Travelling with a pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjames

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
After having read some of the threads in this group, I hesitate to post here, but I'm curious if anybody has had any experience travelling with a pony rig. I'm doing mostly shallow diving (less than 100 ft.) and am usually shooting video. My wife who is my dive buddy usually has to put up with me getting focused on a ribbon eel or harlequin shrimp and not paying attention to her. As such I want to get redundant air supply for both of us. The problem is we live in Texas and have to fly to wherever we go. In addition, we travel with 2 full sets of gear, video housing, sometimes rebreather, and soon a still housing as well, so we require 2 pack mules to get us away from the airport. I've already got a couple of extra regs, so I only need the bottles and was thinking about getting 2 30 cu. ft. tanks with the steel tank connnectors. Any advice on travelling with this rig or better ideas?

BTW, I know one option is to take less crap, but when you only get to go diving a couple times a year, its really hard to not get the most out of it.

Thanks

30's are too big. Try 20's or even 13's. Once you switch to the pony the dive should be over anyway. As long as you're doing no-deco dives the smaller bottles work and they pack easily. Don't get a spare air - it is way too small.

Thanks folks, the referenced threads were very helpful. I'll call Continental, thats who i usually fly first and get them to give me a written policy on tanks before i fly. Interestingly, coming back from Cozumel a month ago, the Cozumel airport security made me take the batteries out of all my dive lights. I wonder how they'll deal with tanks :)

cjames:
Thanks folks, the referenced threads were very helpful. I'll call Continental, thats who i usually fly first and get them to give me a written policy on tanks before i fly. Interestingly, coming back from Cozumel a month ago, the Cozumel airport security made me take the batteries out of all my dive lights. I wonder how they'll deal with tanks :)

I don't believe the problem is Continental. The problem is TSA. And they hold the trump cards. It seems that TSA usually lets a pony go in checked luggage. Roakey's reference is the first I have seen reported wheree it was not permitted.

I've flown with a pony 4 times to MEX since 9/11 with no problem in the US. Coz has looked at my pony every time with no problem as long as the valve is out.

I think I'll just practice better buddy skills in the future until TSA policy is changed.

cjames,
I've been looking into this too recently. One thing I don't remember seeing on the several SB threads around this question is that the TSA list of prohibited items (http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=177) notes that the FAA regulates "dangerous" items, and the FAA says (http://asi.faa.gov/these.asp) "do not pack in luggage or carry on board pressure containers: Spray cans, butane fuel, scuba tanks, propane tanks, CO2 cartridges, self-inflating rafts." No distinction of full/empty is made that I could find.

cjames:
After having read some of the threads in this group, I hesitate to post here, but I'm curious if anybody has had any experience travelling with a pony rig. I'm doing mostly shallow diving (less than 100 ft.) and am usually shooting video. My wife who is my dive buddy usually has to put up with me getting focused on a ribbon eel or harlequin shrimp and not paying attention to her. As such I want to get redundant air supply for both of us. The problem is we live in Texas and have to fly to wherever we go. In addition, we travel with 2 full sets of gear, video housing, sometimes rebreather, and soon a still housing as well, so we require 2 pack mules to get us away from the airport. I've already got a couple of extra regs, so I only need the bottles and was thinking about getting 2 30 cu. ft. tanks with the steel tank connnectors. Any advice on travelling with this rig or better ideas?

BTW, I know one option is to take less crap, but when you only get to go diving a couple times a year, its really hard to not get the most out of it.

Thanks

Our exploration team flies all the time with small rebreather cylinders. Just take out the valve when you pack the cylinder into your check in baggage. They will want to look in the cylinder, so maybe have a small pen light handy.

Air transportation regulations Here's another thread....

You know Curt I was wondering about re-breathers... makes me sort of wonder about pony bottles then. If you consider it part of your standard (and necessary) equipment -- is there room for argument for you to be allowed to take it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom