Travelling With Aluminum U/W Noisemaker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ontdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone ever had any airport security issues travelling with an aluminum u/w noisemaker (aka shaker) in either checked or carry on luggage? I have a Dive Alert "quacker" but find that the sound doesn't carry as well as the noisemaker.

No, but personally, I would suggest to TSA that they confiscate all of the above and jail the offender. ;-)

I dive to get some peace and quiet and dislike these things. Stick with your buddy and communicate visually and you'll have one less trinket to carry around.

Failing that, check the thing. It will likely show up as a small pipe bomb in the x-rays and may be missing when you arrive at your destination, but at least you'll have the answer to your question.

Those quackers and sirens always startle me when someone uses them.

What was that skinny Frenchman named Cousteau first book?

As I recall it was "The Silent World.....Published in 1953 , 63 years of silence

And lets keep it that way...Silent

Leave your noise maker at home

Play with your toy in a swimming pool

sdm

Try other means of UW communications ....The original UW hand communication system was developed in 1956 in the David Star Jordan pool in far off Long Beach, California by a pioneering diving club called the Sea Sabres

you might want to learn a little history ...If so google " www.portagequarry.com ; Legends of Diving Sea Sabres System"

s

Last edited:
One advantage of getting older is I've lost my high-frequency hearing, so I can't hear those noisemakers. Thank God.

Stay home....

I agree with most of the above posters. If you absolutely feel like you need to carry a noisemaker, a bolt snap against a tank works.

I have traveled with a noisemaker a number of times and never had a problem. I have discovered that they are very annoying to some divers, however, so I don't use one anymore.

Our noisemaker in the 1950's and 60's was to bang you knife on the side of your steel tank to get your buddies attention. Nothing else was needed.

Back
Top Bottom