Travelling in Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malaysia-Island --

I enjoyed your writeups on Payar Island -- but was also surprised that you had great diving in Bali -- my experience was that it wasn't fantastic relative to the other options in Indonesia.

Doing a little more reading, I see that the islands Pulau Payar, Pulau Lembu, Pulau Segantang and Pulau Kaca are about 20 nm south of Langkawi. Are those then where dive operators from Penang typically go for a day trip?

localdivah:
I have one totally free day on my own in Penang, while on a business trip. My initial research showed that my most likely bet for diving will be Langkawi. I also came across East Marine Divers, which will do a package for me with equipment, pickup, etc. for RM 320. Seems a bit steep given the cost of living the last time I was in Penang, but as long as I am not being given the rich tourist price (which, relatively speaking, I guess I am), I'm ok with it. But I've also worked as a divemaster in Asia and Latin America, so don't need any pampering.
I dived Payar Island from Langkawi and it cost me about RM280 with East Marine. Penang is a wee bit further, hence I think RM320 is what you would expect.

The costly dive is because of the distance. Plus Payar is the only diveable island in the west coast of Malaysia. It's up to you to take up their offer or not.

localdivah:
Are there any good options besides Langkawi for a day trip? Any other shops I should check out besides East Marine? Any resources on type of conditions to expect? I had always wanted to check out the muck diving in Sipadan -- will this be similar at all?
I think there is no other dive operator for this one. Langkawi Coral operator actually sends divers to East Marine as well. Some sort of agreement they are making between operators.

And I'm not sure what is the relation with Sipadan, in term of distance for day-trip, it's impossible.

localdivah:
Malaysia-Island --

I enjoyed your writeups on Payar Island -- but was also surprised that you had great diving in Bali -- my experience was that it wasn't fantastic relative to the other options in Indonesia.
Glad you like it, thanks! About Bali, I've known Menjangan since 2 yrs ago when a friend went snorkeling there (yes, snorkeling!) and came up with gorgonian sea fan photos. I think Menjangan diving is different than the rest of Bali, perhaps due to its seclusion. A friend got back from Tulamben and Kubu, and I wasn't too thrilled with his photos.

localdivah:
Doing a little more reading, I see that the islands Pulau Payar, Pulau Lembu, Pulau Segantang and Pulau Kaca are about 20 nm south of Langkawi. Are those then where dive operators from Penang typically go for a day trip?
You're correct, the Payar Marine Park consists of these 4 islands. Snorkeling trips (a tourist trap I must say) only go to Payar Island, but dive trips will vary on which day they choose to dive. I would say diving in Payar archipelago could be decent provided the visibility is good.

Good luck with your search.

I have dived with two different ops from Langkawi, and I can definitely recommend Pro Dive Langkawi.

Pro Dive Langkawi
Lot 974, Pantai Cenang
Langkawi Kedah 07000
Malaysia
Phone Number: (60) 4-9553739
Fax Number: (60) 4-9553475
Email: prdive@pc.jaring.my

Since I was last there, though, a new scuba option is available from Langkawi to the Thai islands in the Tarutao Marine Park/Butang Islands, and I'm glad that this thread came up since it presents an opportunity to find out more about this option. I've heard really good things about diving Tarutao. Here's the URL of a (new?) dive op called Langkawi Diving and Sport. They go to Butang out of Langkawi on day trips. Does anybody have direct experience with them?
http://butang-islands.com/

Wow Quero, interesting link! I enjoyed the photos from the website. Certainly a place to check out if I go to Langkawi again.

The Thai islands north of Langkawi are usually much pristine because lack of tourist and the open sea of Andaman (as opposed to Straits of Malacca in Langkawi).

Anyway, 2 dives for RM590, I have to think about it. A bit high for my budget.

Thanks everyone for the details on Malaysia, unfortunately my trip got rushed and I only got to spend 18 hours in KL. After spending 3 days in Mumbai and Chennai I found KL to be one of the most beautiful cities in the world, even the November monsoon seemed to cleanse the landscape to a sparkling sheen.

