Travelling + Safety in Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Washy

Reaction score
After hearing all the great things about Roatan, my wife and I are planning to detour our round-the-world trip to Honduras. I know that some of the cities can be dodgy after dark, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips/experience with travel in Honduras and out to the islands or whether you have any advice on personal safety etc.

Thanks,

Washy.

Roatan is quite safe, so taking the usual precautions leaves little to be concerned about.

If you're coming through Tegucigalpa, however, or San Pedro Sula to a lesser extent, I wouldn't wander far from the airport, especially not at night. You're perfectly safe in the airport given routine travel precautions. If you're staying overnight, book at a recognized hotel and follow their recommendations regarding safety.

Do have fun.

DocVikingo

the islands are ok. but like doc said the mainland is different. i spent many months down there on my sailboat and had a few unsettling moments but that was in the late 80s. the hurricane really hurt alot of folks and they need to eat too. you have to watch where you go on the mainland with that said i would not walk around coxen hole at night unless you were looking for trouble. during the day no problems. basically be smart and do not make yourself a target.as for many places around the world also.

Well, you mentioned Roatan, and then you mentioned Honduras - which are somewhat different. Like Texas is part of the U.S., but certainly different.

Roatan has a more British background, and as I recall from my reading, the Spanish speaking culture didn't go there much until tourism changed the island in many ways. But even today, with mainlanders going to Roatan for work and all, the island is still quite different from the mainland. (Been to Roatan a couple of times, always avoided the mainland.)

Our State Dept issues advisories, but you may find your own government's more acceptable. Here's what your's says about the country:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front...7029390590&a=KCountryAdvice&aid=1013618386001 where you will find links to your government's medical advisories. Our CDC suggest Malaria preventatives on Roatan, but especially recommends it on the mainland.

hope this helps some, don

I wouldn't pass up a chance to dive in the Bay Islands because of safety concerns. Like Doc V mentioned, SPS and Tegucigalpa after dark are not recommended for someone with as much resource as you among people that poor. Roatan and the other Bay Islands are a lot different. You can safely wander around (w/o carrying all your wad with you) after dark to restaurants, bars, etc.

I'd give a thought to the other Bay Islands as well, especially if you're gonna be there for more than a week. Try Utila, Guanaja or Cayos Cochinos. The latter is surely one of the safest spots from a personal safety issue - there being no town there at all. Same deal with any all inclusive resort. Go and have a great time.
=Terry

I agree with all of the above and would offer one more bit of experience. I've spent time in La Ceiba and did not have any trouble. I would stay on the main streets at night, and cabs are plentiful @ 10-12 lempiras per ride.

In the cities and the mainland pretty much I would pick another sightseeing trip. The organized trips to the archeological sites are still okay, but in all things, mit would depend upon your attitude, capabilities, and personal risk assessments.

On the Bay Islands, the only issues that I would really concern myself with would be on Roatan. The other islands have an issue of compactness of population center that pretty well limits many exposures. Roatan allows you the possibility of getting pretty far afield.

To that point- the vast majority of visitors to Roatan go to resorts to dive (at least in this board). I encourage them to stay at the resorts in the evening party hours. Maybe it's because I have no toilerance for hung-over divers, or maybe it's just cause I don't want to have to help them out of a jam.

Personal crime to the visitor has increased for the unwary. Why any visitor inists on driving their own car there and having to deal with the (RARE!!!) occasions of banditos, much less quirky driving laws and loiability concerns- you got me.

So I speak of Roatan- Stay in a touristy area. If you must drink, try not to be a "soft target".

Don't fear, but don't be so innocent that you have no fear.

Back
Top Bottom