Traveling with Vintage Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Airleron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going on my yearly pilgrimage to Coz this September and considering taking my Phoenix along for the ride. He's only traveled and been used at local dive sites here in FL, so I'm super tempted to take him along.

Has anyone run into difficulties, from TSA to foreign dive charters having issues with "different" gear? I'm guessing I would need to bring along Titan just in case. My other concern is theft considering I'll be leaving it in a locker at a dive shop for the week.

Thanks!

Lisa

I always travel with two Phoenix RAM (one is often a loaner to the dive master or other friends), a couple of single hose regulators (Titan 1st w Scubapro 109 2nd stages), and several dive computer. All of this goes in my carry-on luggage with my mask (and a spare), etc. It is guarantee that I will get extra inspection from TSA… it is just part of the process. It is sometimes a bit annoying, but my wife and I have gotten used to it.

I also carry a small computer backpack with a laptop (or two) which adds to the hassle.

We use the gear locker for our backpack/BC, weight belts, fins, etc, but we never leave our regulators, computers, or mask on the locker. They get special cleaning and are left out in the room to dry out.

We never use the rinse bucket for the mask… any suntan lotion from other divers can ruin the anti fog cleaning.

The regulators are not specially babied during the trip, I do use the dunk tank for them, but I don’t like to leave them in the gear locker. I only remove the hoses to dry at the end of the trip, not during the days of diving.

For packing any double hose I always remove the hoses from the can. I have seen hoses cut and rip from the pressure inside the suit case against the horns of the can. It also makes packing a lot easier when the hoses are not attached.

I actually even remove the LP and HP hoses from my Phoenix RAM. It just packs a lot tighter in my carry on and as I mentioned, it will be open and disturbed by TSA.

We are going to Cozumel in November and several other vintage equipment divers are joining us… it is too bad we didn’t coordinate earlier. Have you made all your reservations?

You got me thinking about Cozumel… I can’t wait.

Thanks for the info Luis! I thought about carrying it on in my backpack with other "valuables". My husband also has a Phoenix and he was wondering also.

I can't believe I'm going to miss another opportunity to dive with you guys! Nuts!!!

We are members of the Delta Airlines Dive club and this is our yearly get together, in the heart of Hurricane season. Ha! We've been lucky and had some near misses. Out of the last 4 years we've only missed 2 days of diving.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom