Traverse City Dive Sites shore dives middle of July. ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been on all those wrecks many times over the years but it's been awhile so i'm not sure they are marked at all anymore. SN would know.

I don't think the barge or double ender were ever marked in an organized way. Maybe individual divers marked them from time to time with a Tide jug or something but blow boater were always cutting any double ender marker because it was close to one of their race markers on that side of the bay. The Tramp used to get marked but honestly it's not much to see. Nicer than the wreck off elmwood park but not much in my opinion.

IMO the best wreck in the Bays is the AJ Rogers. It's been torn up by ice pretty bad over the years, is in several pieces and/or pieces-parts but is still interesting IMO. Problem is, it's out past the peninsula point, with no protection from the peninsula. 15+ miles from the base of the peninsula, less if you put in at Bowers Harbor or Suttons Bay. I wouldn't trust a pontoon rental out there unless you have a VERY good weather report. T-storms can fire up quick on lake michigan and it does rock and roll out there.

Another good shore dive if you haven't done it is the old power plant intakes down by the open space. It's been years since i've dove it but lots of life around large pipes and intake cribs. Don't think they took them out when the power plant was demo'd. SN can direct you to that also.

HI Reeftank. I dove up there last week.
the 2 wrecks in Lake Charelvoix. are great dives.
in west bay Traverse city. the tramp and elmwood were great dives. the Barge not so much.
If you are in Rand Rapids you shoud check out Scuba Obsessed pod cast and web site. they are a local group to the west side of the state and are veryy active. Thursday nights they have a live podcast and online chat room. let them know I sent you if you join in.
Scuba Obsessed - netcast for passionate scuba diving enthusiasts

Michigan UnderWater Divers Club

Cheers SteveP

Thanks Steve. I'll have to find the tramp and elmwood. I'm now living in Traverse so I'm looking for diving up here. I'm part of the maritime program so I've been living on the west bay the last 2 weeks. I'm exicited to do a lot more diving than I was before!

I was up in traverse city over labor day and got in 4 nice shore dives. As mentioned the elmwood wreck was pretty easy to find and did a separate dive along the Marina breakwall. Could easily do both in one dive but i had two tanks to burn. Also did the"wood reef" off clinch park and the power plant pipes off the beach downtown by the Marina. Both good dives with lots of fish hanging around. Water was nice, about 68 ° down to 30-40 ft.

Hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet so I pulled out my old notes for others to reference. Hope it's right.
Tramp. 44.51.04 85.36.11
double ender. 44.46.39. 85.36.06
barge 44.47.05. 85.37.86

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom