Traveling with SCUBA gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RollingBlackOut

Registered
Reaction score
Hoping this is the right thread to post this question...

What do most divers do with gear when traveling for dives? In other words, do most divers rely on the equipment at their destination dive shop, or do most divers travel with their own gear. I heard it's a matter of personal preference, but I think I would want to travel with my own snorkel, mask, fins, and maybe my own BC? If I wanted to stretch it, maybe even buy and bring my own regulator? Are there travel bags to carry your gear?

What do most people do? Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice/personal tips

you will find most people on this board own their own and travel with their own, myself included. The diving population as a whole will typically rent.

Plenty of options for bags to carry your gear, but I can get damned near everything in a standard rollaboard *my fins are a bit too long*, and if checking a back, I will distribute and put fragile/expensive things in carryon and the not so fragile stuff in checked luggage. Typically regs, computer, etc. will come on board with me and everything else will get checked.

What do most divers do with gear when traveling for dives? In other words, do most divers rely on the equipment at their destination dive shop, or do most divers travel with their own gear.

Funny you should ask. I just ordered a "Travel BCD" a couple of hours ago. I'd been taking along all of the rest of my equipment and renting a BCD when I got there. I figured that I spent well over $100 in the past year renting BCDs so my new one should pay for itself fairly quickly. Plus I'll know where the buttons and dump valves are.

I have a typical carry-on bag that is the maximum allowed on many airlines. I am able to fit into it my fins, mask, snorkel, fin socks, gloves, regulator setup, a couple of flashlights, my GoPro clone, and a few other miscellaneous pieces of gear. I also have a small backpack which is my under-the-seat carry-on and in it is my 2.5mm full wetsuit. Since I (so far) only take trips to tropical places this wetsuit is just the right thing. Between the pieces of dive gear I manage to stuff in some T-shirts, shorts, socks, underwear, snacks, USB chargers, ziplock bag of bathroom stuff, and on top I carefully place a couple of decent shirts so I can go to a nice restaurant etc. I also have room in my backpack for more clothes. I bring along a hoodie sweatshirt which I attack to the outside of my main carry-on with a strap. We'll see how well the new BCD fits into my carry-on--I may have to buy more souvenir T-shirts than I have been :wink: I have not yet been on a dive boat that did not provide tanks and weights included with the dives.

My fins are the old, regular ScubaPro Jet Fins (not split) and they fit right into my carry-on and are good, all-purpose fins. Most fins won't fit into my carry-on. I have seen too many people arrive before their luggage and end up renting anyway so I don't do checked bags. I like using my own regulator because I know it and it's condition.

I'm planning a trip to Catalina Island (California) on the ferry so I don't yet know how I'm going to get my 7mm wetsuit in a suit case and still have room for the other stuff but you can be sure I won't be diving in 53 degree water with my 2.5mm :wink:

I own travel with all of what I need except lead and tanks. I don't rent anything. The minimum you should own and travel with is:

1. Regulator with all components.

2. Dive Computer with pressure.

3. BC with weight belt/pockets

4. Appropriate thermal protection

5. M/F/S

6. DSMB with reel

7. "Save A dive Kit"

8. Knife

9. Spare reg. and DC.

10. High powered Whistle

11. Anything else I would rent.

(I am not including camera equipment as dive gear here).

I travel with everything and pack it all in my luggage except for my prescription mask (which I could not replace if lost) and my computer (because it's really small). The rest I could replace/rent if needed, but it's great being on a dive when you don't have to worry about how your equipment will perform.

Dear RBO,

Have traveled with complete kit for many years...all you should be looking for at your destination is a ride to the wrecks, tanks and weights...I place my regs, masks, computer and C-Cards in my carry-on...everything else is in checked baggage...I have a standard size, hard-shell, lockable Samsonite case that everything else goes in...I prepare a gear list to show the folks at check-in...usually...sporting equipment...including scuba gear travels with no additional overage charges...stay away from "branded" scuba gear bags...your advertising that you have a bag with maybe $5000. worth of scuba gear...regardless of what some people may tell you...don't waste your money on a shorty...travel with a full suit...and gloves...if you are unfamiliar with the appearance of fire coral an exposed hand, arm or leg will introduce you to the species immediately...as well has helping the check-in staff your gear list makes an excellent "personal property" check on crowded dive boats...I've been on large dive boats...as many as 30 divers (Turks an Caicos)...lots of gear...lots of opportunity to lose something you can't get a quick replacement for...type your list on your computer...print it off...and seal it in a plastic page protector...or if you can't live without your smart phone...put your gear list on your phone...when you get back to your hotel...fill your tub with warm water and give everything a good...quick...wash...regs and computer first...then your BCD...(activate inflator buttons and dump valves to flush out residual saltwater)...then wash everything else...dry, out of the sun, on your patio or balcony...everything should be dry and clean for the next morning...buy a good quality, large, net duffel to carry your gear to and from the dive operators...when empty they collapse into nothing...everything...including your suit, BCD and regs should fit in your net duffel...avoid dive operators dunk tanks for rinsing your gear post dive...the tanks are usually only clean in the morning...by mid day they have as much sea water in them as the ocean...make contact with your destination dive operator prior to your departure...it's always good to know what they have...and do not have available...a lot of destination dive operators although very good are very "bare bones" even something as simple as an "O" kit is not available...also a lot of operators have no ready source for oxygen, are not gas blend certified...so there is no NITROX.

Hope this helps...Warren

I have taken my own complete dive set all over the world; the concession I make is a I have a lighter weight travel BC. I have my own gear, I am familiar with it, and I like to use it. I recently went to a Scubapro demo where the entire tropical destination gear package went into a single carryon backpack. Since many liveaboard request that you use collapsible luggage, I use a non-descript roller bag and use my fins, BC, and wetsuit as bracng for the more sensitive gear such as regulators. I throw my mask and computer in my carry on.

I've been taking all my own gear, and often 1-3 other family member's gear all over for 20 years. The majority of the equipment and extra clothes go in a roller duffel or a hard sided, soft suitcase. I generally take a carry on and/or a backpack. You have to be careful with a carry on as most airlines have reduced the allowed size, some even use the 2015 IATA recommendation, which is very small. Best thing to do is check the restrictions on all airlines/flights you will be taking and comply with their rules or be prepared extra fees. An electronic luggage scale is a good investment. Another good thing to check is the battery restrictions, pack them in a carry on.

I think you will find 3 flavours of travel divers:
- own and bring all gear
- own but only bring some gear (mask regs computer)
- Don't bring anything, rent it all
Choose what works for you.

From a packing perspective scuba gear is just luggage.

I carry all my own gear all over the world. It's a pain in the @ss but I know my own gear, so wouldn't have it any other way.

I've got a 26" hardside clamshell that holds all my gear on one side and clothing in zipper compartment on the other. That said, mask, regs and computer come with me in my carry-on. Sometimes, depending on weight, I'll put my regs in checked bags on my way home from a trip.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom