Travis Conditions May 15th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PvilleStang

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So my buddy and I went and dove off of Cove side at Mansfield. We went and found the large gratto and then the "wave" about 10 minutes west of it. From 0-25 was fairly good vis (8-12 feet) then it got nice and cloudy, but broke through around 55 (where the thermocline starts to kick in). From there down to at least 95 it was a good 20'+ viz. I figure the viz will improve later on this week, since it was pretty windy today (white caps on the lake when we got there).

K.

Kinda brutal walk down, but I like diving the cove. Good to hear you had good vis. Seems everytime I go there the vis is better on the dam side.
What is the "Wave"?

There's a rock formation right towards the top of the wall (at 65' currently) that looks like you're swimming through a barrelling wave. Its pretty neat. There's also a few good overhangs on the swim out.

I think I know what your talking about-long deep grotto, seems to go on forever. I didn't know it had a name.

By large grotto, do you mean the one with enough head room for about four divers to put their heads into the air pocket and have a conversation? We filled it with air a few weeks ago. Someone left a bunch of action figures and toys in that grotto. Funny.

I don't know what you mean by the wave. Where is it in relation to a reference point?

The only other grottos big enough to fill with air and talk in that I have personally verified are Windy Point Public, Starns Island and this one off the cove at Mansfield. Seen any others?

Yeah, that's the gratto I'm talking about, off the cove with the little skeleton action figure down there. Kick about 10 minutes east (away from the cove) and you should find the "wave". It honestly looks like a tunnel with a quarter of it cut off, so it looks like a barrelling wave. It doesn't really hold air, its just a cool swim through. And if you're really good and need some cave training, here's my advice: take some OW divers down there, lead them through the wave, then try to do it yourself backwards. Good contact drill.

PvilleStang:
So my buddy and I went and dove off of Cove side at Mansfield. We went and found the large gratto and then the "wave" about 10 minutes west of it. From 0-25 was fairly good vis (8-12 feet) then it got nice and cloudy, but broke through around 55 (where the thermocline starts to kick in). From there down to at least 95 it was a good 20'+ viz. I figure the viz will improve later on this week, since it was pretty windy today (white caps on the lake when we got there).

K.

Thanks for the vis report.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom