Travelling with Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elmagnoon

Contributor
Reaction score
I have two E130 high pressure steel tanks that I would like to take with me to Egypt and leave there. I'm considering taking them with me on my next flight using KLM.
Any recommendations on how to pack them or other helpful informations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If you have enough lead time I would seriously consider shipping them in advance as freight. The extra baggage fees will kill you.

Flatliner
aka Robert

Flatliner:
If you have enough lead time I would seriously consider shipping them in advance as freight. The extra baggage fees will kill you.

Flatliner
aka Robert

Hi Robert, thanks for your reply. I am concerned they would get damaged/lost in shipping. I also priced them with KLM and was quoted a price of C$150.00/tank which I find reasonable.

kal

I have another question. I talked to a friend who suggested that dive shops in Egypt may refuse to fill my "North American" tanks. I guess the tanks are stamped with something indication they're certified for us in North America. Any truth to that?

Yup do a search ... most countries have their own standards. A club might be more willing to fill them than a resort.

I have another question. I talked to a friend who suggested that dive shops in Egypt may refuse to fill my "North American" tanks. I guess the tanks are stamped with something indication they're certified for us in North America. Any truth to that?

Yep, just learned that the hard way bringing european tanks to US. Sell them before you leave if you're staying there or leave them for when you return. You'd be better off getting tanks in Egypt then sell them when you leave there, as long as you treat them well they shouldn't lose too much value.

From what I've heard, North American tanks are really only good in the US, Caribbean and Mexico, perhaps South America as well. Europe and other countries across the pond use completely different standards for tank pressures, certifications, etc., and in general, you can't use tanks from side over there, and vice versa.

I can add for future notes that North American Tanks cannot be used here in Australia, unless you go thorough a lengthy exam/test/hydro. The tanks here get Hydro every year. Can you rent tanks where you are going in Eygpt?

I checked with a few dive shop in Sharm and Dahab and all are happy to fill my tanks. They actually use a lot of north American tanks. But all the rest is true, North American tanks can not be used in Europe and vice versa. The same applies to Australia.

I checked for price and availability and decided to to take my tanks with me and leave them there.

elmagnoon:
I checked with a few dive shop in Sharm and Dahab and all are happy to fill my tanks. They actually use a lot of north American tanks. But all the rest is true, North American tanks can not be used in Europe and vice versa. The same applies to Australia.

I checked for price and availability and decided to to take my tanks with me and leave them there.

I guess in Egypt it is the same as in many other not so overdeveloped countries. They just fill it and don't care any standards/exam/hydros.
Just saw here in Thailand tanks in use with the sticker for the next check for 1995.
Noone seems to have a problem with that sticker..... If there is an accident than it was bad luck.

Back
Top Bottom