Travis Viz ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33:
Any indications that this nasty mudhole is starting to clear up at depths below 100' ??

Dude,,, head to Broken Bow in SE Ok.,,,below 80' its now 25' vis.....at 111ffw/50f.

That's a long drive for someone in Austin.

We were there weekend before last and we haven't noticed any changes in the viz at depth.

loosebits:
That's a long drive for someone in Austin.

We were there weekend before last and we haven't noticed any changes in the viz at depth.

It is a bit of a drive from Austin,,,but would be differnt and better diving by far,,,worth the trip and a nights stay. I to enjoy Travis,,,but want to explore this new watering hole a bit more this summer.

Well, I personally would rather stay on this side of the Red River... But Travis, from what I've been told, is slightly improved from the last time I dove, which should land it about 5' viz... last time I went out (8 days ago) we landed 106 and it opened up to 5 feet. Above it was 2-3 foot viz. I'll be diving the same profile tomorrow, so I'll be able to tell you what it looks like around 100'. Hopefully I can get a dive in with you sometime, Ian.

Kevin

So I went yesterday, and the viz seems to have settled a bit. It was better up top (between 5'-8') until around 30, then you hit the thermalcline, which puts viz at around 8" until you pass through, then it goes back to 5'. Around there, my LP inflator button starting leaking pretty considerably, so I thumbed the dive, but it looks as if its cleared up a bit in the last week.

Good Evening Swampers,

I haven't had the priveledge of diving with you yet, but hope to do so soon.

Let me preface this post with a qualifier: I have a stupid question.

Most of my diving has been limited to ASP, CSSP, and a dozen or so blue water dives. I've never dove lakes, and am curious...what the heck is there to see at 100ft. with 5ft. viz? I'd be so consumed with trying not to lose my buddy, I doubt it would be any fun.

Anyway, there's my question.

Later swampers.

BIGG_BUDD:
Good Evening Swampers,
I've never dove lakes, and am curious...what the heck is there to see at 100ft. with 5ft. viz? I'd be so consumed with trying not to lose my buddy, I doubt it would be any fun.

Anyway, there's my question.

Later swampers.

No worries it is not a stupid question. We Swampers do not belive in stupid questions. I have not been down there much but I will tell you what I saw. Trees, rocks, mud plains, and that is about it. I did here a siren or two calling for me to go deeper but outside of that nothing. No fish, no plants, no light, except your dive light. So can you see why it is such a slice of heaven? Travis Vis is suppose to open up down deep and it does not seem to have developed its windex layer so far this year. Hope this helps

Oh yea and Big Bud if you even want to hit CSSP jsut let me know when and where. I am pretty sure I can make you a member of the Swamp divers. All I need is a gator as mine has passed away but I still have the water mocassin and my spool of Mono-filiment. LOL

BIGG_BUDD:
Most of my diving has been limited to ASP, CSSP, and a dozen or so blue water dives. I've never dove lakes, and am curious...what the heck is there to see at 100ft. with 5ft. viz? I'd be so consumed with trying not to lose my buddy, I doubt it would be any fun

Later swampers.

Either you are one of us and you understand or you are not and you dont. Oh,sorry,that ones already been taken !

Seriously though,later in the year after the thermocline has been established for a long time and the layers in the lake have not mixed for months all the dissolved oxygen at depth gets used up. The floating algae/crud dies off and the vis can become if not spectacular then at least pretty damn good. Maybe 30 feet?

At Windy Point you will find large trees,maybe 30 feet high with trunks that are a foot in diameter.It is pretty surreal swimming through these. On a smaller scale we noticed last year that the silt had a hexagonal,honeycomb type structure on its surface. Dont know if it was bacterial in origin or what but it was interesting.

It is a cold,dark alien place. And you get away from the open water classes as well:D

Back
Top Bottom