many sorts of divers. There shouldn't be a line between tech thinking and rec thinking, there should be just good dive planning, appropriate for the dive being contemplated.

It's already been mentioned, but look up what the definition of tech diving is. You'll find overhead environment, deep or prolonged diving that requires decompression obligations having to be satisfied. Except for cave or wreck penetration diving most of what technical diving is "is extensive gas planning". Planning that far exceeds any recreational dive. And if you found yourself in a cave, wreck or with a deco obligation that you're not trained for, well then you're a pretty crappy diver.

Tech means a lot more that just what you have stated. It is thinking technical about every dive. Bringing the right equipment, the right gas, the right plan, etc. Every one of the dive situations you stated above, you can do with a single Al80 and rec gear. That is why so many have died doing so. Weather it was a trust me dive or what something a diver wanted to do it has nothing to with tech. thinking.

I don't see that. He mentioned equipment in general terms, but he certainly didn't center on gear. The only piece of equipment that he mentioned was a backup regulator (I'm guessing that he meant a backup second stage). Hardly an unusual pice of rec gear.

Most of the equipment, training, and practices

A huge percentage of technical training and practices is based on understanding and mastery of the added equipment.

At least that's my take.

Perhaps I jumped to conclusions, but remember our OP is the same self proclaimed newbie that's pondering using doubles from the start due to their "added" safety. :wink:

Tobin

Tech means a lot more that just what you have stated. It is thinking technical about every dive. Bringing the right equipment, the right gas, the right plan, etc. Every one of the dive situations you stated above, you can do with a single Al80 and rec gear. That is why so many have died doing so. Weather it was a trust me dive or what something a diver wanted to do it has nothing to with tech. thinking.

Everything you stated should be done at any level of diving. Sorry, but I'm not seeing the difference. One of the biggest killers in technical diving is breathing the wrong gas. Which goes back to what is technical diving? Mostly gas planning and execution. Just look at what the technical agencies offer for courses. Setting cave and wreck diving aside, which would mostly entail gear, technique and gas management, the majority of your time spent on technical training is about gas.

Give me one really good example of a problem that a well trained rec diver could encounter during a basic open water dive that only a tec diver would know how to handle due to a technical course?

I'll also add that while a tec diver may have a certification stating such, that doesn't mean they're a better diver than an experienced rec diver. The common consensus is experience reins supreme. Why, because the guy who has 5,000 dives has likely experienced and solved many problems during his diving career where it's possible to have a "certified" tec diver with a lot fewer dives that hasn't. Even though he may hold a number of certifications. I think my point can be further backed when we bring rebreathers into the discussion. Note, that to be certified on a rebreather it's not just based on classroom work and exams, but you have to achieve a designated amount of time, (experience) on the machine prior to being certified, not just diving one.

I guess my point is, tec or rec the guy who has more experience is likely the safer diver or can get himself out of a jam. So what do we do? Dive more of course. :)

How about instead of promoting a "tech diving" mindset, we promote a "proper dive planning" mindset for recreational dives. As has been pointed out in this thread, there are many different types of recreational dives that require different dive planning, gear selection, and have different risks. When I am planning for a purely recreational type of dive, like a week in Little Cayman, my pre-dive routine is much different than a 180' rebreather dive. I don't treat a 75' open circuit reef dive the same as I treat a 75' rebreather dive. Why? The 2 dives are very different, the risks are different, the method of conducting the dives are different, and the equipment is very different.

There is a reason tech programs and instructors require a certain number of rec dives.

My 2 pennies worth.

Forget about this 'marketing' distinction between rec and tec. Diving is about being configured (and trained) for the dive being undertaken.

There is a thought that scuba has got too safe those seeking a thrill are not interested and doing other sports. In other words diving has lost its appeal because it's too safe.

Back
Top Bottom