So now I'm bitten and I have to get back. What's the best time of year for an all-around trip? Is it possible and/or advisable to try and dive from Penang and then travel to Borneo for some dives or should I plan to do one side at a time?

CD_in_Chitown:
After spending 3 days in Mumbai and Chennai I found KL to be one of the most beautiful cities in the world, even the November monsoon seemed to cleanse the landscape to a sparkling sheen.
Hmm, interesting observation on KL nonetheless, LOL.

CD_in_Chitown:
So now I'm bitten and I have to get back. What's the best time of year for an all-around trip? Is it possible and/or advisable to try and dive from Penang and then travel to Borneo for some dives or should I plan to do one side at a time?
Possible to visit Penang (dive) then Borneo if you have one week. Otherwise it'll be too rushy for you. Honestly ppl don't go to Penang particularly for diving purpose, most ppl have conference or meeting at the "silicone valley" or something, then slip in some tours in between. Borneo is strictly for diving and nature, IMHO.

CD_in_Chitown:
Thanks everyone for the details on Malaysia, unfortunately my trip got rushed and I only got to spend 18 hours in KL. After spending 3 days in Mumbai and Chennai I found KL to be one of the most beautiful cities in the world, even the November monsoon seemed to cleanse the landscape to a sparkling sheen.

The best diving on Peninsular Malaysia is off the east-coast islands (Perhentians, Redang, Tenggol). The best time of year to visit these islands is just beginning now, and will last into October, perhaps up to November. And of course, you can visit Sipadan/Mabul/Kapalai off Borneo year round. So my advice for the best time for an all-round Malaysia trip would be March to November.

I stand by my opinion that the diving off the west coast of Malaysia (Penang and Langkawi) is only worthwhile if you are suffering from withdrawal syptoms from having been out of the water for a long time. (This is even true during the "season" from November to March.) It is certainly not worthy of a dedicated dive trip from the US.

If you visit the region from November to March, go to the Andaman coast of Thailand or to Borneo, or both.

So--:umnik:
March to November: East-coast Malaysia (Perhentians/Redang/Tenggol) + Sipadan
November to March: Sipadan + Thailand (Andaman coast)

Just back from my business trip to Penang. I was signed up to dive with Langkawi Coral, who does most of the "contract" business with the hotels. They were asking 330 RM (~90 USD at the current exchange rate). I found that they did not include a wetsuit, and when I tried to get more info about current water temps and dive conditions, found myself talking to a non-diver who insisted that I did not need a wetsuit.

Instead, I found a different dive outfit -- East Marine divers -- and found that not only were they better priced, at 260 RM for all equipment (decent stuff), ferries, hotel pickup, and lunch, they were also very organized and well-run. Ended up diving in a group with 2 other divers as opposed to the hordes of snorkelers going with Langkawi Coral. I highly recommend them.

I was looking for macro life and was not disappointed -- cleaner shrimp, tiny "hunter" crabs, a ghost pipefish, even a 1/2" seahorse. For those who like larger stuff, there was also sea turtles, greytip sharks, meter long barracudas, herds of groupers, morey eels, and spotted eagle rays. Coral was quite healthy at the southern tip of Pulau Payar, where we were diving, and the variety was better than I expected. I was picked up at 8am, and back by 5:30pm. Great way to break up a business trip.

Good for you local divah. For would-be visitors, the only outfit to dive with is East Marine. I almost booked with Langkawi Coral until I found out about the wet suit thingy. Plus, Langkawi Coral caters more for the snorkelers who come by the dozen, they couldn't give a jack about fellow divers needing wet suit. I dived with East Marine for RM280. I guess the difference was minimal and the service was outstanding.

Indeed, the southern point of Payar has really some nice and colorful corals. I still find that surprisingly. I did not see any sea turtles though, but the groupers were huge. Not to mention the sharks :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom