Traveling with underwater flashlights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlenH

New
Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with the TSA and underwater flashlights? From what I have read, you can only take them as a carry-on and must have the batteries removed with the ends taped and in their original packing. I am taking two dive lights, one has 8 C batteries, the other uses 4 C's.
I'm getting ready for a trip to Roatan on Delta airlines.

I've had all of my dive lights packed in my checked luggage with the rest of my dive gear on several flights with no problems. I usually remove the batteries so that they don't turn on in my bag and wear down. I believe that the concern is mostly for larger lights that get really hot when they turn on and could cause a fire.

I would follow the recommendations from TSA because sometimes they get really picky about things.

I've never had a problem. We don't keep batteries taped or in original packages, but rather in little plastic battery cases. (With rechargeables original packaging isn't really a useful option anyway.)

I don't leave batteries in lights. I also don't do things like flip batteries over or put in cardboard insulators. While that may prevent a light from turning on accidentally, it's still going to look like a battery full of lights on xray and attract attention.

The checked vs carryon thing seems to change with the wind. We have generally been checking most of our batteries lately, but sometimes it's a matter of where it makes sense to put the weight. The Lion ones (just a few for cameras) we've been carrying on, which is what I think the current regs say.

I always travel with both my primary and backup lights in the checked bags without the batteries installed. No problems so far.

If you were reading another thread, what you might gain from it after a careful re-reading, is that the issues were with outbound Honduran TSA, while leaving, after your dive vacation.

Check that thread for various bits of real life experience as well as imaginary stuff.... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/299957-going-thru-customs-getting-batteries-thru.html (Obviously "Customs" is of no concern... it's TSA that is the issue)

Whatever course of action that you select, by all means, incapacitate the batteries by taping the contacts- especially if you leave them in the lights for shipment.

As I mentioned previously- I have seen two smoldering dive bags on their ways to the dive-op. It is only a matter of time before a diver's light causes a fire in an aircraft. Mark my words- then you'll see real restrictions on dive gear... and with high temp dive lights- it will happen.

Just take batteries out [common sense], and that should eliminate all problems. "rules" are really quirky outside of US and depends on person you are dealing with. I've seen that one come up only once, flying back from Grand Cayman.

I usually carry all batts in plastic cases or tubes, or bring fresh packs. Nothing else is really needed.

we always take batteries out, pack the lights in checked bags, carry the batteries in carry-on bags along with our rechargeable batteries from our camera gear. It makes for alot of batteries, but we have yet to have any taken away. Actually, on our last trip, I forgot to take batteries out of one dive light, it made it through with no problems. Oops! :shocked2:

Has anyone had any issues with the TSA and underwater flashlights? From what I have read, you can only take them as a carry-on and must have the batteries removed with the ends taped and in their original packing. I am taking two dive lights, one has 8 C batteries, the other uses 4 C's.
I'm getting ready for a trip to Roatan on Delta airlines.

Got back from Dominica a couple weeks ago(& it's the way I've ALWAYS carried them) ----packed 3 flashlites all in my checked in suitcase----no problem....Actually took the batteries out(due to weight limit of checked in luggage for Liat airlines) and carried all batteries in my carryon....

EDIT: we flew Cont. to San Juan & SJ on to Dominica via a couple island stops......

You could get all the info you want on the TSA website. I think you are referring to the regulation concerning rechargeable lithium ion batteries. You can err on the side of caution and pack them in a carry-on, but the intent was to include larger Lit. ion batteries, not common AAA, AA, C and D size batteries. These I leave in my light and just pack it with the rest of my checked gear.

The reason, as they state it, was so that in case the batteries would cause a fire it would be in a location (carry-on) where it could be noticed and extinguished before it got out of hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom