Travelling in Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CD_in_Chitown

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to be in Kuala Lumpur in November and am wondering what are the options for stretching a few extra days onto a business trip, is there diving near there in Malaysia or should I look at flying to Thailand? etc, any and all advice is appreciated. Is there any shorediving around KL? What about operators and what are the sights to see from a boat? And what are the land transportation options, how pricey is car rental, how does the traffic around KL compare to Seoul?

Can you stay a week? If so, go to Borneo and have a blast. Most of the diving on the peninsula is on the east coast but I think it's really winding down in the fall because of the monsoon. If you're short on time, you might want to flight up to do the Andaman coast of Thailand.

These guys are probably your cheapest option for regional flights. And they're very cheap: http://www.airasia.com/index.htm

Hope this helps.

Kuala Lumpur is surrounded by land, no shore diving there.

The closest islands are Pulau Pangkor, north of Kuala Lumpur. You could ask some local operator if anything can be arranged.

Most end up along the east coast South China sea side of peninsular Malaysia. The main dive areas are Perhentian, Redang and Tioman.

If you can afford the time, then go to Sabah and dive Sipadan, Mabul, Kapalai... there is also a LOB operating there.

CD_in_Chitown:
I am going to be in Kuala Lumpur in November and am wondering what are the options for stretching a few extra days onto a business trip, is there diving near there in Malaysia or should I look at flying to Thailand?

if you're going 2nd half of november then best bet as mentioned above is East Malaysia/Borneo - Mabul Sipadan. Liveaboards is another option. Penetration divers (SG outfit) might have some running. or head north to thailand (air asia to phuket, for example). West coast of Malaysia up north near Penang you have day trips for 2 dives, lunch, etc offa Payar Island (operator is Langkawi Coral). there's also some diving near Lumut/Pangkor Island. it's ~ 150 miles from KL. Penang is 250 miles north (4-5 hours if you drive), 45 mins as the crow flies.

CD_in_Chitown:
Is there any shorediving around KL?

Port Dickson, about 2 hours drive. i haven't been there personally but a local get together by members of a local internet dive community mentioned shallow reef, etc there. decent, but nothing to shout about. oh, and a long walk before u get decent depth.

CD_in_Chitown:
What about operators and what are the sights to see from a boat?
www.recntec.com is local in KL who might provide more options.

CD_in_Chitown:
And what are the land transportation options, how pricey is car rental, how does the traffic around KL compare to Seoul?
land transport there is train service (quaint, not Amtrak), bus service (22 seater 'executive coach' to the more paced 40 seater), self drive (rental ranges from ~ 30 USD on up. Kosina car rental is kinda like a local Enterprice rent-a-car. there are local rent a wreck too if you're adventurous (my advise ... don't). traffic around KL ... imagine driving through south side Chicago to O'Hare but with more cars than lanes. peak times of major city circuit hiways a bit like Seoul to Anam.

PM for more info. oh, i am in Penang.

CD_in_Chitown:
I am going to be in Kuala Lumpur in November and am wondering what are the options for stretching a few extra days onto a business trip, is there diving near there in Malaysia or should I look at flying to Thailand? etc, any and all advice is appreciated. Is there any shorediving around KL? What about operators and what are the sights to see from a boat? And what are the land transportation options, how pricey is car rental, how does the traffic around KL compare to Seoul?

Not advisable to drive in KL if you are not familliar with the roads here. The drivers in Kuala Lumpur I would say comparable to those in New York, and we drive on the wrong side of the road :). The best transport around Kuala Lumpur is probably by taxi. If you are going out of town. The options are like what Lanun mentioned.

Most good dive sites in Pennisular Malaysia are off the east coast islands (Redang, Perhentian, Tenggol, Tioman and Aur..). Unfortunately the islands basically shuts down starting from the month of November up to Febuary the next year due to mosoon season. If you are here in November and itching for some dive action in Malaysia, I second what jiveturkey says, head to Borneo (Sipadan) and have a blast. Three hours of flight time, forty five minutes land transfer plus another forty minutes boat transfer, and you are ready for some great diving. One week would be nice, but you would still go away happy if you have only about four to five days to spare :).

You can fly to Tioman; about an hour from KL. Or, you can drive to Mersing and catch the ferry across to the island. All you need to do is follow the signs to Johor Baru on the north/south highway. Keep an eye out for the Ayer Hitam exit. Take that and then head to Kluang. When you get through Kluang, follow the signs to Mersing.

There are also coaches which go to Mersing if you don't fancy driving.

Get in touch with this mob http://www.tioman-dive-centre.com/. They may still be operating.

Hi CD,

Check with B&J dive shop in Tioman what the conditions are like and which hotels are open because this month alot of places will be closing because of the monsoon season, and it all depends how much time you have there is plenty of good diving in Malaysia but the weather might spoil some of the fun in November.

Skip the East Coast of Malaysia in November. It's Monsoon season, and the water (viz, surge) as well as the weather (wind, rain) can make diving less than pleasant. Why put up with that when you have better options all around? You can go to East Malaysia (Sipadan/Mabul/Kapalai, Mataking), of course. Or you can hop up to Phuket. Sipadan is a bit of a hassle to get to, taking a whole day to accomplish (flights, van ride, boat ride before you even get to your dive resort), but it is worth it. Phuket is easier and much, much quicker to get to (a one-hour flight from KLIA); and November is the beginning of the season, with excellent diving.

While in KL, take taxis. That being said, driving in Malaysia--if you stick to the cities and major highways--is not much of a problem. The main issue with driving in KL is that it is quite confusing to find your way from point A to point B. Malaysians drive slow (NOTHING like New York or Chicago), the traffic lanes are wide; but drivers tend to hug or even travel on the dividing line, so it's sort of hard to read their intentions. The biggest adjustment for an American is the prevalence of two-wheel vehicles in cities. There are thousands and thousands. Sometimes a hundred at a single traffic light at rush hour. These drivers often don't drive cars, so you can't count on them to pay attention to blind spots, stopping distances, etc. You won't need a car in KL, but if you want to go visit nearby places like Melakka, it's a great thing to have your own transportation. You can rent a car at the airport fairly cheaply.

Quite the reverse, it's high season in Langkawi (just like Phuket). Diving can be done in Payar Island, some 1 hour boat journey away from Langkawi Island. You can also get to Payar Island from Penang. See my travelogue below on Payar Island and the 2 dive sites I went early this month (Coral Garden and Lembu Rock)

Payar Island: http://www.malaysia-islands.com/payar-beach.htm
Coral Garden: http://www.malaysia-islands.com/payar-coralgarden.htm
Lembu Rock: http://www.malaysia-islands.com/payar-lemburock.htm

I dived with East Marine dive operator. Very professional.

malaysia-islands:
Quite the reverse, it's high season in Langkawi (just like Phuket). Diving can be done in Payar Island, some 1 hour boat journey away from Langkawi Island. You can also get to Payar Island from Penang. See my travelogue below on Payar Island and the 2 dive sites I went early this month (Coral Garden and Lembu Rock)

Payar Island: http://www.malaysia-islands.com/payar-beach.htm
Coral Garden: http://www.malaysia-islands.com/payar-coralgarden.htm
Lembu Rock: http://www.malaysia-islands.com/payar-lemburock.htm

I dived with East Marine dive operator. Very professional.

I have one totally free day on my own in Penang, while on a business trip. My initial research showed that my most likely bet for diving will be Langkawi. I also came across East Marine Divers, which will do a package for me with equipment, pickup, etc. for RM 320. Seems a bit steep given the cost of living the last time I was in Penang, but as long as I am not being given the rich tourist price (which, relatively speaking, I guess I am), I'm ok with it. But I've also worked as a divemaster in Asia and Latin America, so don't need any pampering.

Are there any good options besides Langkawi for a day trip? Any other shops I should check out besides East Marine? Any resources on type of conditions to expect? I had always wanted to check out the muck diving in Sipadan -- will this be similar at all?

Thanks,
Louie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom