Travelling with Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90:
I guess in Egypt it is the same as in many other not so overdeveloped countries. They just fill it and don't care any standards/exam/hydros.
Just saw here in Thailand tanks in use with the sticker for the next check for 1995.
Noone seems to have a problem with that sticker..... If there is an accident than it was bad luck.

I wouldn't go that far. The dive shop I contacted in Dahab made it clear that they expect to see a valid sticker but aside from that I don't know how strict they are.

But there's something I still don't understand. They told they don't have the equipment to fill the tanks beyond 200 bars! Then I talked to a dive shop here in Vancouver and he told me almost any compressor would do 232 bars. Does anyone know which is more accurate. Does it really take high end compressor to fill up to 232?

That's exactly what a friend did. He went to dive in Egypt (Red Sea) for thee weeks. Bought two new tanks there, re-sold back to shop. Lost $40 on each. Cheaper than shipping.

Dave
DDHF

elmagnoon:
I wouldn't go that far. The dive shop I contacted in Dahab made it clear that they expect to see a valid sticker but aside from that I don't know how strict they are.

But there's something I still don't understand. They told they don't have the equipment to fill the tanks beyond 200 bars! Then I talked to a dive shop here in Vancouver and he told me almost any compressor would do 232 bars. Does anyone know which is more accurate. Does it really take high end compressor to fill up to 232?

I saw here one shop filling without gauge, they had just a strange device on which a spring loaded part pop out when they reach 200 bar. (in fact they filled between 170-240 bar :11:)
Or they have an automatic shut down at 200 bar? And had a hard time adjust it, so they don't want to change it?
So maybe the measuring or the training of the staff is the reason not the compressor itself.

Back
Top Bottom